DVDVR Message Board

They just completely fucking outdid themselves. Starting at 5 PM Central tonight: 

CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD/THE GATES OF HELL

Outland

Logan's Run

THE CRAZIES

I wonder if Robert lurks here? He sure is hitting all the right notes to start off the new year for my ass. I cannot believe a Lucio Fulci movie is playing at 5 PM on a cable network. Ever.

EDIT: Oh and get this: Gates is rated TV-14. Yes, the movie where a woman vomits actual sheep intestines out of her mouth. 

• Like 1

Today's movie line up was fucking insane.  I had to come to work at 6PM to cover down for a test event, so I am taping The Crazies and Logan's Run.

Jenny Agutter.  Bringer of the funny feeling.

Logans-Run-photo-4.jpg

The programming for this wonderful channel just gets better and better, but the On Demand queue needs work.  All of the organic programming is there, but the only movie available is Godzilla vs. Biollante. There needs to be more Grindhouse Presents features and Shaw Brothers movies available on demand.

• Like 3

I just caught some of Logan's Run and it started saying that El Rey does edit for content prior to 9 PM. Now I'm pissed that I didn't watch all of City of the Living Dead to see if they cut out the intestinal vomiting. Logan's Run, obviously, has blurred nudity.

Logan's Run was just the cheesy-as-hell sci-fi I was hoping it would be.  I loved every single minute of it.  And JT's right, Jenny Agutter is quite the looker.  Turned out she was in a crap ton of movies, including the Captain America movie.  How about that.  And too bad about it being edited before 9, but it was bound to happen.  Still, once 9 hits with the right show/movie, fuck yeah.

I wish I paid more attention to the Miami Vice marathon.  But at least they'll show episodes on here so I'll have plenty chances to check i out.  What I did see, to say it is iconic and influential is a huge understatement.  If I was old enough in the 80s this would have been my obsession.  As it is, it's just so cool to watch.

So you know how Reddit's Squared Circle section sent fruit to HHH?  Surely something awesome can be sent to Robert Rodriguez, right?  Least we can do.

I had no idea that El Rey had different rules after 9pm.  I was pretty shocked to see bewbz during Fright Night.

Re Miami Vice: A few years ago, I binge watched it on Netflix.  It's an underrated, awesome show.  The widely-accepted misconception about this show is that it was just pastel-colored 80's cheese, but that's just not the case.  While it had a slick veneer, it was still Michael Mann through and through:  a pretty dark, serious drama the frequently featured downbeat endings.  The only knocks I have is that the last season or two had more bad episodes and that they maybe relied too much on the "Crockett or Tubbs falls for the wrong girl and has a tragic love story" plot during the run of the series.  It's easy to milk pathos from that one and they went to the well too many times.  Shit, even one of the female supporting character cops gets an episode where she falls for an IRA gun runner (Liam Neesons), so they definitely spread that plot point thin.  Still, you should check it out.  The problem with El Rey is that they're not airing the episodes in order.

Well the Pei Mei double feature of Executioners from Shaolin and Clan of the White Lotus is your Kung Fu double feature tonight.

There is a Dark Angel marathon that will preempt Grindhouse Presents tomorrow night and will last through to Sunday, but your triple feature of awesomeness starting at 1PM EST on Friday will be Vengeance Is A Golden Blade, RED SONJA~!, and mother fucking Outland.

I have to catch Red Sonja tomorrow. Good memories of that piece of trash as a kid. And in that same vein, I believe sometime next week they're playing THE BEASTMASTER!!!

Executioners from Shaolin is so good, Robert deserves his fucking fruit basket with a bottle of good scotch just for airing it.

• Like 1

I remember when it first aired I made it a point to watch that, what a great movie.  It is impossible to not like Pai Mei.  Still need to watch White Lotus on DVR.  And going by JT's reaction, Red Sonja appears to be a must-watch.

Well the Pei Mei double feature of Executioners from Shaolin and Clan of the White Lotus is your Kung Fu double feature tonight.

There is a Dark Angel marathon that will preempt Grindhouse Presents tomorrow night and will last through to Sunday, but your triple feature of awesomeness starting at 1PM EST on Friday will be Vengeance Is A Golden Blade, RED SONJA~!, and mother fucking Outland.

I tried to talk my wife into Executioners from Shaolin while we were in the hospital with the little one.  Sadly, she didn't go for it.

And I would watch Outland every time it came on, even if they showed it daily.  My dentist has little TVs set up to watch while you're getting your teeth worked on. Outland had just started last time I was there.  Best dentist appointment ever.

• Like 1

After thinking about it, does being edited before 9 really hurt any of the movies shown?  I don't believe so.  The change was definitely recent, not sure why though.  IFC shows pretty much everything unedited all day so not sure why El Rey went this route.  But even in edited form, I still enjoy them all the same.

They really need to focus on getting to to more TV providers.  It seems a lot of people don't have it, and the ones that do don't even know it exists.  Get it out there and advertise the channel on other stations.  As it is I feel people find this via word of mouth or online recommendations only.

I remember when it first aired I made it a point to watch that, what a great movie.  It is impossible to not like Pai Mei.  Still need to watch White Lotus on DVR.  And going by JT's reaction, Red Sonja appears to be a must-watch.

Red Sonja is so schlocky that it is great.  The acting jobs are totally horrible but it is all about the sword fighting and people getting their heads lopped off.

I had no idea that El Rey had different rules after 9pm.  I was pretty shocked to see bewbz during Fright Night.

Re Miami Vice: A few years ago, I binge watched it on Netflix.  It's an underrated, awesome show.  The widely-accepted misconception about this show is that it was just pastel-colored 80's cheese, but that's just not the case.  While it had a slick veneer, it was still Michael Mann through and through:  a pretty dark, serious drama the frequently featured downbeat endings.  The only knocks I have is that the last season or two had more bad episodes and that they maybe relied too much on the "Crockett or Tubbs falls for the wrong girl and has a tragic love story" plot during the run of the series.  It's easy to milk pathos from that one and they went to the well too many times.  Shit, even one of the female supporting character cops gets an episode where she falls for an IRA gun runner (Liam Neesons), so they definitely spread that plot point thin.  Still, you should check it out.  The problem with El Rey is that they're not airing the episodes in order.

I got hooked on Miami Vice when the DVDs hit and fell in love with everything about it. I've watched it every now and then since that time and it's held up well on re-watches. El Rey really should show it in order though - while it's not the most episodic show ever, there are plot lines you can't follow easily without them airing in order.

The Beastmaster is on today at 5:45 Central, after The Deadly Duo and The Outfit. So a kung-fu film, a mob flick with Robert Duvall, Karen Black, and Joe Don Baker, and Beastmaster. In a row. This is the Wrestle And Romance of television networks.

EDIT: Flying Guillotine and Flying Guillotine 2 playing on Thursday, Fright Night again on Friday... after the mashup of The Battle Wizard, Men from the Monastery, The Outfit, and Red Sonja. And right after Fright Night (which is also playing all day tomorrow)? MANIAC. I need say no more.