DVDVR Message Board

Raw 3-31-14 - WM Go-Home Show

MGFanJay

Interesting how over The Shield are as a group, but when you get them in singles matches the crowd couldn't care less.

I think that is because Roman Reigns really isn't any good. Let's face it, he is the Shield ' version of Virgil.

This is either a poor attempt at trolling or you are very obtuse. Reigns is excellent in the ring, bright and articulate, cuts a good promo and the dude is only 28. I can't think of ANYONE I've seen in 40+ years of watching who has more potential to be THE MAN.  Trust me on this, the rest of the decade belongs to Roman Reigns.

I don't think it is obtuse at all.   I just don't buy into Roman.  I could be wrong, but I don't see him as the next John Cena, Rock, Hogan, or even Randy Orton.  I think he is great in 6 man tags with other talented workers, but let's be honest...he is not all that good in the ring.  His promos are just okay.  I can't see him carrying the WWE on his back.  Maybe he is the future, but in the present he has a ton of work to do.  Maybe I don't have 40+ years of watching under my belt, but I've been watching faithfully since WrestleMania IV, and I have seen lots of guys with as much or more potential than Roman Reigns.  That's just like my opinion man.  

Okay, it was rude of me to say "obtuse", my apologies. "Not that good in the ring". Okay, he's not Jushin Liger, but he's not supposed to be, either. In the Shield, you have Rollins for da MOVEZ. In singles matches he's perfectly fine as a power wrestler. Actually, he's better than that, as the guy is pretty limber and can pull out moves that you would expect from someone 50 lbs. lighter. As for promos, he's a nice throwback to the 1980s. He gets his points across, and makes you believe that he's going to destroy whoever he's matched against. No, he's not Bray Wyatt, but Bray is already in that rarefied strata with guys like Jake, Cornette, Heenan, and Flair. I'm not advocating giving him the strap today, but look how far the guy has come in just four years, he's way ahead of where the Rock was at four years in the business. Give the dude a catchphrase that the sheep can chant and he'll be the next big thing. The neat deal is that barring serious injury, he could be THE MAN for the next decade or more. Think about it, in ten years he'll only be 38 and we live in an era where power wrestlers are easily able to go until their fifties without losing much.

I agree on many points, and can admit that it may have been unfair to compare him to Virgil.  I think Reigns can be a star, but I don't see him as can't miss just yet.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the key things are: The dude is only 28 and has been in the biz for four years! I can't think of anyone that came that far that fast unless it be Dustin Rhodes who was pretty decent when he debuted.

Roman Reigns is the truth. That dropkick spot on the floor is so great. He's more than just a power wrestler. He's like Anthony Davis in the NBA -- a big dude who is just hyper athletic, is already awesome, but still needs some refining. It also doesn't hurt that girls love the dude.

And, yes, Bray Wyatt is already in the upper stratum of mic workers.

Bray and Roman are running this game until 2025.

• Like 3

Just jumping in to mirror the Roman Reigns love-fest. Like OSJ, I'm old and I saw all of the big names of the 90's come up and the top guys on the 80's in their respective heydays. Roman Reigns has IT and the only way he isn't THE GUY at some point is because of injury, booking, or death. Athletic, great look, menacing on the stick, cross gender appeal (girls want him, dudes want to be him), the entire package. Imagine what he and Cesaro could do against each other in another two years. I've looked at Ambrose, Reigns, and Rollins as the WWE 2010's version of Mutoh, Chono, and Hashimoto in NJPW in the 90's. Three guys with GREAT potential who could lead the company through some money years.

• Like 1

Samoan. Big man. From a wrestling family. Played defensive line for a major college in the southern u.s. Dropping with charisma, becoming the breakout star of a faction. He remind me of someone, but I can't quite place it.

Samoan. Big man. From a wrestling family. Played defensive line for a major college in the southern u.s. Dropping with charisma, becoming the breakout star of a faction. He remind me of someone, but I can't quite place it.

Someone whose nickname rhymes with "Brock"?

Besides the one with Punk, has Reigns had a singles match that hasn't stunk?

Yes, many. Too many to list.

Really? I think Reigns is very good and will one day be great. Outside of the Punk match I can't think of one singles match he has had that I'd call good. List a few for us.

I don't understand this 'Roman hasn't had a massive singles career so he eats ass' logic. 

The dude is awesome. The progress he's made traveling with Rollins and Ambrose has been bad ass to watch. Is he ready for his huge singles push? No. That's why the Shield is still together. But watching this charismatic bad ass grow and digivolve from green as hell into Babygurl Rock-Meng is part of why it's so much fun to love the dude. We're ground floor on the next big thing.  

• Like 3

I don't understand this 'Roman hasn't had a massive singles career so he eats ass' logic. 

The dude is awesome. The progress he's made traveling with Rollins and Ambrose has been bad ass to watch. Is he ready for his huge singles push? No. That's why the Shield is still together. But watching this charismatic bad ass grow and digivolve from green as hell into Babygurl Rock-Meng is part of why it's so much fun to love the dude. We're ground floor on the next big thing.  

So, he's like a Samoan Rick Rude, while Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins are his Manny Fernandez?

Is there any room for some position between "Roman is the next Rock" and "Roman is ass" in this discussion?

Yeah really. I think he's great at what he's currently doing. I think in time he'll be a consistently good singles performer. I just find OSJ's claim that he's had "too many good singles matches to list" to be absurd. The guy has had what, maybe a dozen singles matches on tv since being called up?

• Like 1

Is there any room for some position between "Roman is the next Rock" and "Roman is ass" in this discussion?

Yeah really. I think he's great at what he's currently doing. I think in time he'll be a consistently good singles performer. I just find OSJ's claim that he's had "too many good singles matches to list" to be absurd. The guy has had what, maybe a dozen singles matches on tv since being called up?

He didn't exactly suck in FCW/NXT if you were watching.