DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

1 hour ago, zev said:

Mantaur?

Yeah, it's hard to beat Mike Shaw for bad gimmicks - Bastion Booger, Friar Ferguson, Norman the Lunatic/Trucker Norm, Jed Grundy, etc.

That said, he did really well with the Makhan Singh gimmick in Stampede.

Edit; Mantaur wasn't a Mike Shaw gimmick.  My bad. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Harms said:

I seem to remember me and my dad laughing at Avatar because he botched a lot. Did this happen? Or did he just botch once and we laughed about it and my memory is playing tricks on me?

In his debut match I remember at least three botches, I don't think that gimmick made TV more than a couple times.

2 hours ago, Mr Harms said:

I seem to remember me and my dad laughing at Avatar because he botched a lot. Did this happen? Or did he just botch once and we laughed about it and my memory is playing tricks on me?

He dumps HBK on his head during one of the Feb. '96 Raw's. That's one that comes to mind. 

**edit** 

Nevermind, he was Leif in the match. Only gif I could find: 

140223739679231.gif

I liked Al Snow in SMW, but even as a reliable hand, he did not translate to the big arenas at all for me. His many deficiencies were exposed. However, that ECW "Head" run was incredible. He ably filled the spot that Heyman literally created for him, proving that if you present someone as being over, they get over. Sheer textbook booking...

- what do you want?,

RAF

53 minutes ago, TheeReverendAxlFuture said:

I liked Al Snow in SMW, but even as a reliable hand, he did not translate to the big arenas at all for me. His many deficiencies were exposed. However, that ECW "Head" run was incredible. He ably filled the spot that Heyman literally created for him, proving that if you present someone as being over, they get over. Sheer textbook booking...

- what do you want?,

RAF

Then why isn't that working for Roman?

Back in 1997 or so, WCW Live! was that audio only internet show with Mark Madden and some others doing play by play at house shows, right? Anyone know if a copy of one shows of those can be found online anywhere?

On 5/5/2016 at 4:35 PM, zev said:

Back in 1997 or so, WCW Live! was that audio only internet show with Mark Madden and some others doing play by play at house shows, right? Anyone know if a copy of one shows of those can be found online anywhere?

i have never run across an episode online.

i've always kept an eye open for their audio PPV broadcasts (Boston Brawl, LA Melee, etc.) but similarly have never found anybody that had a copy. You have to assume these events were taped, it would be so easy for WWE to release them with the audio broadcast as commentary. instant purchase for me.

• Like 1

I watched a bit of WWF in 1996 and Cornette was Vader's manager, stopped watching for a cup of coffee and suddenly Paul Bearer is his manager. Was there a storyline switch or something, or did Cornette and Vader get pissed at each other backstage? 

Can anyone remember what the story was with Clarence Mason? I remember him being brought in by Camp Cornette to litigate and block title defences and stuff and he was a huge heat magnet but he just seemed to disappear. Wasn't he responsible for forming the Nation of Domination initially too and acted as their mouthpiece?

3 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Can anyone remember what the story was with Clarence Mason? I remember him being brought in by Camp Cornette to litigate and block title defences and stuff and he was a huge heat magnet but he just seemed to disappear. Wasn't he responsible for forming the Nation of Domination initially too and acted as their mouthpiece?

Vince wanted to capitalize on the OJ trial, so he brought in Mason, who's an actual attorney and buddy of Ernie Ladd. He got released after he asked to be taken out of NOD because he was uncomfortable with the gimmick. He had the cup of coffee in WCW and then went back to practicing law.

31 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

After the brilliant idea from Turner Broadcasting of shoe-horning Robocop and Oz in WCW, why did Captain Planet never make an appearance?

Don Cheadle's asking price was too high.

• Like 9

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Yeah, he talked about it in his old Ring of Honor shoot. WCW wanted him to be a kid-friendly character, so after he had to stop with Arachnaman, he said something to the effect of "well, you guys own Captain Planet, just make me Captain Planet."