DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: FINAL FOUR: GOLDUST vs. DANIEL BRYAN

GOLDUST vs. DANIEL BRYAN  

141 members have voted

1. 1. CAN DANIEL BRYAN BE STOPPED?!?!

Does Dustin really have a better career of work? He had the WCW stuff against Rude, then Austin & the Stud Stable. His first Goldust run had some good stuff, but then he was the shits for at least a decade.

This isn't some sort of math equation. There's not a .23 Handicap for tag work. 

You have different opportunities and drawbacks in each. You can look at what the wrestler does. It's not easier or harder to have a good tag match. It's just different, but if you break down what a wrestler does in a given situation and how he does it, you can still learn, I think, just as much from either. It's all selling and hitting offense. It's all timing and crowd involvement. It's all shine and heat and comeback. 

No, it's easier. You're only doing half the work in a tag match.

There are different challenges. If it was easier, it'd only be because you could maybe fall into a structure a little easier. Goldust works the apron. He's done a better job of getting people into WWE matches than anyone this year. With a lot of Bryan matches, the crowd is dead save for when he's doing the kicks or during the the finishing sequence. In front of the same crowds, Goldust is generally the only guy that can get them to really buy into what's going on.

Exhibit A for my argument: Kane. How is it that that he was consistently having good-to-great matches after being paired with Daniel Bryan when he's been worthless in basically every singles match he's ever had? Was it a reflection of some previously undiscovered talent for tag wrestling? Or was it a reflection of the fact that he didn't have to do as much and thus had less opportunity to drag the matches down?

Also, "working the apron" is the most overrated skill in the history of wrestling.

Tough vote here.. but I have to go with Goldust because.. let's put it this way. No one expected that Goldust in 2013 would come back and have some absolutely jaw dropping, stunning,  great matches.

To paraphrase above: Bryan's hit for average (let's compare it to say.. a .350 average)  for most of the year, but Goldust has had a half year of "Do not look directly at Goldust or you will go blind from the light/heat" hot streak. (I'd say a .450/.500 average with power and steals)

And while it shouldn't, I think to myself.. this time next year Goldust will have said "That's enough, I'm done", while Daniel Bryan will once again be here.

My next goal in life - after getting people to stop fucking using "pipe bomb" - is going to be to get people to stop fucking using "hivemind"

Point taken, unlike the guy with the horse jokes I will bow to the authority.

UNLIKE my boy DBry who has been battling the authority for the better part of a year. Where was Goldust for most of that time? Stinking up the indy circuit and then glomming on to his brother's storyline in order to leach heat.

Don't be a spineless coward like me or a washed up heat sucker like Goldust. Vote for DBry, hero, savior, beard enthusiast.

With a lot of Bryan matches, the crowd is dead save for when he's doing the kicks or during the the finishing sequence. In front of the same crowds, Goldust is generally the only guy that can get them to really buy into what's going on.

Where was Goldust for most of that time? Stinking up the indy circuit and then glomming on to his brother's storyline in order to leach heat.

Don't be a spineless coward like me or a washed up heat sucker like Goldust. Vote for DBry, hero, savior, beard enthusiast.

In which indy matches did Goldust stink up the indy circuit?  I want proof.

Also, facepaint enthusiast > beard enthusiast.

That said, I think the two state near equal, but the Cena match and the whole year thing tip it to Bryan.

I'm revoking your #1 Natural Fan Club star. Let me go google some more crappy 70s beatles covers from Bing Crosby to send to you, you turncoat bastard. 

EDIT: Holy crap, the Bill Cosby Sgt. Pepper's cover is terrible. 

• Like 1

Where was Goldust for most of that time? Stinking up the indy circuit and then glomming on to his brother's storyline in order to leach heat.

In which indy matches did Goldust stink up the indy circuit?  I want proof.

Also, facepaint enthusiast > beard enthusiast.

Honest to God...I'm swinging wild here. Goldust is pretty amazing and I'd vote for him over just about everyone....just not over Bryan (or Cesaro, Rollins, Cena or Harper).

As to beard vs facepaint...what about both? Road warriors showed us that facial hair and facepaint can work.

Exhibit A for my argument: Kane. How is it that that he was consistently having good-to-great matches after being paired with Daniel Bryan when he's been worthless in basically every singles match he's ever had? Was it a reflection of some previously undiscovered talent for tag wrestling? Or was it a reflection of the fact that he didn't have to do as much and thus had less opportunity to drag the matches down?

Also, "working the apron" is the most overrated skill in the history of wrestling.

In which ways would you say Kane was comparable to Dustin as a tag worker other than "they had good matches?"

Point taken, unlike the guy with the horse jokes I will bow to the authority.

I guess I'd rather be the horse jokes guy than the guy who walked out of Spider-Man?

I'll bet Brie make Bryan... I got nothin

Good tag teams require good timing together. Kane and Bryan had stuff they did together that utilized both strengths. Sometimes they'd even role reversal with Bryan being the monster to save Kane's ass. Kane actually did a lot of work in those tag matches, so I can't buy an argument that he was protected from doing "half the work".

Nor can I buy that any tag team partner is doing half of anything. It's a different story format.

• Like 2

Good tag teams require good timing together. Kane and Bryan had stuff they did together that utilized both strengths. Sometimes they'd even role reversal with Bryan being the monster to save Kane's ass. Kane actually did a lot of work in those tag matches, so I can't buy an argument that he was protected from doing "half the work".

Nor can I buy that any tag team partner is doing half of anything. It's a different story format.

I, for one, am still glad to see that Commissioner Max Andrews here is still capable of a damn fine post. 

For his effort, 

• Like 2

Daniel Bryan smiles in the face of the authority holding him down. When fighting authority, Stone Cold only smiled when somebody A)had been stunned, B)was about to be stunned or C)was having a beer bush after stunning five or more people. Goldust has not smiled at the authority. Dust is closer to Stone Coldliness.

Vote for someone who knows how to whoop ass. Vote Dust.

• Like 1

Tough vote here.. but I have to go with Goldust because.. let's put it this way. No one expected that Goldust in 2013 would come back and have some absolutely jaw dropping, stunning,  great matches.

To paraphrase above: Bryan's hit for average (let's compare it to say.. a .350 average)  for most of the year, but Goldust has had a half year of "Do not look directly at Goldust or you will go blind from the light/heat" hot streak. (I'd say a .450/.500 average with power and steals)

And while it shouldn't, I think to myself.. this time next year Goldust will have said "That's enough, I'm done", while Daniel Bryan will once again be here.

But on the other hand, if Bryan wins again this year we can probably just name the tournament after him and retire him.

Goldust-

Has Star Wars references vs Lord of the Rings references

has a gimp suit instead of dressing like Teddy Ruxpin

has cool merchandise instead of stupid looking merchandise

Is the living embodiment of bling vs a fucking hippie that wears Toms

would win in a real fight

made me want to watch New Age Outlaws matches in 2014

is over 6 feet tall

has muscles even though nobody can see them under his suit

doesn't win this thing every goddamned year

• Like 2