DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Yeah, Ki must not care as much about getting wins on the indies any more - maybe because of his quasi-retirement, maybe because of his abbreviated WWE run, who knows.

I was nodding off by the end because I have an old man's sleeping schedule, but people seem super high on Hero-Tanaka and Gargano-Ricochet.  Will have to rewatch those two.

If anyone would get royalties off the YES thing (... and they can't, because, well, it's the word "YES!"), it's Diego Sanchez.

Bryan/WWE lifted it from him and blew it up from there.

Under trademark law, if WWE could prove that Michigan State was appropriating the expression of "Yes!" that they trademarked then they would be entitled to royalties (and potential damages). The Michigan State shirts refer to the "Yes Yes Yes" chant at Breslin that utilized Bryan's mannerisms and style of saying the word. You can't trademark words per se, but you can trademark the expression of those words. 

Of course, SUING would be bad for WWE since it's basically free publicity but if people start associating the "Yes" chant with Michigan State then WWE might have actual damages.

Except for the aforementioned fact that "yes" thing was appropriated from Diego Sanchez

Did Sanchez use the associated arm motions? The MSU thing did and I assume that WWE's case would hinge on that. It might also depend on whether or not Sanchez ever trademarked it or marketed it in any way. WWE has and actually relies on it to generate revenue. IP Law is complex, but it's likely that Bryan (or more likely WWE) would be the party to whom damages would be owed. Sanchez's claim is also lessened by the fact that Travis Jackson (the player who led the chant) cited Daniel Bryan as his source material.

I have no particular issue with this, I just thought it would be an interesting issue to analyze. 

Lita looks tremendous but if everybody's acceptance speech goes half as long as her's, we're going to be here until 2 a.m.

I'm starting to rethink my stance on the whole "Band plays you off the stage" Academy Awards gimmick...

It's a hell of a lot better than shitty USA chopping it up like fuck. Don't complain. :)

No...it's really not. This is horrendous.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you sit through it. You could switch to something else and then come back when someone else is on.

It's a hell of a lot better than shitty USA chopping it up like fuck. Don't complain. :)

No...it's really not. This is horrendous.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you sit through it. You could switch to something else and then come back when someone else is on.

I could, but then I couldn't come online and bitch. You could also ignore my comments or block me if they are bothering you, so you're in the same boat chief.