DVDVR Message Board

They found a bunch of bodies in his place, so I would assume that would increase this insanity. Also had some creepy manifesto.

Fuck you Elliot Rodger for deciding that the best way to handle rejection by women was to murder seven women. Men like you make women like me SCARED, because you seem so normal.

If you need me, I'll be in my hole...

He's the type of person that usually makes me go into manifesto mode, but he isn't worth it.  If a rich kid with Hollywood connections driving a BMW and attending On the Beach University couldn't pull women, it's on him.  Because he gave off Patrick Bateman/Norman Bates vibes.  The asshole had Napoleon/little penis hangups and decides to take others down with him.  I'd say fuck him, but he would want that.  Damn sicko.

Aha: The three victims, all of whom were male, found in the apartment were stabbed to death. Their deaths were included in the previously-reported death toll of 7.

Fuck you to the asshole who launched the plastic bottle of ketchup out of the white car flying down Tropicana Ave. in Vegas this afternoon and nearly broke my arm. I don't believe in karma, but I do believe that a punk bitch who does shit like that has done it before, will do it again, and will eventually find their ass sitting in a cell where they belong. Fuck you, again.

Fuck you Elliot Rodger for deciding that the best way to handle rejection by women was to murder seven women. Men like you make women like me SCARED, because you seem so normal.

If you need me, I'll be in my hole...

Part of me want to empathize with him (especially given my many tales of complaining about women and doing crappy on dates), but seriously fuck Elliot Rodger.

He just needed to do him and not worry about impressing other people. Find your own happiness and what makes you a productive, healthy, happy person. It's obvious he could write very well -- write for a blog, write fiction, write anything. Find an outlet. The dude was rich -- he could have just asked his parents for money for a house in another state. He could have developed a hobby or found a group of people that 'got' him and hung out with them.

I understand where he would come from (seriously, fuck stuck-up snobbish rich people), but....he needed to use his damn brain. He's one of them too. Chill out. If he doesn't like them, go somewhere else and don't worry about them. A lot of his problems were on him and not on them.

I thought all that #YesAllWomen stuff was pretty interesting.  Most of it is good for guys to read and remind yourself of all the stuff you don't have to deal with simply because you're a dude. 

However, I must say to all you guys out there using this as an opportunity to publicly state how offended you are, how much you support women, etc, please dial it back a bit.  If you're a good person, not a creep, and actually have values, the women in your life will notice.  Don't make this about you.

• Like 1

Rodger's manifesto is one of the most creepy, and darkly comic, things I think I've ever read. Guy is narcissistic beyond belief.

-He bitches at his mother for refusing to marry a multi-millionaire to secure his future (the family have money, but clearly not as much  as Elliot would like). She says being married again after all she went through with his dad would make her unhappy. He tells her, with a straight face, she should sacrifice her well-being for his happiness.

-He became obsessed with moving to Isla Vista and attending UC Santa Barbara after seeing the movie “Alpha Dog,” which took place in that town and featured “good looking young people enjoying pleasurable sex lives.” He thought that if he moved there he too could live “a life of pleasure and sex.”

-His mother buys him an Armani shirt and Gucci sunglasses. He thinks this will turn things around. First time he wears them at college, he waits till the lecture hall is almost full so he can walk in and stun them all. So, he struts in with his designer gear, and no one notices. He's furious.

-He’s angry that his mother pestered him to get a job because he’s an “intellectual destined for greatness.”

-He listens in on his little sister having sex, furious that she lost her virginity before he did.

-Here's the interesting thing: he wasn't hitting on loads of women and getting turned down. Heck, he didn't even talk to women or approach them. It was like he figured he should just be walking down the street and blonde models would be throwing themselves at him.

-One time Elliot freaked out because his flatmate brought home a girl. Elliot was then relieved to find she wasn't that attractive. Later he told the flatmate that he was "foolish to be proud to have such an ugly whore in his room" Elliot is shocked when the flatmate stops talking to him.

-Elliot decides all women are evil and should be sent to concentration camps to starve, with some women left over for breeding.

This guy may legitimately be one of the worst people that ever lived.

Every line of it will make your skin crawl.

I've heard people say "Well, if only some girl had dated him this wouldn't have happened." No. You know what would have happened if a girl had given him a chance? He'd have stalked and murdered her the second things went sour. Not getting laid wasn't his issue, being a psychopath was.

