DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: ELITE EIGHT - HARPER vs. GOLDUST

LUKE HARPER vs. GOLDUST  

130 members have voted

1. 1. This might hurt a little.

Toughest match in the tournament. 

By far. I don't know who to vote for yet.

Dustin coming back in 2013 and being absolutely awesome made the inner 10 yr old Dustin fan mark the fuck out, but Luke has been a beast for quite sometime. He really makes you feel that he lives the gimmick, and the fact that he murderizes fools with lariats and big boots makes me want to vote for him.

I dunno..I guess Luke.

I keep typing up arguments for why I voted for Harper, and when I read them back I inevitably say 'shit, you could say the exact same thing about Goldust'. I don't begrudge anyone a vote either way, because this match up is very clearly just going to come down to personal opinion.

Voted for Goldust.

What hurts Harper to me is that for all the talk of Dustin not really doing anything other than random indies for half of the period covered by voting, I really wasn't impressed with Harper in NXT outside of the Sheamus match and the Ohno match and the Ohno match was after Dustin was already in the promotion IIRC.  It's not that Harper was bad, but he was really just a guy for big chunks of last year.  

When I stack him up next to Goldust and factor in this year it is close though.  Where Dustin has the advantages are, I think he has more quality matches under his belt during the time frame, and also the fact that I thought Dustin was the best guy in the world for at least three straight months (Sept, Oct, Nov), and he may have been the best guy in the world in Dec. (Casas is right there).  

I love Harper, loved him as Brodie Lee too.  Honestly I think he's a top five guy in the world so far this year at absolute worst, and wouldn't argue with someone if they had him at one.  But I think for the time period he doesn't have quite enough to surpass Dustin.  

This is very difficult. I really like both these guys. I'll go with Dustin because his journey this year feels like the original ending to The Wrestler that they pulled because it would insult the audience. How is it even possible that a guy who seemingly ran out of chances years ago, rejoins WWE in his mid-40s looking better than ever before and making an arguable claim to best wrestler in the world?

• Like 2

Yeah, you don't see many guys in their mid-40's start doing "Code Reds" as setup moves in WWE. Goldust is wrestling like a man with no future, and it's probably because he knows this is it. I like Harper, but Goldust has been damn near "True Grit" in his final moment in the spotlight...

Side note, but I think if anyone is going to benefit from the "what have you done for me lately" voter it's going to be Harper

I don't know. There was a week where Harper had the Ohno match, a Bryan match, and maybe a Punk match too, something else high profile. That was back deep into last year. I think I'm still going with Dustin for "level of difficulty."

Let me figure out what I'm talking about.

Looks like the first week of November is when he had a Punk match on Monday, the Ohno match on NXT, and then a Bryan match on Smackdown.

So not THAT back deep into the year. I didn't realize Ohno was around that late. 

Goldust is doing sentons and second rope hurricanranas that make sense in the layout of the match and build heat for hot tags to Cody. It's such a masterful use of moves he's not done since now that it's really hard for me to vote against him.

Harper is really good, but I have yet to see something from him that makes me think he is head and shoulders above other people on the roster, and I LIKE big boots and clotheslines. His dives are a lot of fun, though.

• Like 1

This is the only one of today's matches that was hard for me to decide. Bryan and Cesaro were no-brainers, and Reigns isn't on Cena's level yet, but Harper has been arguably the biggest reason for the success of the Wyatts, and he's only been getting better, while Goldy's stagnated a bit since the Rhodeses lost the title, but in the end that's the booking, and I can't penalize him for that. This is Goldy's final moment in the sun.

Goldie is a better babyface than Harper is a heel. I'm basing it on that. Every Goldust match has such a great story and emotion to it. Harper, because of his character, plays a secondary role in matches and Bray kind of gets the great character moments.

Goldust is doing sentons and second rope hurricanranas that make sense in the layout of the match and build heat for hot tags to Cody. It's such a masterful use of moves he's not done since now that it's really hard for me to vote against him.

Harper is really good, but I have yet to see something from him that makes me think he is head and shoulders above other people on the roster, and I LIKE big boots and clotheslines. His dives are a lot of fun, though.

This is a great point. It's easy to impressed by Goldust breaking out the acrobatic junk because he's old as hell, but what puts it over the top is how much it makes sense with what he was doing this year. In his most memorable stuff, he was fighting for his family or defending the tag belts he got from the defensive of that family. You really believe this dude would be throwing his body at things like he was going to kill himself becaue he's got no other choice. It's a fitting reason to put him over Harper for me.

Harper on NXT was fun, had the great Ohno match, some decent tags, but didn't really come out of his shell until the end of the year. Goldust getting a few months to really be a part of some great tags helps him take the lead.

To me, it almost comes down to the Battleground Tag vs. the EC 6-man. That tag was one of the best things I had seen in the WWE in quite some time, and then a few months later, the EC 6-man became almost the stamp on what the Wyatts were about.

The one thing I don't like is that we don't have a lot of Goldust singles matches, whereas Harper got a chance to work solo a bunch more and looked great in doing so. In the end, I think the sheer quality of the work starting with the Battleground tag going forward was really just incredibly high.

Voting Goldust over...well, everybody.

Such a great comeback story. It was the best part of my wrestling fandom this past year.

Harper was indeed awesome and I'm not even mad he beat my boy Sami.

But Goldie's my guy this year.

Cesaro 2nd. Zayn was 3rd.

Bryan 4th, I guess. Meh...same ol', same ol'.

Harper has been arguably the biggest reason for the success of the Wyatts

I'd love to hear this argument. I like Harper, but saying his ringwork was more important than Bray's promos/the entrance/the gimmick itself seems pretty bold.