DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Just off the Top Rope in TNA. Presumably he could have reversed a Powerbomb into one if anyone was strong enough to get him up for one. But his vertical leap deserted him in the mid 90s.

11 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Today's releases got me thinking: Is Samoa Joe the highest-profile Samoan wrestler that isn't at least a shirttail relative of the Anoa'i's?

If not him, it would be interesting to know who else could it be? Considering Joe has been more high profile and successful than at least a few of the actual Anoai members. Unless there's a successful Samoan who I didn't realize was a Samoan out there?

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

You'd prob have to go back to Tapu aka Chief Tapu aka one of the New Guinea Headhunters. Only also person not in the family worth even mentioning is maybe Coco Samoa. 

I was thinking about Coco Samoa, actually, but the little I've seen him and read of him, decided not to bring his name up in the conversation. No match for Joe's success.

But he just last week told Lacey Von Erich that he never worked for the Von Erichs!

nb: This whole twitter thread is insane:

Spoiler

On 4/17/2021 at 7:35 PM, Happ Hazzard said:

How did Ricky Steamboat come to make a one-off appearance in World Class in 1986 on their October Cotton Bowl card?

5WO52Tm.jpg

I’m so glad to see that this site is still up lol! This was my go to for so many things back before the internet supplied information automatically with 1 click in 1 second. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Did WWF ever acknowledge WCW on air before say 1995? I feel like they did not. Even the Real Worlds Champion stuff is very hush hush 

No, and they only mentioned the NWA a few times early on in the expansion, when Vince interviewed Lou Thez on TNT and either Al Hayes or Ernie Ladd slipping on commentary during a Funk or Harley match.

What a good basic question that I can’t believe I never asked. It’s so funny that the NWA and WCW acknowledged them so many times, and did a bunch of other lowkey stuff that was unheard of at the time. The WWF was better at timing though, when they dropped something it was a bomb not a firecracker. That’s ultimately 1 of the reason’s the WWF won the war.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this. Apparently this is an old Podcast but I don’t do Podcasts off the assembly line. I YouTube what I YouTube and Google what I Google whenever I want to know what I want to know. Then like any normal human being I click on something else in the “more like this” sections of all of those services, and not what I originally searched for lol!

That’s what happened here. I’ve watched many of these Conrad clips and the guy annoys me to say the least, but holy f*^% did he get after it here at around 6:50. 6:50 is where I’d start to be totally in context but wow. About dang time too. 

• 1 month later...

Sorry for digging this up from a couple months ago but I had to bring this up.

So at the time I didn't see all the WWF shows  that I hoped due to my parents doing a good job making sure I wasn't a full-on couch potato back then.  Watching 96 Raw and PPVs in October it still had that slight undercurrent of Attitude stuff by October and was quickly ramping up.  But one thing I never heard much about all this time was the time that Paul Heyman called into Livewire.  I almost forgot it existed until I was going through some episodes on Youtube and man is it a doozy.

So I guess the main question is considering it was known that WWF had a hand in ECW in some way were Vince and Paul on some kind of partnership at that point?  Between this and ECW wrestlers going to Mind Games looking back it really makes me wonder.

But honestly?  I just wanted to post this because it not only got people talking but it's something I still can't believe happened.  Oh, and there is a Russo warning but that was expected with his whole Vic Venom thing.  And to be fair I'll admit that along with AOL his columns were my first intro to the "Hmm...something's not as it seems" part of my wrestling fandom.

The latest BTS patreon was on the ECW bankruptcy stuff and Paul going to the WWF.

some of the stuff he did at the time is amazing, inclluding using multiple emaiils to write letters putting down the coverage from dave and wade. 

18 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The latest BTS patreon was on the ECW bankruptcy stuff and Paul going to the WWF.

some of the stuff he did at the time is amazing, inclluding using multiple emaiils to write letters putting down the coverage from dave and wade. 

What's BTS?  I tried Google and didn't come up with anything that seemed obviously wrestling-related.