DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

WWE News: Notes on Monday's Raw

Thursday, 10 April 2014 23:03

Monday's Raw TV show from Birmingham will be a tribute show for Ultimate Warrior.

Credit: f4wonline.com

How many RAW's were tribute shows? By my count: Owen Hart, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit and Ultimate Warrior.

Did they do a "tribute" show for.the Mr Mcmahon character after the limo explosion?

They're so distanced from Warrior's time that it's hard for me to picture what this will look like. With the others, they could just run matches that made sense. Past debuting Mojo, I don't know what they have. 

Is Bryan off for the wedding? if so, the timing actually sort of works out for them since his absence would be noted otherwise.

Monday's Raw TV show from Birmingham will be a tribute show for Ultimate Warrior.

How many RAW's were tribute shows? By my count: Owen Hart, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit and Ultimate Warrior.

Did they do a "tribute" show for.the Mr Mcmahon character after the limo explosion?

No - they had planned on doing one but the weekend prior to it all the Benoit stuff occurred so that show turned into the Benoit tribute

• Like 1

They're so distanced from Warrior's time that it's hard for me to picture what this will look like. With the others, they could just run matches that made sense. Past debuting Mojo, I don't know what they have. 

I'm thinking the matches will continue the current storylines but instead of the backstage stuff they are going to do the various guys talking about Warrior and showing clips bit

Oh and I guess maybe having like Hogan come out and talk (which would be awkward)

I still don't see how the Davey gif the hive mind obsesses over is any worse than the million other fighting spirit spots I've seen. Davey hits the superplex and rolls through, hell they pretty much bounce up. Then Eddie has his fighting spirit moment and reverses and sends them both to the floor.

The Davey hate is so played out.

Here's the thing: There is no struggle. If Davey tried to hit a second superplex, Eddie fought him, and the reversed it... I could give that a pass. But there's no fighting in this 'fighting spirit' spot. There's just "Superplex, get up, other guy hits a suplex." That, to me, is the problem, more than the sequence of moves itself. You can do "fighting spirit" spots, or "social dance" sequences... but when you combine the two, that's when things really fall apart.

There is a vertical suplex spot where one guy is on offense and you think he's going to do the suplex, and then, surprise, the other guy does it.  I know I've seen it in several matches - to cite one in particular, it was in the Chris Hero vs. Masato Tanaka match last weekend.  I get the impression that in general with that spot, there isn't supposed to be a struggle, because the whole point of it is the shock of the unexpected suplex.

Of course, when you put that spot immediately after a superplex, it looks more than a little ridiculous.

Pillman.

No - they had planned on doing one but the weekend prior to it all the Benoit stuff occurred so that show turned into the Benoit tribute

They definitely had a fake Vince tribute show. Benoit caused them to abort the angle the week after.

I remember this because people (Bix for sure, I think there were others) discussed it at length here, and some of those posts made it verbatim into that Matt Randazzo sleaze thread book about Benoit's death. One of the most surreal moments of my life was seeing DVDVR posts quoted in an actual published book.

I saw Batista say somewhere that he shakes the ropes in homage to The Ultimate Warrior. Bryan's comeback -- his adrenaline rush to start the comeback, when he shakes wildly before starting what are usually his corner dropkicks -- also definitely has an Ultimate Warrior influence to it, too.  Bryan said somewhere that Ultimate Warrior was his favorite wrestler as a kid and he may have taken from that.

It's really interesting now that I think of it that way. I love The Warrior but in a weird ironic way. I love his insane promos (and milked them in my amateur comedy career) but he wasn't any good in the ring, save for a few moments. But it's really interesting to see that guys of the modern era do see something to take from him. He could do a great Hulk Up sorta that got the fans behind him, and there's certainly something that requires craft to that, which I never really considered.

They definitely had a fake Vince tribute show. Benoit caused them to abort the angle the week after.

I remember this because people (Bix for sure, I think there were others) discussed it at length here, and some of those posts made it verbatim into that Matt Randazzo sleaze thread book about Benoit's death. One of the most surreal moments of my life was seeing DVDVR posts quoted in an actual published book.

From a quick glance at History of WWE.com...

June 11 - RAW - Limo Explodes

June 12 - ECW - 10 bell salute, matches on the show are dedicated to Vince

June 15 - SD - 10 bells, messages from Regal, Coach, Chavo, Edge and others about liking Vince; and introduction of a federal investigator

June 18 - RAW - A few more speeches, but not a tribute episode... Stephanie returns to say next week is a tribute to Vince, and every WWE superstar must show up... everyone is pointing fingers to find killer, and the investigator interviews people.  Oh, and a tribute to Sherri Martel who had died.

June 19 - ECW - nothing special

June 22 - SD - Teddy proposes, more accusations of murder, investigator finds DNA evidence of 3 people in limo (Vince, driver, ???)

June 24 - PPV - more accusations of murder

June 25 - Benoits found

June 25 - RAW - Vince tribute cancelled, Benoit tribute held