DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: FINAL FOUR: GOLDUST vs. DANIEL BRYAN

GOLDUST vs. DANIEL BRYAN  

141 members have voted

1. 1. CAN DANIEL BRYAN BE STOPPED?!?!

You'll be surprised to find I voted for Daniel Bryan. Bryan had numerous six-man tags against The Shield usually Kane was part of them, my 2013 Match of the Year against John Cena at SummerSlam 2013, the series of matches against Randy Orton and one of the best matches this year against Bray Wyatt at the Royal Rumble. I like and am a fan of Goldust, the Battleground tag with Cody against Reigns/Rollins was the highlight of the run.

This is going to hurt.

All I've got is that Bryan drops selling, ends up stuck in formula way more than a wrestler of his talent should, and takes maybe more of the match than he should and had a really video-game-y match with Cena at Summerslam and Dustin does everything basically perfectly. I love the idea that someone else had that not only did he come up with a bunch of new stuff, but he utilizes it all perfectly. 

I think Goldust has had the better year. Very, very clearly. I think if you break down what he does in matches it's better. 

Obviously the rest of you don't. 

• Like 2

A+ players don't give a shit about limb selling. Goldust had a good run, but he proved with those botches against Fan-Dan-Go that he's a B+ player at best.

Not a fault of Fandongo?  (Legit question, as I didn't get to watch last night's ep & a number of the recap sites read like it was Fandongo's responsibility.)

A+ players don't give a shit about limb selling. Goldust had a good run, but he proved with those botches against Fan-Dan-Go that he's a B+ player at best.

Objection! Outside the voting period. I call for a mistrial. Let's start the voting over.

Not a fault of Fandongo?  (Legit question, as I didn't get to watch last night's ep & a number of the recap sites read like it was Fandongo's responsibility.)

I dunno. But Goldust dropped his selling to have a hissy fit after winning. B+ player IMHO.

I have to go to work and can't continue to give you people shit for this, so I'll leave it at this:

One day, you'll be of fire. Probably due to some mistake you made, bringing it upon yourself.

I'll walk by and see you burning, holding a gigantic big gulp cup.

YOU: Pour that on me, I'm dying!

I'll reveal the cup is empty.

YOU: Pee on me bro, I'm dying!

I'll take the list of who voted for Daniel Bryan out of my pocket, see your name on the list, and laugh in your melting face as I strut away.

A vote for Daniel Bryan immediately loses all my respect for you. I'm watching the list

You lost the right to hold respect over everyone when you voted that shitbum numptie Reigns over Negro Casas. Shameful display!

• Like 4

I feel like limb selling is kind of a dying art and we're gonna have to adjust to that. I may be making excuses but its not like wwe are gonna start booking finishes where people tap to armbars because of cumulative damage. I love that shit in 70s nwa title matches, but it feels like criticising wwe style for its lack of complexity on that level is chastising an apple for not being an orange.

I can see why it counts against him but I'd be kind of pissed if cesaro won the final on that basis alone. Still haven't decided on who I'll vote for though...

I feel like limb selling is kind of a dying art and we're gonna have to adjust to that. I may be making excuses but its not like wwe are gonna start booking finishes where people tap to armbars because of cumulative damage. I love that shit in 70s nwa title matches, but it feels like criticising wwe style for its lack of complexity on that level is chastising an apple for not being an orange.

I can see why it counts against him but I'd be kind of pissed if cesaro won the final on that basis alone. Still haven't decided on who I'll vote for though...

It'd be one case if no one does it. Some people do it. Others do not. It's not about doing it for the sake of doing it. That might actually take away from a match. It's a tool like anything else, but it's a tool that's used for the sake of storytelling. The main issue is doing it a lot and then dropping it, or to have a match centered around a body part and then dropping it. 

Anything in wrestling that's done for the sake of doing it is probably bad. At the same time, if something's done in a match, it should mean something. Otherwise, they're just doing shit for the sake of it. How it means something is match by match.

The point though is that some guys are better than others with it. Bryan is relatively bad. Cesaro on the other hand, had a match where it was enough of a part of the storyline that he literally reset his own body part in order to explain it going away. It's how it's used. 

I reiterate my argument from an earlier round: voting for a tag wrestler to win this is like voting for a designated hitter for MVP. In Goldust's case, it's like voting for a DH who missed half the season.

For what it's worth, Bryan's limb selling has gotten better in his recent matches. Maybe he heard the complaints.

Recent matches are out of the voting period.

There are different skills involved in being a tag wrestler and a singles wrestler.  If you had to choose between a really awesome tag wrestler and an ok singles wrestler, would you go with the average singles wrestler?  If not, then the question simply becomes where the line is drawn, if we even decide to draw the line.