• Like 2

Also an issue: the fucking shitty terrible way kids get educated and gendered, where boys get taught that love is sex and sex is success, and girls are taught all the severely fucking backwards & destructive things they're taught. This person's perceptive tools were busted, but they were busted within tragically familiar social norms. Making this a mental health or singular outlier is convenient, and anything convenient cannot be an answer. The way we teach (our schools and our communities) is failing us, literally catastrophically.

So Fuck All Of That, I guess.

• Like 4

At some point, you would imagine that America would have to ask itself why these kinds of mass murder happen far, far more frequently in that country than anywhere else in the world.

I'd say there's 2 specific reasons why: First, Americans love violence. Many chalk this up to the days of manifest destiny, the rugged, gung-ho frontiersmen days of fighting injuns and the Alamo and yeehaaaw~~! which has survived up until the present day. IMO the affection we have for violence is on account of the American public conscious (unlike the rest of the West) hasn't, for all intents of purposes, been the victim of massive death and warfare since 1812. You could say that Pearl Harbor or 9/11 counts, but really, they're completely different experiences than, say, the London Blitzkrieg or watching a whole Panzer division march into Warsaw or trenchwarfare across Alsaac-Lorraine. In short, we've never been the VICTIMS, so violence is glorified because it seems both A) so distant, and B) justified more often than it isn't.

Second reason is simply the gun culture and ease of access to firearms. Of course you have mass murderers in other countries, but in China or UK, for example, knife violence far surpasses there far surpasses knife violence in the US. The difference being is that the body count and ability to stop a murderer with a knife is infinitely easier than stopping one with a firearm. Psychos exist in every society, the dichotomy is the means of executing their thoughts.

If you're a good person, not a creep, and actually have values, the women in your life will notice. 

Horseshit and nonsense.  There's a million reasons why guys (OR girls, or trans, or hermaphrodites, or whatever) might be good people but still utterly fail to attract a romantic partner.  Happens all the frigging time, every day, everywhere.  

^ No.

Why?  Everything BL88 said makes sense.  Don't just dismiss it with one word and not explain your dissent.  

I'd say there's 2 specific reasons why: First, Americans love violence. 

Second reason is simply the gun culture and ease of access to firearms. 

Still not nearly enough to explain the phenomenon.  Lots of other countries both have a love for violence and easy access to guns.  Russia, for one example; plenty of Middle Eastern and African and South American nations, for several others.  Even there, you STILL don't see the very specific kind of serial murders and spree killings that only America seems to get on a regular basis.  

Your "we've never really been the victims on a MASS scale" point may be a good one, but that still doesn't go nearly all the way in making sense of the whole thing.  There's got to be more.  And I think BL88's point about how INCREDIBLY fucked up our gender-values system is, is probably part of that More.  

EDIT: Also, this cocksucker WAS getting mental health treatment.  He was being seen by multiple therapists.  Which pretty much explodes that old "if only they'd seen a shrink..." myth about preventing these sorts of murders.  

It is kinda weird that he could never hook up with anyone, no matter how much of a megalomaniacal misogynist douchebag he was.  Those types of arrogant jerkoffs DO seem to frequently attract women, in my anecdotal experience (albeit the people they attract tend to be just as shallow and unpleasant as they are).  I dunno if it's their unholy amount of self-confidence or what, but the Patrick Batemans of the world are usually not lacking in companionship.   

RE: Russia, that's because there's plenty of pockets of insurgency and whatnot across the continents for would-be murderers to channel their violent tendencies. Psycopathy isn't a condition solely imputed onto Americans, but the way its carried out is. I'm all for "blame America first," but these are asinine points.

Go ask a school girl in Nigeria or a mother in Saudi Arabia or an only female child in China how "messed up" they think our "gender-values system" is.

What BL88 said.  Saying "gee, this one guy is terrible, I hate that guy" doesn't mean that a response of "WELL GO BE FRIENDS WITH HITLER THEN, IF YOU HATE THAT GUY SO MUCH" makes any damn sense.  

RE: Russia, that's because there's plenty of pockets of insurgency and whatnot across the continents for would-be murderers to channel their violent tendencies. Psycopathy isn't a condition solely imputed onto Americans, but the way its carried out is. I'm all for "blame America first," but these are asinine points.

Once again: 

1. Don't just say "asinine!" and run off, EXPLAIN your points.  

2. It's not like we don't have PLENTY of "legitimate" outlets for American psychopaths to channel their violent tendencies.  Law enforcement, the military, various shady mercenary and private security outfits, non-serial-killing criminal activities, combat sports, bar/street fights, hunting, losing yourself in the fantasy of proxy violence in the entertainment media... the list goes on and on.