DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

His timing on his three point stance shoulder tackle was impeccable, Rippa. I would say he's in the Top 5, three point stance executors ALL. TIME.

How were his facials after executing the three point stance tackle?

• Like 1

Heh, I have been lurking here a fairly long while, but I don't remember that. For me, I went back and watched Nitro in the mid-'90s a few months ago, and I was surprised that Mongo was decent for what he was instead of flat out sucking, which is how I remember him. I'm sure sometimes "better than I originally remember him or her being" sometimes gets hyperbolically turned into "hidden gem of a super-worker."

Besides, I firmly believe that the super-worker of Nitro for '95 and '96 was Dean Malenko. 

His timing on his three point stance shoulder tackle was impeccable, Rippa. I would say he's in the Top 5, three point stance executors ALL. TIME.

I say Nay Nay!

Duggan, Norton, Steve Williams, Ron Simmons, LT, Reggie White and Kevin Greene's 3 point stances were all better. And I have to assume at some point folks like Wahoo, Bronko and Ernie Ladd did them and I am damn sure they were better.

I remember that for a while my memories of Mongo got a little foggy and i thought that he didn't use to be THAT bad.

But then he appeared at a TNA show as a special guest referee and seriously couldn't do a simple three count correctly to save his life, that cleared everything up again.

I say Nay Nay!

Duggan, Norton, Steve Williams, Ron Simmons, LT, Reggie White and Kevin Greene's 3 point stances were all better. And I have to assume at some point folks like Wahoo, Bronko and Ernie Ladd did them and I am damn sure they were better.

Which guys were clearly worse?

I'm pretty sure Mongo was wasted during his TNA appearance.  He was just standing around smiling like a goof while guys had to yell at him to count.  It was hilarious.

I thought the Hobo Army was supposed to come out of Punk leaving with the title not the limo death angle.  Like Vince was going to be fired for letting Punk walk out of the company with the title and for some unstated reason was going to return for revenge leading an army of hobos.

Whatever the case, the fact we still don't have a Hobo Army in 2014 is very disappointing.

September 3 was Kennedy saying he was the son, but the lawyer saying he wasn't (and then vanishing for his suspension)

I vaguely remember this being one of the most brutal burials of all-time.  Vince basically said he wasn't good enough to be a McMahon, then I think someone beat him up., then he was suspended off TV for quite a while.  I remember thinking "Well, that's it, he's finished". 

I still think the whole angle/endgame was because someone read my fantasy booking post around the time that they basically do King Lear with Vince deciding to break up his kingdom amongst his three heirs: Stephanie, Shane and Triple H (Some sort of legal loophole that says because kayfabe-wise Trips and Steph were married, he was entitled to part of it).  Stephanie refuses because she's the good child and doesn't want to see Vince retire, Vince gets mad and casts her out.  Trips and Shane go to war over who gets to run the company with Vince being beside himself in the background (nobody fears/cares about him anymore because he's not in power, save for his commissioner William Regal who walks around getting into mishaps with him).  Gradually, Vince begins to go insane as Shane and Triple H's war threatens to tear WWE apart, until Stephanie comes back with a group (NWO, 4 Horsemen, Austin and Rock) to save WWE and restore control to Vince.  

• Like 1

So, now that we've closed the book on Magnus's (first?) TNA title run, the question must be asked.

In terms of booking, has there ever been a worse world champion?

The only one I can think of would be Rey Mysterio.

Arquette

Sabin (TNA)

Sheiky (WWF)

Homicide (ROH)

One name I'm wanting to omit, due to the week that was (WWF)

Rick Martel (AWA)

Justin Credible (ECW)

Tommy Rich (NWA)

Ron Garvin (NWA)

Jarrett (TNA)

Shamrock (TNA)

Miz (WWE)

Martel?  Really?

Sheiky was a transitional champion and he was fine.

Rich wasn't champion long enough to amount to anything one way or the other.

Garvin would've been fine if they didn't give him all that time off.

Jarrett was insufferable as a babyface but he was fine as a heel.

Sabin, Credible, and Miz were all pretty bad, although booking wasn't Justin's problem.

TMZ reports that WWE is working on two tributes to the Ultimate Warrior. As previously reported, one of those specials is a tribute episode of RAW which will have more than the standard RIP notice given to most wrestlers that pass away. Producers are working on details but it will likely present Warrior's most memorable moments and his final appearance in the ring last week in New Orleans. The company is also putting together a special that will air on the WWE Network next Wednesday called Warrior: The Ultimate Legend.

Watching pudgy, immobile Rey Mysterio these days has made me wonder... What is the saddest regression of a great wrestler you can think of due to age/injury/etc?

Flair, Hogan, Foley, and Andre are probably cheating so I'll say end of the road Kobashi was really sad to me. Yokozuna too once he really ballooned up in weight.