DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Berman at least has more charm than the typical guy who wants a picture at Wrestlecon.

The level of Berman charm plummets precipitously with each button that pops open.

There is a mathematical formula for it.  Something like:

funny story - gas

T=  _________________________

belly hair * (t-shirt stains + under-comb-over scalp purpleness)

where T solves for the tolerability of continuing to live.

• Like 2

I guess what I'm saying is that I like Renee, but don't give a shit if I ever watch WWE again.  I'd enjoy seeing her on Sportscenter, even though ESPN is pretty fucking terrible too.  Unfortunately they have the NBA license so I have to watch from time to time.

Also I'm incredibly stressed out, so I'm somewhat combative and cranky tonight.

Renee has to stick around to she can do more interviews with The Shield were they mercilessly make fun of her and come off as the most hilarious people ever.I for

Saying "baby doll" made Roman Reigns the future of the business. :rolleyes:

Is belly hair measured in area, or individual hair count?

I fucking LOVE comedy/ironic math!

Well I thought it was common knowledge but if you need a remedial in basic math:

Belly Hair = (hair count + avg. length) * (belly-whiteness)button-lint

geez.

From the "TNA is crazy and has odd priorities" file, TNA has apparently banned its wrestlers from taking photos with Jeff Jarrett, per Meltzer. Some photos surfaced of some TNA guys with Jarrett and there was major heat over it. 

I want Lawler gone as much as anyone, but he's the color guy, Renee isn't. It would be more likely to be JBL, which is a shame because I still like JBL, but Renee is better.

Renee is probably already better at color commentary then Lawler.  That's the role she usually fills in NXT: interchangeable pbp guy (Tom...Phillps? Byron Saxton. That other guy...); former/part-time wrestler (A-Train, Alex Riley, Regal) with Young filling in the second color role, mainly for women.

TNA: keeping tabs on instagram like a teenaged girl...We're a business!!!!!!

In Dixie's mind:

Things that don't make you look bad:

Blatantly ripping off WWE angles less than a week after they air

Having employees on food stamps

Not paying medical bills for in-ring injuries

Holding house shows where about 12 people show up

Horrible ratings

Pretty much failing at everything you've ever tried.

Things that do make you look bad:

Someone taking a photo with Jeff Jarrett.

• Like 1

From the "TNA is crazy and has odd priorities" file, TNA has apparently banned its wrestlers from taking photos with Jeff Jarrett, per Meltzer. Some photos surfaced of some TNA guys with Jarrett and there was major heat over it.

That seems like a reasonable rule to me.

I want Lawler gone as much as anyone, but he's the color guy, Renee isn't. It would be more likely to be JBL, which is a shame because I still like JBL, but Renee is better.

Lawler and JBL are equally terrible these days, but if I had to pick, I'd actually keep Lawler. His senior moments and recycled jokes are still preferable to JBL vehemently trying to get himself over in every segment. Nothing's worse these days then trying to watch a good match while JBL is desperately trying to pick a fight with Michael Cole about something that may or may not be related to whoever is wrestling at the moment. Renee and Regal need to replace both of those goofs yesterday, though. Albert and Riley can hold down the fort on NXT. Move JBL to the pre/post show panel where he can troll all he wants, and just send Lawler home with a legends deal or something.

Actually, I think the heel announcer concept is even worse than the heel authority figure concept as far as wrestling tropes go. Has anyone done it right since Ventura? The best wrestling announcers are the ones that play it straight and professional, or at least try to stay objective. Even JR (who really wore his heart on his sleeve) gave HHH respect back in the day. Could you imagine Skip Bayless calling NFL games? I'm not sure why wrestling hangs on to this backwards concept for live commentary.

I remember when Lawler had his heart attack and was near death and I was, like, God, if you bring him back he can totally be the Raw announcer til the end of time and I will never again complain about his terrible commentary.

So, yeah, God is holding me to the deal, I think.

So I was watching Summerslam 1990 and Brother Love brought Sgt. Slaughter out to cut a promo. Slaughter was just beginning his Anti-America schtick. It was kind of standard stuff, with him talking about how soft America was and the crowd seemed kind of disinterested. Then he said if War broke out in the Middle East our troops would get their butts kicked. Holy Shit. Boy would that not fly today.

My question to the masses - How did you view Slaughter's run as Iraqi Sympathizer then, and how do you view it in hindsight?

It was an interesting take, I was heart broken and terrified. Since I watched Sarge beat down Serpentor in a swamp. I thought he was going to murder Warrior and Hulk. 

Never got why people got so offended. Was there some radical difference between heel Sarge and Iron Shiek exploiting the hostage crisis? 

Lawler and JBL are equally terrible these days, but if I had to pick, I'd actually keep Lawler. His senior moments and recycled jokes are still preferable to JBL vehemently trying to get himself over in every segment. Nothing's worse these days then trying to watch a good match while JBL is desperately trying to pick a fight with Michael Cole about something that may or may not be related to whoever is wrestling at the moment. Renee and Regal need to replace both of those goofs yesterday, though. Albert and Riley can hold down the fort on NXT. Move JBL to the pre/post show panel where he can troll all he wants, and just send Lawler home with a legends deal or something.

Actually, I think the heel announcer concept is even worse than the heel authority figure concept as far as wrestling tropes go. Has anyone done it right since Ventura? The best wrestling announcers are the ones that play it straight and professional, or at least try to stay objective. Even JR (who really wore his heart on his sleeve) gave HHH respect back in the day. Could you imagine Skip Bayless calling NFL games? I'm not sure why wrestling hangs on to this backwards concept for live commentary.

Lest we not forget these days:

2008-03-31-commentary_zps559554e4.jpg

Honestly, I still enjoy King. Yes, he's corny, but that's his thing. Mean Gene is really corny too, and both of them still get a chuckle out of me and everyone that watches with me becuase it's just harmless fun. I'd take corny King over "Puppies!" King anyday. As far as JBL, I enjoy him also, espically when he yells "IT'S _____ MICHEAL!" about the randomest things.