DVDVR Message Board

Countdown to ALIENS (Cameron, 1986)

Jingus

Rippa seems a little burned on on doing these, so I figured I might as well provide my own.  

The movie mostly works better if you watch it at night... mostly.  

And for noobz, the Special Edition aka Director's Cut is strongly held to be the superior version; however, it does stick back in one terrible scene which should've stayed deleted, so you might wanna hit the skip-chapter-forward button just one time when you come to an early scene which starts with a big sign that says "Hadley's Hope" in the middle of a rainstorm.  

Also for noobs, this is indeed a sequel.  You don't really HAVE to have watched the first movie Alien, as this film does a quick but highly efficient job of summing up the events of that one.  I'd never seen it when I first saw Aliens, and part 2 still makes perfect sense as a standalone movie (although a few character moments do carry far less resonance if you don't know the backstory).  But still, if for some damn'd silly reason you haven't watched Alien, then fix that, cuz it's awesome too (although Aliens is, to my mind, the better film for a variety of reasons).  

Inkjava-Cartoon-Style-Movie-Posters-Alie

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (98% critics, 94% audience)

WIKI

UPCOMING SELECTIONS
MARCH 24, 2014: ZODIAC (Fincher, 2007) - NINERS
MARCH 31, 2014: IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD (1963, Kramer) - ODESSA
APRIL 7, 2014: EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH (Rouse, 2004) - LACELLE
APRIL 14, 2014: WAKE IN FRIGHT (Kotcheff, 1971) - CONTROL

• Like 1

EDIT:  Wow, did that just refuse to format right for some reason.

But still, if for some damn'd silly reason you haven't watched Alien, then fix that, cuz it's awesome too (although Aliens is, to my mind, the better film for a variety of reasons).

You poor misguided psychopath.

But still, if for some damn'd silly reason you haven't watched Alien, then fix that, cuz it's awesome too (although Aliens is, to my mind, the better film for a variety of reasons).

Yeah, Alien Resurrection is totally the best of the 4.

Sorry, I wanted some cool non-standard poster that we hadn't all seen a thousand times.  That one seemed the best of the bunch.  

We'll talk about it in the thread.  I freaking love Alien, it's one of the greatest horror/scifi/thriller/whatever films I've ever seen.  Probably has a permanent spot in my top 20.  But... Aliens is better.  It might be my favorite movie ever.  And in the real thread, I shall discuss why AT LENGTH.  

Yeah, Alien Resurrection is totally the best of the 4.

And if thou doest not eat thy words, kind sir, we shall duel in the proper thread.  

What's funny was that I was standing in the library yesterday afternoon and I suddenly realized "Fuck - I have to do the Countdown thread!"

Of course - I think I remembered because they had Paul back in and I was debating whether I wanted to rewatch that or keep looking for 50s movies I wanted to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool. How about we get ZODIAC up (Niners?), and push MADx4 WORLD to April 21st?

I basically inserted a bye week - and planned on posting Zodiac today just my internet is being a silly goose