DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R2 Match 15: REIGNS vs. CASAS

ROMAN REIGNS vs. NEGRO CASAS  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What to do.

This result is a reason why the Shield should have been entered collectively.

Casas has been fucking awesome all year long as a mentor uncle, sneaky veteran, maestro, and any role CMLL wants him to do. The versatility is there. Reigns may get there someday, but not right now.

So instead of railing against people, I will say that I'm glad if some people who hadn't seen much Casas before got to see him, and frankly, I got to see more 2014 Casas than i was planning on seeing and that was a treat, so i'm glad he was in here and did as well as he did, even if I think, personally, he should have done better due to his versatility, body language/smarminess, and willingness to both kill people and die for people.

• Like 2

So instead of railing against people, I will say that I'm glad if some people who hadn't seen much Casas before got to see him, and frankly, I got to see more 2014 Casas than i was planning on seeing and that was a treat, so i'm glad he was in here and did as well as he did, even if I think, personally, he should have done better due to his versatility, body language/smarminess, and willingness to both kill people and die for people.

This was my complete introduction to most of these Lucha gents outside of Park, Wagner, and Blue Panther, which has been really cool. I've been watching a bunch of Casas since homework began and it's all been rad.

I just get the impression that Roman does one thing really well which is act cool and kick ass (okay two things).  Which is cool.  Because he is a young guy who is super good at both of those things and it would be crazy to expect him to be this super well rounded performer at this point.  It would also be crazy for a forty or fifty-something(?) guy like Casas to be able to do everything as well as he does including brawl with the most physically imposing guy in Rush or match holds guys or do comedy or every other thing you can think of.  I do think Reigns works a better finishing stretch than Casas which is huge but I still think there is more meat in the Casas Sandwhich right now.

I think Tanahashi actually compares more to HBK ever since someone kinda made the comparison a few days earlier.

Tanahashi and HBK both exude that sort of dickish mid-90s face sort of thing (air guitar/lounging on the ropes), for one. 

Second, generally speaking of course, I think this board would consider Tanahashi and HBK to be alike in how they are pumped up as workrate warriors beyond what their actual overall output is and probably that they are also pumped up as consistent draws beyond what the numbers actually show. 

If I'm not mistaken, Tanahashi is explicitly billed as the HBK of Japan.

Anyway, I'm on the wrong end of two unexpected (to me, anyway) blowouts this round, so I'll just say that Reigns' apron dropkick was awesome the first time he did it, but it's turned into a 619-style contrived spot.

La Peste Negra vs. The Shield would be amazing with them all trying to outheel each other.

EDIT: Wait, I thought you meant Reigns isn't as good as Casas' brother. I had actually forgotten Rosey and Reigns were brothers until you jogged my memory. I don't know if I'd agree with that. Obviously the other half of 3MW went on to do amazing things, but I can't remember much out of Rosey to be honest. Not to derail the thread (not that this isn't a fucking lost cause now anyways) but does anyone have any 3 Minute Warning or Hurricane/Rosey suggestions for me?