DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Say, that reminds me, has anyone ever asked Kevin Sullivan (or whoever came up with the idea) why the Yeti turned out to be a mummy rather than a... well, Yeti?

Toilet paper is cheaper than a giant size yeti costume?

Just think, if Russo was around WCW at that point, The Yeti would have been a rapper (wrapper? nyuk nyuk nyuk) named 2-ply. Which, I'm not sure whether that would have been better or worse. Speaking of which, I may need to find that Russo books ol' school thread.

The Patriot was the bomb.  The Patriot fucking missile?!?!?!?!?!  GWF kids.....GWF.

The Patriot during the GWF days was awesome. PWI loved that bastard, and when he left, I remember a lead story with a bloody Eddie Gilbert saying "A REAL Patriot doesn't quit". Was awesome. Stilll pissed my mom tossed away by box full of wrestling magazines without asking me about it.

Hogan and Gonzales were friends.  Hogan wanted to bring him in and beat him because he liked (likes? He probably still enjoys the thought of) beating giants.

Pretty sure the three giants were always supposed to be The Giant, The One Man Gang, and Gonzales as THE YEH-TAY!

They just stuck Reis in there as the substitute YEH-TAY when the Gonzales deal fell through.  He came back a few months later wearing the same ninja outfit as The Super Giant Ninja and lost to Gang.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xojp29_one-man-gang-vs-super-giant-ninja-wcw-united-states-title_sport

Dusty and Schiavone act like they've never seen him before.  Gang would go on to Nitro and not only get slammed and pinned clean but Hogan blew off the 747 like it was nothing.

Did Hogan ever score a pinfall finish over Roddy Piper? And if not... why not? What's the story there?

I cannot fathom Hogan not wanting to go over Piper clean at some point, after Piper beat him multiple times. Especially in WCW when he had creative control. I mean he brought Warrior in to get his win back, why not Piper...

well, officially, Hogan won the rematch for the WCW Title at SuperBrawl 7.

Piper really wins with the sleeper, but Savage pulls Hogan's leg under the ropes after the fact and the referee restarts the match, which Hogan wins after nailing Piper with Brass Knux.

this is where the nonsensical Savage nWo-turn happens.

Hogan also pins Piper during both of their return to WWE in 2003ish. of course, Hogan was masquerading as "Mr. America" so maybe that doesn't count.

but to answer your second question, i always assumed that Piper absolutely refused to lose to Hogan as a trade for not winning the title.

Hogan won the Age in the Cage match, didn't he?

with help from Savage I think.

Piper actually won that one with the sleeper.

Post-match, Savage and Hogan beat him down and cuffed him to the cage tho.

• Like 1

I had always assumed The Yeti was Giant Gonzales.  It actually wasn't until a few years ago I found out it was actually Reis.  Were there any super-big guys from the late 80s-early 90s that weren't in the Dungeon of Doom at some point?

edit: I just checked and King Kong Bundy wasn't in there

I just read the observer issue talking about The Yeti shit.

He said Ron Reis became the Yeti when Jorge Gonzalez had to drop out due to health issues.

But as for who the three giants were supposed to be, here's the Sept 25 1995 quote:

"There is also talk of some sort of a three-ring gimmick triangular match with The Giant, Ron Reis and El Gigante and I think the show is going to be billed as "War of the Worlds"

Reis was probably always going to be a humping mummy, just called something else. Gonzalez being the Yeti as a thinly veiled Giant Gonzalez gimmick ripoff is pretty much par for the course for WCW as well.

Savage's NWO turn made perfect sense. He had a choice between being blackballed or buying in to the big new thing and he sold out. Add in that his arch enemy Ric Flair was an NWO rival.

"hey these guys have been beating me senseless for six months. they cost me the world title and my girl. but i guess i'll just be buddy-buddy with them from now on....."

• Like 2

I just read the observer issue talking about The Yeti shit.

He said Ron Reis became the Yeti when Jorge Gonzalez had to drop out due to health issues.

But as for who the three giants were supposed to be, here's the Sept 25 1995 quote:

"There is also talk of some sort of a three-ring gimmick triangular match with The Giant, Ron Reis and El Gigante and I think the show is going to be billed as "War of the Worlds"

Reis was probably always going to be a humping mummy, just called something else. Gonzalez being the Yeti as a thinly veiled Giant Gonzalez gimmick ripoff is pretty much par for the course for WCW as well.

Especially given that they had Tenta as Avalanche and Traylor as The Boss not too long before that.  They loved pushing as far as they could with WWF owned gimmicks.

I always wondered if Dusty couldn't pronounce "Mummy" correctly or something.  I'm serious

In Florida, the Zambuie Express was so named because Blackjack Mulligan couldn't pronounce the team's actual name - "Zimbabwe Express" correctly, and Zambuie was generally the word that came out of his mouth. Also, one of the members was renamed "Elijah Akeem" supposedly because Dusty kept butchering his actual gimmick name in promos.

In retrospect, a Yeh-TAY / Mum-MAY tag team with Dusty on commentary woulda been worth the price of admission.