DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

it's like writing into the Weekly World News to complain that there really wasn't a Bat Boy.

I don't want to live in a world where I can't believe in the Bat Boy.

We don't have to believe we can know that the Batboy is real, he posts here sometimes.

• Like 1

I was watching the little mini Goldust doc they put on between shows on WWE Network, and it made me think about how much of a 180 it is for him to have gone from "Son of a working-class Texan" to "movie-obsessed androgynous dude who uses people's homophobia against them to win matches" in terms of gimmicks. 

I wondered what y'all thought some of the weirdest gimmick shifts that wrestlers got when going from one company to another are. Are there any that you think are even stranger than Dustin Rhodes/Goldust? I thought of maybe saying Doink the Clown was even stranger, but Big Josh is also a weird cartoonish character, though going from "proud lumberjack" to "evil clown" definitely qualifies on at least an honorable mention list.

How about Dan Spivey? Ending his career as Waylon Mercy is certainly a big shift from the US Express, Varsity Club, and Skyscrapers.

You make like Starship Eagle never happened!

James

I wondered what y'all thought some of the weirdest gimmick shifts that wrestlers got when going from one company to another are.

Bloodthirsty asskickers to headlicking morons.

Hulk Hogan's brother to male stripper to barber to butcher to literally having no gimmick as being your gimmick to psychotic idiot to Hulkamania spy to dancing idiot to biker guy.

• Like 1

Shane Helms going from boy band member to superhero was pretty dramatic.

For staying in one company, Glen Jacobs went from dentist to Kevin Nash impersonator to Undertaker's brother who is varying levels of deformed/handicapped/evil (to be fair, he has ridden that one for a while).

There's a lot of answers that end with "to fat man who dances". We've got Brodus ("from angry Del Rio bodyguard"), Tensai ("from faux Japanese warrior"), Rikishi ("from mute masked Arab stereotype") and PN News ("from big angry Cannonball Grizzly") off the top if my head

To be fair, Tensai was a dancing fat man in the past and PN News went back to Cannonball Grizzly amongst other names after that.

How bout going from The Great and Powerful Oz to Lounge Lizard Vinnie Vegas To Keep on Trucking Diesel  to finally just Kevin Nash.

Kevin Nash's career progression is one of steadily dressing more and more normally, and talking more and more.

How bout going from The Great and Powerful Oz to Lounge Lizard Vinnie Vegas To Keep on Trucking Diesel  to finally just Kevin Nash.

Kevin Nash's career progression is one of steadily dressing more and more normally, and talking more and more.

And, until WCW closed, getting paid more and more money in the process.

There's a lot of answers that end with "to fat man who dances". We've got Brodus ("from angry Del Rio bodyguard"), Tensai ("from faux Japanese warrior"), Rikishi ("from mute masked Arab stereotype") and PN News ("from big angry Cannonball Grizzly") off the top if my head

That One Man Gang guy probably qualifies too.  JIVE SOUL BRO.

• Like 1

I am not going to moving the post (at least not now since I am only reading the board because I am eating) but yeah - the speculation over who should or should not be in the WWE Hall of Fame should be contain in the thread that is amazingly enough called "WWE Hall of Fame"

Morelock gets a Worldwide point for the Antichristo post

And y'all need to thank Smelly McUgly for saving this month's thread

And in terms of gimmick shifts - Leo Kruger to Adam Rose is fairly wacky