DVDVR Message Board

DIRTSHEETZ~! THREAD

RIPPA

Poor Al Isaacs, nobody remembers him to even mock him.

My go-to sites back then (which is funny to look back and laugh upon) were Al Isaacs' Scoops!, Mike Samuda's Micasa and Peter Sciretta's Slammer.

Shit, what was the name of the email newsletter I wrote RAW and Nitro reports for?  God I have no clue, but I did it for, like, 3 months, and then one week I sent my reviews in, the newsletter came to my inbox, and had reviews by someone else.  Then the next week they got mad at me for not sending in a Nitro review.

Whatever happened to Declaration of Independents? I seem to remember really having it in for ROH for reasons I could never quite work out.

RF was buds with the owner so ROH was evil and Gabe had FULL BLOWN AIDS.

I just remember Sean Shannon for Corino challenging him to take a bump and he claiming to have a disease that I don't think was ever brought up again.

Sean claimed some sort of bone or vertebrae deficiency if I remember correctly. I hate myself for the fact that I probably AM remembering that correctly.
 Spina bifida, IIRC.

I did a search for that and it was acute spina bifida. Does it feel like I am piling in if I point out that the page where I found that includes the following?

Anyway, WCW debuted the whole Three Count gimmick, and brought in Shane Helms and Shannon Moore for it. The thing was, though, they only referred to the two by their first names, and always in the order, “Shane and Shannon.” Of course, this was back when I was only really aware of the “big three” and I had no idea that those were their real names, and I read everything into this whole Shane/Shannon thing being some kind of secret dig on me.

That alone would have been bad enough; as it was, I got so worked up over the whole thing that I actually started self-injuring again after avoiding that whole scene for years.

If this is going to descend into "Hey, remember that guy who used to write about wrestling on the internet", then I got two words for you: Herb Kunze.

Is that the guy that used to do PPV recaps based on $ value of the matches? To see if he got his money's worth at the end. Was an interesting way to it.

Edit: actually that should be an easy question to find the answer. They use to get posted in the moderated RSPW as well. Probably only 100 posts there total in the last 10 years.

That was Otto "Hack-Man" Heuer.

I love GH & Joe! And miss them OHHH so much. They wrote a multi part Revenge of the Nerds parody starring Bryan and Dave that was hilarious.

The multimedia add-on (in RealAudio 8!) of Tajiri delivering kicks to the tune of the Japanese version of "Daisy, Daisy" still kills me to this day.  

• Like 1

Was Dave Scherer and Bob Ryder's site 1wrestling.com? I know I used to battle the popups there as a lad.

I think there was some sort of schism there and Dave left to form PWinsider.

I found reading Herb's tidbits a year or two ago pretty fascinating. Just reading a really smarky guy dealing with the Hoganization of WCW and how far we are from his views now. I figure that guy had to be ravaged in the 00s by Eddy/Benoit/Misawa/etc. 

Whatever happened to Rick Scacia/OnlineOnslaught and Mike Samuda/MiCasa?  I remember that along with CRZ, they seemed the saner/more amiable members of the Wrestlemaniacs crew and I recall that I always enjoyed their stuff (admittedly now thirteen or fourteen years removed).

Online Onslaught still exists - http://oowrestling.com/.  Scaia settled over there after the death of Wrestlemaniacs, sorta like how CRZ settled over at the - http://the-w.com/.

Samuda got out of the scene to do the law school bit but...well, it appears he had some issues after that.  

Whatever happened to Rick Scacia/OnlineOnslaught and Mike Samuda/MiCasa?  I remember that along with CRZ, they seemed the saner/more amiable members of the Wrestlemaniacs crew and I recall that I always enjoyed their stuff (admittedly now thirteen or fourteen years removed).

Online Onslaught still exists - http://oowrestling.com/.  Scaia settled over there after the death of Wrestlemaniacs, sorta like how CRZ settled over at the - http://the-w.com/.

Samuda got out of the scene to do the law school bit but...well, it appears he had some issues after that.

Oh, Wrestlemaniacs.

I never did get paid for that. :(

I actually had no idea 1wrestling.com still existed until Apter told me at the first WrestleReunion in LA a couple of years ago.

HAH.  It does?  I would check it out but Lord knows I am not chancing getting killed by 9000 pop-ups.

Yeah, this is all making Rippa and I far too sad thinking of all the wasted time in the late 90's spent at RSPW and shady wrestling sites.

I am getting hives thinking back at all this.

Scott Keith name dropping me in a review is the 2nd most horrific internet recognition thing that has happened to me thanks to this site

• Like 3

I actually had no idea 1wrestling.com still existed until Apter told me at the first WrestleReunion in LA a couple of years ago.

HAH.  It does?  I would check it out but Lord knows I am not chancing getting killed by 9000 pop-ups.

I believe they don't have pop-ups. At least, they didn't show up when I visited it. I don't visit the site frequently, but its still around.

OK, I'll bite.  What was first?

Showing up at Baseball Primer (now Baseball Think Factory) and someone going "Are you Phil Rippa from DVDVR?"

Honorable mention also goes to the horrible DVDVR wiki page

• Like 1

Man a lot of stuff in this thread brings me back.  I first got online regularly in high school around 96-97 and lots of these wrestling sites were the first ones I would visit.  Going off of links from rspw brought me to a lot of these and I'd often print stuff out from there to take to school and show my dumbfounded friends (I remember one about wrestlers real names being a big hit for some reason).

I subscribed to John Petrie's Monday night recaps from Slobberknocker Central until he stopped with them.  He was less self-aggrandizing and stuck to just giving the shows a review than Hayatte and definitely less than CRZ.  I think I may have some of them saved on some disks in a box somewhere.  I read the mopups sometimes as well, especially if I had some time to kill or computer lab was boring that day.  Didn't CRZ have a reputation as being a bigtime creep online?

• Like 1

Is Bryan Alvarez always an annoying "I'm right about everything and everyone else is wrong" d-bag, or does he have his moments? This is on the podcast mind you, I've been giving it a try the last few days, and man, he strikes me as someone who I'd never want to sit in a room and talk wrestling with.

• Like 2