DVDVR Message Board

Your 2014 Ominbus Non-Festival Concert Thread

Chaos

I figured this would be a great thread for us to talk about different shows we are going to see. My concert schedule this year is looking pretty light. I just bought my first pair of tickets for the year and will see Ray LaMontagne in July.

Feel free to share thoughts, experiences, photos, etc. of your random show going experiences.

I hope to add a few before the end of the year myself.

I live in a musical wasteland luckily surrounded by 3 decent sized cities so spring and summer usually involves a lot of bus trips and hostel stays. I'm kicking the season off with Fifth Harmony and Cut Copy next week which seems to be a bit of a mismatch but they just happened to be in Buffalo on back to back nights. Plus it just seems hard to see a lot of pop acts without going to a stadium or some outdoor radio station promoted event.

• 2 months later...

Wonder if I can revive this thread at all...

Living in Austin, there's always something I *could* go see, but age and budget are definitely limits to this. I'm also not nearly as vested in the local music scene as I once was, also due in part to age and budget.

Right now, shows I would like to see in the next couple of weeks include Red Fang, Big Business, and American Sharks tonight, Floor and Parquet Courts (separate parts of same venue, with separate tickets) next Thursday, and Protomartyr next Friday. Unfortunately, I can only afford to go to one, so it'll be Protomartyr as I haven't seen them before and heard a lot of good things about them at/after SXSW.

Last month I saw The Men (who are my favorite current band) and Cloud Nothings. The Men were great as always, very drony and noisy and did a 40 minute set that felt like 20 and left me wanting more. Cloud Nothings are now very popular with the college set, so I stood back and let them have their fun.

Only show I have plans to go see this summer so far is Queensryche (being supported by Great White, of all bands.)

I was shocked how much I dug their new album last year, with Todd La Torre replacing Tate.

• 1 month later...

just got back from a show. Gilby Clarke (of G'N'R fame), Bullet Boys, Faster Pussycat, and Quiet Riot.

oh man, what a good time.

Clarke's set, although short, was a lot of fun. he played "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" but stayed away from Guns, which i think worked in his favor. he had good crowd support for being the opener.

Bullet Boys were there. the crowd was hyped for "Smooth Up In Ya" but wasn't really invested in anything else.

Faster Pussycat was awesome. high energy, good playing, great crowd interaction. it was definitely my highlight.

Quiet Riot was fun too. had a long stretch where i didn't recognize many songs, but kept the energy up and their closing bit was fantastic.

i was feeling really good about this, but thanks to Fowler's post i now want to see Great White. thanks a lot!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, just got home from Monster Truck/Buckcherry/Alice in Chains.

Buckcherry did a nice job on the two songs by them I actually know, and were nice and solid.  I know nothing about Monster Truck, but they were perfectly fine.

AiC were...  Holy fucking shit great.  So fucking great I decided to remember William DuVall's name and not just refer to him as "the new guy that replaced Layne."  I've been to quite a few rock concerts, and I have never seen a single song get a better, or more electric performance than they gave Man in the Box tonight.  Literally, the best live performance of a single song I've ever seen/heard.  Rooster was almost as good.  But...

THOSE MOTHERFUCKING ASSHOLES DIDN'T PLAY HEAVEN BESIDE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got my ticket for Bob Mould on 9/20. He's one of those people who comes through Austin so frequently that my continued inability to attend one of his shows felt like a cruel cosmic prank. So assuming nothing appalling happens in the next 19 days, I am pretty excited.

I keep forgetting about that show. September in Austin also has Merchandise/Lower and Earthless, off the top of my head.

Is it just me, or is there something deeply incongruous about a group called Perfect Pussy playing at a church?

I'm gonna guess JR's talking about First Unitarian in downtown Philadelphia.  That place is actually an incredible music venue, with the added bonus of out-of-towners' confused reactions to hearing about bands with vulgar names performing there.

• 2 weeks later...

Swans are very loud.

Like... you have no way of understanding until you're there.

Those parts on their new records where there's a long time between individual chord hits? When they do that in front of you, it feels like a force pushing you backwards. It exists.

Carla Bozulich was great too but I'm like sort of obsessed with her? So maybe that judgment isn't exactly on point.

• 1 month later...

Swans are very loud.

Those parts on their new records where there's a long time between individual chord hits? When they do that in front of you, it feels like a force pushing you backwards. It exists.

Carla Bozulich was great too but I'm like sort of obsessed with her? So maybe that judgment isn't exactly on point.

Swans drowned out any stage within earshot during their 2013 visit to Bonnaroo. And those stages are a mile away from each other, if not more.

Swans are very loud.

Swans drowned out any stage within earshot during their 2013 visit to Bonnaroo. And those stages are a mile away from each other, if not more.

I really don't remember being able to hear them. The one that drowned out everything for me was R. Kelly's Late Night set. You couldn't escape it regardless of where you were. Our camp that year was over by "The Other Tent" entrance to Centerroo, and I could have just sat at my camp and listened to that all night. Thankfully, after I took my fiance back to the tent, I was able to experience the magic that was Superjam. 

So about 9 years ago, I fell in love for a while with a synth-pop duo called Iris that one of my internet friends was really into. They were fixtures of the Austin scene in the early aughts, but had long since broken up by the time I moved here (and I had kind of outgrown them anyway, I thought).  Early this year they reunited for a new album, and I finally got to see them tonight. It was a weird cross between being the interloper in a crowd of people the band knew on sight because they'd been at every show for years, years ago combined with the crazy elation of getting to see performers who had meant a LOT to me during my grad school and unemployed-internet-hermit years even though I hadn't really followed them in ages. I'm pretty sure I had a Joker grin through the entire set, and the keyboard-free version of "Appetite" with just a very basic guitar line and the entire club singing along is going to go down as one of my all-time defining live music moments.  It's funny how the shit you think you've left behind comes back to grab you sometimes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...