DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

On 4/9/2020 at 4:10 PM, Southside Jim said:

I distinctly remember that there were two versions of the Great American Bash 86 and Starrcade 86 commercial tapes, with extra matches added to the start of the tape.

The first video store I ever frequented had copies of both tapes that opened with the music video intro before cutting to the announcers, while after I moved, I found a video store that had a copy of Bash 86 that opened with Flair vs. Hawk from Philadelphia, and then cut to the intro, and the Starrcade 86 copy opened with Wahoo McDaniel vs. Rick Rude and then cut to the intro.

Does anyone else remember this?

You are 100% correct. There was also two versions of Bash 85 PWI tape, and two versions of the Starrcade 85 release.

Edit...also there was a third version of SC 86, the New Zealand version which is basically the WWE network version but with the actual real music intros. I believe it was a two tape set.

Edited by The Great ML
  • Thanks 1

Watching a Cornette shoot and he’s talking about a Randy Savage/Bobby Eaton hour broadway from 1979. ICW, I assume? Did any of this (or other footage with the two of them from this era) make tape?

That’s a new holy grail-level match for me. 

6 hours ago, Shane said:

Watching a Cornette shoot and he’s talking about a Randy Savage/Bobby Eaton hour broadway from 1979. ICW, I assume? Did any of this (or other footage with the two of them from this era) make tape?

That’s a new holy grail-level match for me. 

Keep wishing, my friend.

Two questions related to the death of Joe Pedicino:

I remember Entertainment Tonight doing a story on the 1991 NATPE Convention, and the GWF was there with Bill Eadie calling himself "Axis The Demolisher."  Did Eadie ever actually work for GWF or did Vince's lawyers shut that down before they started taping matches?

Also, I remember in 1993 WCW had a backstage interviewer who was either autistic or had Down's Syndrome on a couple PPVs.  Anyone remember his name and whatever happened to him?

Edited by Southside Jim

Just now, Southside Jim said:

Did Bill Eadie ever actually work any matches for Pedicino's GWF?

I remember watching Entertainment Tonight circa 1991 with my parents and they were at one of those conventions where TV shows tried to get syndicators and networks to pick them up, and they showed the GWF booth and Eadie was calling himself "Axis The Demolisher" and hyping the debut of the Global.

My dad just looked at me and said, "well, he's gonna get sued by the WWF."

I do recall him popping up on ESPN as "Axis the Demolisher" and worked the North American title tournament.

Cagematch lists at least four GWF matches as Axis in 1991, including a combined show with "Georgia All-Star Wrestling" in Marietta in 1991 where he faced Terry Gordy.

I also seem to recall when Bad News Brown popped up in Global, the announcers were very, shall we say, delicate in how to refer to him for legal reasons. He was referred to an on-air as simply "Bad News" but you can clearly hear the ring announcer say "Bad News Brown" more than once.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

Also, I remember in 1993 WCW had a backstage interviewer who was either autistic or had Down's Syndrome on a couple PPVs.  Anyone remember his name and whatever happened to him?

Jason Hervey? I kid.

It was actually Scott Dunlap, who had cerebral palsy.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

So what's the story behind Chris Hero wearing trash bags for pants?

I wasn't really following the indy scene back then and in my hazy memories, I always thought that was Larry Sweeney who wore the trash bags due to his bipolar disorder.

In the early aughts indies you had to choose between being a trash-bag pants guy or a kickpads guy.

Did Tajiri kick off the trash-bag pants craze?

This was from Justin Roberts a few years back (around 2014), explaining who Scott Dunlap was and how he got the chance to work as an announcer for WCW. To be honest, I presumed he was the son of a Turner Broadcasting employee or something similar.

Meet Scott. He has spastic cerebral palsy in all four limbs. He LOVES professional wrestling. He has since he was a child. He told me that “people with disabilities look at their heroes get beat down and love to see them come back up” and how motivating that is. He loves to see the wrestlers fight through their personal issues as well. He didn’t have a social life in high school, but found happiness in professional wrestling. These days, he turns to professional wrestling for an escape. Scott had wanted to be a wrestling announcer. Through a counselor in high school and then the Starlight Foundation, Scott received the opportunity from Eric Bischoff and the now defunct World Championship Wrestling to be an announcer on two shows interviewing Davey Boy Smith and Ric Flair. Scott was thrilled when that happened and just as thrilled recently when they reunited a couple of weeks ago in Dallas.

• Like 5

On 4/21/2020 at 10:57 AM, Southside Jim said:

I remember Entertainment Tonight doing a story on the 1991 NATPE Convention, and the GWF was there with Bill Eadie calling himself "Axis The Demolisher."  Did Eadie ever actually work for GWF or did Vince's lawyers shut that down before they started taping matches?

Eadie was the first GWF booker before Eddie Gilbert took over...I believe Bill left when he found out the Nigerian billionaire backer was a ruse.

59 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

Eadie was the first GWF booker before Eddie Gilbert took over...I believe Bill left when he found out the Nigerian billionaire backer was a ruse.

I would very much like to hear the story behind this.