DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Considering the general opinion is that WWE's stock is totally fucked the moment Vince kicks the bucket, I half expect Triple H and Stephanie to pull a Weekend at Bernies-type stunt and pretend to the world he's still alive.

Remember that Tupac hologram? Well, basically something like that, only with Vince.

Doable.

videodrome5.jpg

• Like 3

Just from the teaser, this feels dangerously close to Roddy being back on the outs with WWE again. Not quite as bad as the HBO interview, but still.

I'll always get a kick out of the fact that he thinks the Bronswik Affair was a real documentary and not satirical fiction.

Also, the Hogan-Orndorff comment is pretty funny given that feud a couple years later ended up being one of the hottest runs of Hogan's original title reign.

What are the opinions around here over DDP as the Stalker back in 2001? Just watched the reveal moment again and he cuts a hell of a good heel promo to turn the crowd after the initial pop.

I know the follow up was awful and that Page was relegated to the lower card for whatever reason but man... It feels like Page v Taker should've been on of the lynch pins of the Invasion next to Rock v Booker v Jericho and Austin v Angle v RVD.

I thought the stalker angle was interesting, but as soon as it was revealed to be DDP, I knew he was doomed. That was also in the period where Undertaker wasn't putting anyone over and he sure as shit wasn't putting over a WCW dude at that point. I also think Undertaker was fresh off of burying Kronik.

Hah, Undertaker buried the shit out of Kronik and DDP, two of the better parts of WCW at the end.

I thought the stalker angle was okay. But I can't think of it without thinking of that Raw with Page yanking out Sara's weave. Me and my little sister were debuting if that was her real hair because it was so damn long. When it came out, my sister was so proud to shout, "I KNEW THAT SHIT WAS A WEAVE! I TOLD YOU SO!"

What are the opinions around here over DDP as the Stalker back in 2001? Just watched the reveal moment again and he cuts a hell of a good heel promo to turn the crowd after the initial pop.

I know the follow up was awful and that Page was relegated to the lower card for whatever reason but man... It feels like Page v Taker should've been on of the lynch pins of the Invasion next to Rock v Booker v Jericho and Austin v Angle v RVD.

I thought the stalker angle was interesting, but as soon as it was revealed to be DDP, I knew he was doomed. That was also in the period where Undertaker wasn't putting anyone over and he sure as shit wasn't putting over a WCW dude at that point. I also think Undertaker was fresh off of burying Kronik.

Hah, Undertaker buried the shit out of Kronik and DDP, two of the better parts of WCW at the end.

The Kronik thing was in the fall while DDP was in the summer.

The DDP burial has always stood out as one of the weirder aspects of the Invasion to me. He's generally considered one of the more well-liked guys in the business, and one of the few guys who wouldn't have come in from WCW with a big head. A "diamond cutter vs. stunner" feud between him and Austin would have been money. Why bury him so thoroughly, and why have the most respected guy in your locker room do it to boot? The only thing I can come up with is that he was being punished for his closeness to Bischoff.

As for Kronik, from what I could gather the gist of the story there is that Undertaker got them brought in due to his friendship with Adams, only to get pissed off at the poor attitude/work ethic they'd developed in WCW, leading to them getting buried and fired instead. Am I correct in that assessment?

• Like 1

Just watched the WWE episode of the Soup and while mostly terrible JBL, Cole, and Lawler ripping on the Miz was gold. I'm not sure JBL was joking when he said "To bad it didn't kill him" in regards to a brutal kick Miz took from Kofi.

I get that WWE is a business and all, but I'm not sure the same company that celebrated Darren Young coming out should be running in places that openly kill people for being gay. And that's not even getting into the treatment of women. Stephanie is an empowered woman, but totally OK with promoting shows where women are literally banned from attending? (Wouldn't she be banned from participating as an on-screen character too?)

And come on, WWE has tons of money. You think missing out on a few of these places is going to break the bank? Of course not.

Yeah, they could run Idaho again and get the same level of tolerance.

Fucking Saudi Arabia gets a wrestling show before Boise. Fuck me...

The DDP burial has always stood out as one of the weirder aspects of the Invasion to me. He's generally considered one of the more well-liked guys in the business, and one of the few guys who wouldn't have come in from WCW with a big head. A "diamond cutter vs. stunner" feud between him and Austin would have been money. Why bury him so thoroughly, and why have the most respected guy in your locker room do it to boot? The only thing I can come up with is that he was being punished for his closeness to Bischoff.

As for Kronik, from what I could gather the gist of the story there is that Undertaker got them brought in due to his friendship with Adams, only to get pissed off at the poor attitude/work ethic they'd developed in WCW, leading to them getting buried and fired instead. Am I correct in that assessment?

From everything I've heard, DDP's insane match planning rubbed people the wrong way.

From everything I've heard, DDP's insane match planning rubbed people the wrong way.

Which makes his burial at the hands of a man who also planned out his matches in extreme detail, the Undertaker, that much funnier, or odd depending on how you look at it.

• Like 1

I believe what happened was that they had asked both members of KroniK to go down to developmental for a few weeks/months to hone their skills a little more to WWE style, and from what I remember reading at the time, Bryan Clarke was OK with it, but Brian Adams was completely offended and refused. They got squashed by Kane/UT and were then never seen again.

It must've been the other way around, because I remember Adams in HWA.

Yea a google search could probably resolve it but my memory at the time was that Clark was asked to go do developmental after the UT match but said no, not sure what Adams did.  I was sad, I really liked Kronik (I am one of the six fans of Bryan Clark in the world) but man that match was terrible.

Edit:  WIkipedia says that Clark was hurt and was released, and Adams went to HWA for a bit.

Do we know the new Chikara roster yet?

I'm sure the old standbys will be there - Ultramantis Black, ants, Dasher Hatfield - but can we expect folks like Tim Donst, Mr. Touchdown, Ophidian, the Batiri? And any new talent on the horizon?

I'm sure the old standbys will be there - Ultramantis Black, ants, Dasher Hatfield - but can we expect folks like Tim Donst, Mr. Touchdown, Ophidian, the Batiri? And any new talent on the horizon?

I believe Tim Donst, Sugar Dunkerton and Saturyne are all gone.  Donst tweeted about it a while back.

Other than that... don't know.  If they can sell out shows without announcing matches then I guess they're not in a particular hurry to announce any of the upcoming cards.

Donst seems done, but the Batiri, Touchdown, and Ophidian were all in the group Chikara had fighting off the Rudo army on Pro Wrestling Day, so safe to say they are in.

If I had to call it, I'd say guys who won't be back, at least not right away, would be Taylor, Gargano, Akuma, and Soldier Ant.