DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

The VEs were also featured in one of the first couple of Victory magazines, which replaced the color programs and later morphed into the WWF/E magazine. I figured that their appearance was akin to the usage of the territory big guns on local house shows, but maybe Mr. McMahon saw something more in them?

- RAF

The VEs were also featured in one of the first couple of Victory magazines, which replaced the color programs and later morphed into the WWF/E magazine. I figured that their appearance was akin to the usage of the territory big guns on local house shows, but maybe Mr. McMahon saw something more in them?

- RAF

Vince always played nice with Fritz, he even let Ricky Steamboat work one of the Cotton Bowl shows. The story I always heard was that Vince wanted some sorta working relationship with World Class but Fritz never pulled the trigger on it. Maybe he was leery after what happened when Vince "bought" Stampede from Stu Hart.

Of course Hogan would not do what's good for business, especially 20 years ago. Hell, he is still indulging his ego in TNA. Also, Bret Hart's career survived just fine without that. However, the business would have clearly been better for Hulk putting Bret over and passing the torch to the new star of his generation.

When has Hogan done anything that was purely for the good of business? I'm really drawing a blank here and I'm sure it's something obvious but....either he got lucky (being vinces guy) or he politicized into situations where it only looks like what he did was best for business (nwo). He dropped belts to go promote Hogan the brand, he made no one in his career, and was in some way responsible for the demise of two wrestling organizations.

I'unno I guess he made Goldberg, but you could argue he was also then involved in backstage stuff that permanently tarnished Goldberg in WCW later on

Speaking of Hogan, I assume when he and Warrior did the respect embrace at WM VI they were actually muttering all sorts of insults at each other - are there any other good examples of moving post-match respect handshake situations where both guys actually legit hated each other's guts but the fans at the time bought it as sincere? (I guess a lot of them are probably Hogan)

There would probably have been a classic one at WM12 if Shawn hadn't had Hebner tell Hart to just leave; still kind of suspect the 2010 reconciliation stuff between Shawn and Bret still had at least a bit of needle to it

Yeah, didn't Hogan originally lose to Goldie on the provision he be the first to beat him in the end? Obviously never turned out that way, but it's fairly typical Hogan behaviour - only give something with the intent of getting it back, or taking something bigger in the end,

Watching old USWA I recorded on WJYS (yes) back in the day. I'm sure anyone who's watched any Memphis has heard the announcement at the very end of the show about the announcers being paid for by the promotion and not the TV station. Anyone know the reason why they had to say that? It may be something about TV rules and regulations, of which I know very little about..

Or could it be to enhance the "sports" presentation possibly? In a similar vein, I vaguely remember Gorilla Monsoon doing the "strictly prohibited" spiel about the imposition of a charge, like they did during baseball games.

Dunno about in the US but in the UK most, if not all, sports announcers work for the station, not the league. I guess it was to prevent bringing the station into disrepute by implying that their trusted announcers pretending wrestling was real. But I know some wrestling announcers in the US did work for the station and not the promotion. Ed Whalen for one. I think Lance Russell might be a borderline case as I think he was on the payroll both at WMC as a programming director and for the Jarretts as a wrestling announcer. I know here in Britain Kent Walton worked for LWT or whichever ITV station was responsible for World of Sport, not Joint Promotions, which is why he announced for All-Star when they got a share of the TV slot.

• Like 1

Dunno about in the US but in the UK most, if not all, sports announcers work for the station, not the league. I guess it was to prevent bringing the station into disrepute by implying that their trusted announcers pretending wrestling was real. But I know some wrestling announcers in the US did work for the station and not the promotion. Ed Whalen for one. I think Lance Russell might be a borderline case as I think he was on the payroll both at WMC as a programming director and for the Jarretts as a wrestling announcer. I know here in Britain Kent Walton worked for LWT or whichever ITV station was responsible for World of Sport, not Joint Promotions, which is why he announced for All-Star when they got a share of the TV slot.

All sports announcers in the US work for the station. I can't think of one instance where the league directly employs announcers.

All sports announcers in the US work for the station. I can't think of one instance where the league directly employs announcers.

UFC?

UFC?

UFC seems to run on a pro wrestling model in a lot of ways. 

That is one of them. 

Not sure this goes here, but was George "The Animal" Steele any good at any point? All I can recall of him was him eating turnbuckles with a green tongue in the 80's.

I suppose that depends how you define "any good." He worked as an amateur wrestling coach so obviously he knew how to wrestle, but like Gorilla Monsoon his character just didn't call for that.  He mainly worked for the WW(W)F, which wasn't exactly known for workrate, so he was fine for that but I suspect he wouldn't have done nearly as well in, say, Mid-Atlantic.  (Not for any length of time, anyway.)

ETA: He did work an All Japan tour in 1974, so I'm guessing he could go when he had to.

Edited by cool arrow