DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Given that the Iron Sheik was the first guy to win a major title with a gimmicked stage name, was he ever billed as anything else around that time? i.e "The Iron Sheik" Hossein Arab?

He'd been the Iron Sheik for a few years at that point in GCW, etc., so that was the name he was best known as and - unless Dick Graham or Gorilla Monsoon or Kal Rudman wandered off-book during commentary at one of those televised house shows at MSG or the Spectrum - I don't believe they referred to him by any other name until they turned him Iraqi later.

As for world titles, the NWA was strict under Muchnick about keeping real/"realistic" named guys with the strap, but Mil Mascaras did hold the IWA "world title" (and may still defend the damn thing) and the AWA was never shy in the early days about putting world titles on guys named "Da Crusher" and "Mr. M" if I recall.

Is there a list of all the Memphis episodes that are available somewhere? I'm watching on Youtube and there seem to be large gaps in 82 and 83 but a lot of stuff from those gaps appears to be on the Best of Memphis 80s discs from a couple years ago. Summer 1983 and the Lawler/Dundee feud episodes missing is odd to me as there's obviously a ton of footage there, but I can't find any of the episodes in full.

So has anyone ever put a list together of all the episodes that we know exist? And also, where does the other footage on the Memphis set come from if not the Memphis TV shows?

I figured this was the best thread for this so what are generally the best (pref non WWF or very early career WWF) Jake Roberts matches and feuds?

He's a guy I've wanted to get into but don't know much aside from the obvious matches and feuds

I thought the Steamboat/Roberts feud was great and their 8/9/86 Boston match was the best of the bunch.  Jake actually uses defense against Steamboat's karate strikes to the point that the crowd is buzzing for Ricky to finally deliver a simple chop.

Is there a list of all the Memphis episodes that are available somewhere? I'm watching on Youtube and there seem to be large gaps in 82 and 83 but a lot of stuff from those gaps appears to be on the Best of Memphis 80s discs from a couple years ago. Summer 1983 and the Lawler/Dundee feud episodes missing is odd to me as there's obviously a ton of footage there, but I can't find any of the episodes in full.

So has anyone ever put a list together of all the episodes that we know exist? And also, where does the other footage on the Memphis set come from if not the Memphis TV shows?

I think Lawler said that they used to not keep the old Memphis TV tapes, which pretty much means that unless they find some guy in Covington TN that's been taping the Saturday morning show and keeping the tapes boxed up in his garage somewhere we'll never see those episodes.

I think Lawler said that they used to not keep the old Memphis TV tapes, which pretty much means that unless they find some guy in Covington TN that's been taping the Saturday morning show and keeping the tapes boxed up in his garage somewhere we'll never see those episodes.

Yeah, no I get that. That's something most people who are digging into this stuff know coming in, that there's gonna be large gaps in footage. I'm just wondering if anyone ever compiled a list of what we do have.

Given that the Iron Sheik was the first guy to win a major title with a gimmicked stage name, was he ever billed as anything else around that time? i.e "The Iron Sheik" Hossein Arab?

Not sure what you mean by gimmicked stage name, Dusty Rhodes and Superstar Billy Graham are stage names. Do you mean gimmick names that aren't even close to a first and last name?

Not sure what you mean by gimmicked stage name, Dusty Rhodes and Superstar Billy Graham are stage names. Do you mean gimmick names that aren't even close to a first and last name?

I think he means names that don't sound like it could be a person's real name. I could pull out a phone book and find people with the name "Billy Graham" and "Dusty Rhodes," but I'm not sure how much people have the real name "Iron Sheik." 

Didn't they use the same tapes over again quite frequently? It sounds silly to think about it now but I can imagine that cut costs quite a bit in the late 70's/early 80's.

On a similar note, is it true that the majority of the Portland wrestling that exists is from what Buddy Rose taped off his VCR?  And since most of the Memphis stuff from 82 and 83 I've seen are the Louisville shows (sometimes with commercials), are these Jim Cornette's tapes I'm watching (since he used to do the same thing?)

It's sad how much territorial footage is gone because of tape being so expensive back in the day. The same situation apparently exists for soap operas and as a result, there is little pre-1970 soap opera footage out there. 

Even WWE suffers from this. How much Capitol Wrestling Corporation and early WWWF footage is in the archive?

I think i read a story about Portland Wrestling once,that said,that it cost 20$ to archive the shows and use new tape for each show.But we are talking about the 50s or 60s here. And why archive something if you can't make any money with it in the future.

Here's a question about the Chris Jericho phantom title change:

For everyone who says that Jericho should've kept it, how would you have resolved the fact that the HHH/Rock Iron Man Match had always been announced? Triple Threat Iron Man?

Cornette said on his podcast that he used to take his vcr with him to memphis tv and record old footage, presumably from masters. He specifically referred to the concession stand brawl.

What are the odds of Cornette selling his archive to Vince?

• 2 weeks later...