DVDVR Message Board

UFC 171: Hendricks vs. Lawler (3/15/2014) - Dallas, TX (American Airlines Center)

Elsalvajeloco

ufc171.png

UFC 171: Hendricks vs. Lawler

March 15, 2014

Dallas, TX (American Airlines Center)

UFC Welterweight Championship: Johny Hendricks (170)*** vs. Robbie Lawler (170) (vacant) - Hendricks, DEC (unanimous)

Carlos Condit (170.5) vs. Tyron Woodley (170) - Woodley, TKO (knee injury), R2 (2:00)

Diego Sanchez (155) vs. Myles Jury (156) - Jury, DEC (unanimous)

Jake Shields (171) vs. Hector Lombard (170) - Lombard, DEC (unanimous)

Ovince St. Preux (205) vs. Nikita Krylov (205) - St. Preux, SUB (Von Flue choke), R1 (1:29)

Fox Sports 2 Preliminary Card:

Kelvin Gastelum (170)** vs. Rick Story (170.5) - Gastelum, DEC (split)

Raquel Pennington (135.5) vs. Jéssica Andrade (135) - Andrade, DEC (split)

Dennis Bermudez (146) vs. Jimy Hettes (145.5) - Bermudez, TKO (strikes), R3 (2:57)

Sean Spencer (170) vs. Alex Garcia (170.5) - Garcia, DEC (split)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Renée Forte (157)* vs. Frank Trevino (155) - Trevino, DEC (unanimous)

Will Campuzano (125.5) vs. Justin Scoggins (125) - Scoggins, DEC (unanimous)

Robert McDaniel (184.5) vs. Sean Strickland (185) - Strickland, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (4:33)

Daniel Pineda (145) vs. Robert Whiteford (145) - Whiteford, DEC (unanimous)

*Chose not to reweigh; forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

**Reweighed after weighing 172.5 on first attempt and 172 on second attempt

***Reweighed after weighing 171.5 on first attempt

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Dennis Bermudez

Performance of the Night: Ovince St. Preux

Fight of the Night: Johny Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler

Attendance: 19,324

Gate: $2.6 million

Buyrate: 300,000

Cancelled Bouts:

Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira - Bout Moved to Another Event

Julianna Pena vs. Jéssica Andrade - Injuries to Pena (Torn ACL, MCL, LCL, and Meniscus)

Thiago Silva vs. Ovince St. Preux - Silva Released From Contract

Darrell Montague vs. Will Campuzano - Injury to Montague

Robert McDaniel vs. Tor Troeng - Injury to Troeng (Shoulder)

Guest Edwin

Main card is a lot better than some of the other ones we've had this year with the exception of Shields/Lombard which should be the usual Shields snoozer if Lombard can't blitz KO him early in the first round.

Diego is a big step up in competition for Jury. I think Jury takes it either way and should bump him into the top 10 with a win.

Condit's the favorite, but I wouldn't count T-Wood out. He's got the wrestling to grind out a decision over Condit. Either way I'm still guessing we'll see Condit bounce T-Wood had off the cage similarly to how Marquardt bounced his head off the cage in Strikeforce.

Hendricks takes the welterweight title.

Also Gastelum/Story, Bermudez/Hettes and Campuzano/Scoggins sound like decent undercard fights.

I just updated the Machida vs. Munoz thread with the rating and noticed that it did 122k. At this point, wouldn't there be more eyeballs if the last four prelims were on Fight Pass and not FS2? I know there may be a little bump in terms of fighter sponsorship but it can't be that much more (if any).

Wonder why they couldn't get the prelims on FS1.  Does it have to do with how many fights they can allocate on FS1 or does FS1 have some big programming at that time.

College basketball Big East finals.

• Like 1

I don't know how many people are going to interrupt their early evening plans for a Kelvin Gastelum fight. 

Especially when he's fighting Rick Story.  I love me some Ruthless Robbie Lawler, but he is going to get KTFO by Hendricks in the attempt to land a big shot of his own.  Hendrick's iron chin and granite head will weather the storm in a slugfest.

Guest Edwin

Especially when he's fighting Rick Story.

Ironically enough, he's one of the 2 guys who actually has win over the favorite in the upcoming WW title fight.

I know, I know...

I don't know how many people are going to interrupt their early evening plans for a Kelvin Gastelum fight. 

Especially when he's fighting Rick Story.  I love me some Ruthless Robbie Lawler, but he is going to get KTFO by Hendricks in the attempt to land a big shot of his own.  Hendrick's iron chin and granite head will weather the storm in a slugfest.

Even though Steven Wright has helped him out a bunch in terms of technique, Hendricks can still get a bit wild here and there. That's what makes this fight very interesting.

• Like 1

My biggest concern is that Johny fucks around too much and leaves his chin out there. He took some hard shots from GSP that sort of annoyed him more than anything. Lawler hits significantly harder, though.