DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: THE FINALS~! BRYAN vs. CESARO

DANIEL BRYAN vs. CESARO  

169 members have voted

1. 1. WHOSE CUISINE REIGNS SUPREME?

Bryan's also more formulaic because except for in tags, he essentially played the same role all year as the underdog who makes fiery babyface comebacks. In his tag matches, he actually was a great FIP AND a great hot tag at times. 

Cesaro has done more because he was forced into different roles, particularly when he switched between wrestling NXT as an ace and wrestling on other WWE shows as anything but that. 

The idea that Cesaro is getting special points because of circumstance is comical. I get the arguments for Bryan, but that's a bad one.

Also worth noting that Cesaro got a ton of ring time, probably close to if not as much or more than Bryan.

So what we're saying here is Daniel Bryan should win, right?

We're saying that you're the Mike Ademle of March Madness Commissioners

Look buddy. If I ban Waiter, I have to ban every doofus that continues to respond to him like he's serious, because they're equally disruptive. And that list is so long this place would be a ghost town.

And thats bad, why?

• Like 1

The idea that Cesaro is getting special points because of circumstance is comical. I get the arguments for Bryan, but that's a bad one.

You posted that right after a post that gave Cesaro special points because of circumstance. Case: Rested.

Bryan should NOT be mauling guys left and right. He is not Stone Cold. He defies the Authority by overcoming the odds set before him and never giving up.

Has anyone making the "Bryan is formulaic in big matches while Cesaro isn't" argument considered that might be because Cesaro has only had about 5 "big" matches all year? Of course we are more used to Bryan's formula he's been main eventing most of the year.

He doesn't have to beat seven guys down, but he at least needed to spend some of that time when he was just getting a beating every week fighting back. He doesn't have to be Stone Cold, but he could at least be DDP and smarten up, and so far, he hasn't really beat the odds other than pinning Cena clean.

You posted that right after a post that gave Cesaro special points because of circumstance. Case: Rested.

They aren't "special points because of circumstance." They're points earned because Cesaro filled multiple roles well, just like I would take those "special points" away if Cesaro sucked in those roles. 

Your argument doesn't work because we have spent this whole tournament comparing guys who work primarily in tags to guys who don't, guys who work totally different styles to one another, etc. Not everything is going to be even stevens. 

All in on Cesaro for me: I don't like to go general speak, but to me, his best matches are better then Bryans, both in terms of quality and sheer volume. his matches with Sami, Regal, Cena, and Orton were all just fucking great by any standard, and he got a lot more out of guys nobody expects anyone to get anything worthwhile out of. Put him in against Khali? Well, the match might not be hot, but something fucking cool is going to happen in the finish that will make it more memorable then almost any Khali match ever. Put him against Kofi? No worries, Cesaro is the best opponent for high flyers in the world by miles, he'll turn it into something really damn cool. Put him against Miz? Sure, he'll get something worth while out of him just because he's awesome.

• Like 1

Fuck if I know who should win...

I mean, Bryan had one of the most captivating years in wrestling history, though his Tajiri Tribute Kick spot kind of annoys me. I also really hate him using a top rope 'rana as one of his babyface comeback spots. Also, it is funny that despite the complaints about his push, Bryan, who is a smaller dude, is consistently booked as an ass-kicker.

One thing I will say is that some of Bryan's best moments were less about him making a moment and more a segment that was designed to get that response. The Wyatt cage moment was so awesome, but it was clearly designed to be. Does that make sense? Bryan's been on the Main Event Hero's Quest and, what we think was the planned booking aside, it's all kind of logically brought us from Point A to Point B.

Cesaro powering up and taking Orton's head off with that uppercut and then hitting his finish elicited a much more visceral response from me because it just came out of nowhere. Him being a key cog in what was inherently a dead-end gimmick with a failed Jack Swagger and, while a great talker, a character that should have had a limited shelf life, and having arenas chanting "We The People" and basically turning them into an over (de-facto) babyface act is harder than anything Bryan did this year.

Also, in the last few years, Bryan has wrestled Rollins 106 times, Roman 88 times, and Dean 78 times (Sheamus is 4th). This is from wrestlingdata btw, so no clue as to how accurate there are.

Cesaro's most common career opponents have Ryder, Rhodes, Miz and Kingston at 3, 4 and 5.

Not that Bryan isn't awesome, but Cesaro did more with less this year and Bryan was always positioned as top television babyface. In fact, I'm dead certain that if you analyzed who got more TV time in the last year that Bryan has to blow away Cena, especially since Cena rarely does SD and didn't work long matches every week. Bryan had the full force of the company behind him and became a top star. Cesaro had to uppercut dudes one at a time to do it.

