DVDVR Message Board

So who's been to New Orleans before?

Stuttsy

Heading in for WrestleMania weekend Thursday through Sunday. I'm not really much of a drinker but I mean I'm gonna go down Bourbon Street at least once to say I did it. What should I expect? What should I be on the look out for, both good and bad? I am more likely to stop in someplace for great bar food than a drink but I am definitely open to checking places out. What are some establishments worth checking out or worth avoiding?

Keep your wallet in your front pocket. It helps keep the pick pockets off the drunk tourist. You'll spend too much on drinks but you'll see tons of naked women, hear tonsof amazing music, and, if you're smart, eat like a king. New Orleans is one of my favorite places on the planet.

I was down there last summer (business trip - not my choice to go that far south in the summer) and thought Redfish had really great food, though it might be just a touch fancier than what you're looking for.  They had this drink that had peach jam in it and was served in a jam jar...  and I closed out the meal with bread pudding.  Food coma.

Keep your wallet in your front pocket. It helps keep the pick pockets off the drunk tourist. You'll spend too much on drinks but you'll see tons of naked women, hear tonsof amazing music, and, if you're smart, eat like a king. New Orleans is one of my favorite places on the planet.

I like this. Any specific recommendations for naked women and food? lol

Public transport is actually pretty decent. Also, pace yourself. It's really easy to say "hey lets have one beer here" but only at "the cool looking places."

All of the French Quarter looks cool and one beer at each cool place will fucking kill you before you go two blocks.

ENJOY!

The last time I was on Bourbon, I didn't see any drawers on the purdy ladies.

Also, I would disagree with the "walking should be fine." Two miles through NON tourist New Orleans to get back to the Quarter on a weekend with extra folks in town carry extra money...

...follow the buzzards. (see what I did there.)

The reason New Orleans has such a high crime rate and was the murder capitol of the country for awhile was partially due to drunk tourists wandering out of the quarter.

New Orleans ain't Anaheim. Take a cab. Don't be dumb.

Well, obviously, you don't want to be wandering down dark alleys, but we're talking about Poydras, Canal, and Loyola here, that area of town. Main tourist thoroughfares. These are safe places in general, and will be heavily trafficked and well policed on this particular weekend. There is no reason to fear for your safety.

Generally speaking, it kills me that people act like they're taking a trip to a demilitarized zone when they go to NO. I dunno, maybe that's part of the allure - people getting off on partying in a place where they're in danger from Scary Black Folk. But the truth is, if you stick to the main drags downtown, you're not going to find trouble unless you're looking for it.

Really, you're good to go off the beaten path a little bit, which is where a lot of the more interesting stuff is, but if it's your first time in the area, I wouldn't recommend breaking away from the pack without someone who can be your guide.

• Like 1

Really, you're good to go off the beaten path a little bit, which is where a lot of the more interesting stuff is, but if it's your first time in the area, I wouldn't recommend breaking away from the pack without someone who can be your guide.

Agreed. You said it better than I did. No one should be anymore afraid of NOLA than any other big area. Just be aware. The bigger problem is dumb drunk people going to places they wouldn't go sober.