DVDVR Message Board

You don't vent for advice, you are just trying to release the bile that is eating at you. Doing it on a message board is safer than going off on various family members who may or may not have it coming. 

Time spent posting on this board is less time I have to work on my manifesto.

• Like 2

Wrestling message board, guys.

Am I missing something? Are we not supposed to vent here/support our wrestling nerd friends when they vent here?

Mistake #1: Thinking Antacular sees anyone as a friend around here.

Is this your way of saying I'm NOT in the running for cuddliest member 2015?

The sheer number of people on here who have been on meds and struggled with and without them astonishes me. It just doesn't seem to be anywhere near as common in Europe. Not a judgement or anything like that, just an observation.

Seems like an easy enough statistic to look up, if you're really curious and not looking to use anecdotal evidence to illustrate a potentially spurious point.

The good ol' US is one of two countries on EARTH that still allows for pharmaceutical advertisements, so everything gets overprescribed.

That being said, there's a lot of people out there that can't afford drugs they actually NEED in the US too.

Without them, I would not be functional, trust me on that one. And I got overcharged like a bitch for several years because it wasn't generic yet. (they're depression meds, but its for anxiety stuff mostly)

• Like 1

I have heard (but have in no way researched) that countries with socialized (i.e. not for profit) healthcare prescribe out a lot less meds in general (not just psychiatric). Makes sense to me, but like I said, I haven't looked into it in any detail.

That's because with socialized medicine, a lot of it is preventive care, whereas in the U.S. a good amount of people will wait until their condition persists into an ER visit before they take any action, thus requiring more treatment. I worked at a low-come area hospital throughout college, it's a very prevalent practice.

I have no idea where to start "are anti depression meds prescribed so that people become dependent on them so that pharmaceutical companies can make a shit ton off their continued treatment" seems like too much for Google to handle.

Start by looking up the anti-psychiatry movement.

Yeah I'm not trying to suggest people don't need this stuff, just that quacks are very happy to get it out there. It isnt like that in the UK.

That could be part of it, but I also think that antidepressants (probably) are over-prescribed because depression is difficult to understand and treat, but doctors want to help anyway (understandably), and patients expect doctors to be able to do something to help (also understandably). So most doctors are quick to throw antidepressants at people, because it's the best/easiest tool they have, even if it's very uncertain if the drugs will work for a given patient.

Which is just to say that many of the doctors who over-prescribe them probably aren't quacks. They just want and/or are expected to help, and they don't have many other options at their disposal.

As for international comparisons, check out this, in particular chart 4:

http://www.keepeek.com/Digital-Asset-Management/oecd/social-issues-migration-health/health-at-a-glance-2013/pharmaceutical-consumption_health_glance-2013-41-en#page1

From the looks of it, the UK doesn't have the highest antidepressant use, but it is above average for wealthy countries. The chart unfortunately, doesn't include US numbers, but you could probably find those somewhere pretty easily.