DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

1 hour ago, Liam said:

What happened to Don Kernodle? He seemed to be a pretty big deal in an around 83-85, but seemed to then fall off a cliff.

He lives down in the Greensboro area. I see him  a time or two every year. Comes to the CWF shows once in a while. Seems to be perfectly happy to be out of the business.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RandomAct said:

He lives down in the Greensboro area. I see him  a time or two every year. Comes to the CWF shows once in a while. Seems to be perfectly happy to be out of the business.

Cool. Am I right in thinking he didn't really do much after his JCP run? That I guess is more what I'm thinking about in terms of 'falling off a cliff'. He went from a big deal to what seemed like nothing at all, so I could only assume I'm either not aware of things he had done or he retired.

1 minute ago, RandomAct said:

Yeah, he worked the local indies around here for years, but his national run ended after JCP. He's still a fairly big draw in this area if you slap his name on a poster.

Cheers. I've always really liked his work - what I've seen of it at least.

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The fact that show has been on for almost thirty years is a crime against humanity.

Let's be honest.  Raw being on the air for 24 years or so now isn't doing the human race any favors either.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

Say, what was with Nikita Koloff getting jobbed out in 92? Was it a prime example of Bill Watts cutting costs to boost his pay?

Pretty much but Nikita of that timeframe wasn't anything special. Nikita should have gone to the WWF and done a total gimmick change when he came back. 

6 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Say, what was with Nikita Koloff getting jobbed out in 92? Was it a prime example of Bill Watts cutting costs to boost his pay?

From what I've read, Nikita was hurt and was getting ready to retire. He just wanted to put some guys over on his way out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In the late 70s GCW, the Fields brothers,had the MS GULF coast. Mostly running Gulfport and pascagoula. Once GCW folded Mid south started running Biloxi.

Seems Memphis handled the north part of MS. Someone ,I will ask,had control of MS from Jackson to Hattiesburg.  

WWF didn't even come to the MS GULF coast until summer of 89.

• Like 2

I was just killing time on ProwrestlingStories.com and came across this gem I'd never heard before about Scott Hall beating up Jannetty in the AWA:

I just beat the hell out of him. And Marty was a top babyface [so] I figured, ‘Well I’m fired now… screw it, I’ll go back to Florida, back to [bouncing] strip clubs. I can always get a job doing that…’

As I was walking under the tunnel back to the heel side…and I hear this, ‘Hey Steeve…’

It’s Harley Race.

I turn around – and you know, I’m pumped ‘cos I’m 290 pounds, I’m young, I’ve just been in a fight – and I go, ‘Are you talking to me, Harley?’ – Because I figure I’m fired anyway, right?

‘Are you talking to me, Harley? My name is Scott! SCOTT HALL!

I’ve been here six ‘effin months…my name is SCOTT HALL!!’

He went, [non-plussed] ‘Caaalm down, kid…’

He’s so cool, he comes over – I’d damaged my knuckle hitting [Jannetty] like a wild man, ‘cos instead of boxing I was just wailing and I’d jammed my knuckle on my little finger – so Harley re-set my knuckle for me.

And then he goes: ‘Hey kid – next time you do that shit…do it after the show. Now the fuckin’ guy can’t work…’“

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Old school wrestling and sports question.

Was the Ernie Ladd/Skandor Akbar/Samoans/One Man Gang angle from Mid-South 82 the first time D. James Andrews was name checked on television? From googling, it seems like Andrews didn't gain national notoriety until performing a procedure on Roger Clemens in 1985.

Background: Ladd was managing the Afa and Sika when they were stolen by Akbar (sidenote: I've spent the last week trying to say "Waitaminnit....nobody represents them Samoans but me..." the same way Ladd does when he finds out.) When he confront them, he's put out by the Samoans and a debuting One Man Gang (1.0, long hair version) and proceeds to get a knee procedure performed by Andrews (presumably the reason for the angle being done).

Hey...watch it here...

They show footage of the procedure and having to watch that, plus the Superstar Graham surgery footage from Prime Time Wrestling, I feel the Network owes me a couple dollars off my subscription fee...

On 11/21/2017 at 3:48 PM, elizium said:

Ladd was managing the Afa and Sika

I just watched them wrestling Ted DiBiase and Bob Roop in Mid-South yesterday. Like everything on the Wrestling Gold set: nice, short, and chaotic. Ernie was not afraid to interfere liberally (of course) and they teased a belt switch but since Teddy dragged Ernie into the ring, they were DQed. I think during the course of the match Corny and Meltz brought up that knee surgery ending his active career (did it? I am not watching that video haha). 

EDIT: Wiki says "recurring knee injuries" ended it in '86 so I presume whatever's in that clip had a lot to do with it. But then Corny said he had to leave pro football because of his knees too.