I think I'm going Cesaro.

Now this is what I want you to do. I want you to stand up, put your hand over your hearts, and say in a very loud clear voice along with me: WE the PEOPLE!

• Like 2

Antonio Cesaro has had a fantastic year. I got to see him make Ryback interesting for 15 minutes in Atlanta on Raw last year, and I really dig his work. Daniel Bryan, however, has been the beating heart of WWE programming for most of the last year, even as management attempted to shove him violently from the spotlight. His matches are formulaic, but who in WWE can you not say that about? It's what they want for their format, because God forbid the commercial breaks don't go in the right place. Daniel Bryan makes my wife sit up and take notice. She makes the 11 yr. old black kid who lives 3 doors over from us take notice. He connects with the audience on a level that no one's been able to tap for a decade. That's why I'm voting for him.

• Like 3

Antonio Cesaro has had a fantastic year. I got to see him make Ryback interesting for 15 minutes in Atlanta on Raw last year, and I really dig his work. Daniel Bryan, however, has been the beating heart of WWE programming for most of the last year, even as management attempted to shove him violently from the spotlight. His matches are formulaic, but who in WWE can you not say that about? It's what they want for their format, because God forbid the commercial breaks don't go in the right place. Daniel Bryan makes my wife sit up and take notice. She makes the 11 yr. old black kid who lives 3 doors over from us take notice. He connects with the audience on a level that no one's been able to tap for a decade. That's why I'm voting for him.

Out of likes, but I would like this twice if I could.  One for the content and one for the typo.

• Like 2

Anyway, I'm voting Cesaro. I love Bryan and he's my personal favorite wrestler, but I cannot say that he was better than Cesaro this year. Cesaro churned out good work against everyone from Kofi to Zayn to Cena, sometimes doing great epic-style matches and sometimes doing wonderful competitive or semi-competitive midcard stuff. He can be the ace, he can challenge the ace, he can play cocky or be a Mark Henry style Godzilla monster swatting people away and tossing them around the ring. I just think his year was amazing. 

The only argument I can accept for Bryan is that Bryan was clearly better in tags (at least to me). He had more good tags than Cesaro and played both FIP and hot tag excellently in them at different times, but I don't think Bryan's tag work overcomes Cesaro's work in singles. 

Out of likes, but I would like this twice if I could.  One for the content and one for the typo.

That's fantastic. My wife's pretty lady, but this is about D-Bry...

It was really hard for me to do, but I voted Bryan. It's fitting that the last match in the tournament be the one that I had the most trouble voting for. The results so far are very exciting, and I will be happy with the result no matter what. I just watched the Regal/Cesaro match again and it's amazing. I still have Bryan's summer gauntlet against the Real Americans and Ryback as my WWE match of the year, but that was largely due to Cesaro as well. Just a really tough vote, but I had to go with Bryan.

For the record, the only person in the world who I thought had a better year than Bryan was Negro Casas. They were my 1-2 on my WKO ballot. And #3 was Cesaro. So there you go.

I have to believe people voting for Cesaro are just people tired of Bryan winning, which is sad, because it really just means they have no faith in Cesaro and are poor fans.

I have to believe people voting for Cesaro are just people tired of Bryan winning, which is sad, because it really just means they have no faith in Cesaro and are poor fans.

No, I'm voting for teh wrestler I felt like was the best, and had more great matches.

The people here who seem to have it in there head that the only reason people would vote for Cesaro due to not liking Bryan really just look like fools. If you can't comprehend why this is an actual debate, then you should go back and watch more matches.

suck it you guys for picking the guy you like best in this thing you are bad at liking it

• Like 1

I have to believe that people voting for Bryan are sheeple who follow the current trends.  They are probably Miami Heat fans, Boston Red Sox fans and whoever wins a lot in futbol fans.

I have to also believe that people voting for Bryan hate Yosemite Sam and by proxy hate Zeb and by proxy hate Cesaro.  They also... HATE AMERICAH.

I have to also, also believe in aliens.

I also, also, also, also have to believe voting for Bryan will allow the demon lord Korne to rise from the darkest pit and take his place at the Skull Throne.

Blood for the blood god, y'all.

Can someone translate that bullshit for me? Is he describing a Dio album cover?

Jae, does 'you guys are bad fans' pull off a BINGO for you?

I gave my reasons in my post. They have nothing to do with being "tired of Bryan winning" and everything to do with me enjoying Cesaro more this year. 

What I find more interesting is that only 56 people have voted so far.

So either a whole lot of you are doing the I DON'T WANT TO DECIDE SO I WON'T VOTE!!!! or folks are trying to wait till the last minute to swing the vote 

• Like 1