DVDVR Message Board

DIRTSHEETZ~! THREAD

RIPPA

There is no "may have".. Did people buy Starrcade '97 to watch Goldberg vs. Mongo? I would hope not.

Kerry Von Erich drew in Texas. Sting drew a nation. I'd say there's a little difference.

For an entirety of 1 show.

There is no "may have".. Did people buy Starrcade '97 to watch Goldberg vs. Mongo? I would hope not.

Kerry Von Erich drew in Texas. Sting drew a nation. I'd say there's a little difference.

Sting also drew the largest buyrate in his company's history and one of the largest in wrestling history. 

I'm not sure what else you guys want when it comes to Sting. Do you guys want us to time travel to the late 90s to ask people why they're attending WCW shows? Watch any WCW PPV and scan the crowd, the guy also moved merch. He IS tremendously over despite being in some of the worst booked promotions in wrestling history (WCW and TNA). Sting is an example of a guy who can overcome bad booking and STILL be massively over.

Sting was never really put into a promotion where the booking around him was solid enough to draw.

Oh well then. 

You can't let a guy in the hall of fame based on what you think would have happened if something or other had been different.  Somebody in this thread even said that Sting would be in the HOF if he'd gone to the WWF.  Wow.  Just...wow.  That's the argument to make?  Why don't we just go ahead and say Barry Darsow should be in because I really feel like he would have been awesome and a huge draw if somebody would have just booked him as a top guy?

These arguments are ridiculous and pointless because they're pure speculation and can't be proven either way.

• Like 1

If one hot PPV is enough, than everybody on Team WCW from the Invasion PPV should be in. 

I love the goalpost moving in the argument about Sting being a Hall of Famer:

He needs to have been a draw.

Well he was in 97, he was *the* draw vs. the nWo.  

Well, uh, he needed to draw longer.

Course, in the end, we're arguing about why a dirtsheet writer that leads conversations should allow someone into his personal HoF, so the arguement in its base form is fucking stupid.

People are also forgetting the TV ratings from 96-97 and everything else that came before Starrcade 1997.

And yes, Sting was a good draw given his circumstances. He was in a company that was largely regional AND run by complete morons. Despite this however, he still made enough people care about him so that the match with Hogan at Starrcade 97 meant something.

People point to the one show argument but he was the focal point of television for 15 months leading up to that. Watch the Nitros from September 1996 to December 1997 again (on the WWE Network for just $9.99 per month) and see how many times "WHETHER STING?" is treated like the most important thing in the promotion.

Is there anyone else who's first- or second-biggest angle in their career hinged on them not wrestling, but being on TV numerous weeks? Sting's impact on business for that time is so hard to quantify precisely because it's hard to know how much of it was him and how much of it was just the nWo. 

Watching that stuff then and now, my only focus was "When is Sting showing up and wrecking up the place?" As someone mentioned, Uncensored '97 is amazing and I think is genuinely one of the best segments in U.S. wrestling history just because of how unglued the place came when Sting finally started beating everyone down. In my mind, it is really hard to say that the nWo angle would have been nearly as good with anyone else in his position. Even Flair, who was also viewed as WCW through and through, just couldn't have possibly filled the role of lurking in the background and intending to put things right in any capacity near Sting, IMO. At the same time, the nWo would have still been pretty hot. 

Basically, without Sting getting significant credit for 1996/1997, I don't see how you can put him in the HOF based on the criteria because, as many great matches as he had, he doesn't have volume on his side to make up for 1991-1993 WCW being a dysfunctional company that put him in a terrible position to draw, thus killing the argument that he could carry the gate. 

• Like 2

That would have been pretty awesome.  Better than Luger, that black hole of charisma.  This was pre Vince going nuts with trademarks, too, so he probably would have kept his name and look. 

Has Sting or anyone in his circle ever explained why he never jumped?  I sort of think I remember hearing that he was just comfortable with the company that gave him his break but I could be wrong.

That would have been pretty awesome.  Better than Luger, that black hole of charisma.  This was pre Vince going nuts with trademarks, too, so he probably would have kept his name and look. 

Has Sting or anyone in his circle ever explained why he never jumped?  I sort of think I remember hearing that he was just comfortable with the company that gave him his break but I could be wrong.

I don't know why but Steve Borden seems as dumb as his character when it comes to pledging loyalty. What person in their right mind pledges loyalty to WCW AND TNA? 

• Like 1

Sting has a good case as a draw. Really good, given that he's been a main eventer for almost his entire career. In looking at the Gordy List for the first time in a while, I was surprised that Sting has good answers to a lot of the questions re: status/popularity. But in the other big factors (athleticism, match quality, historical significance, crossover appeal, innovation, influence, all of which I rate higher than main eventing), he's sorely lacking. You could argue that a twenty-five year career is the same thing as “longevity”, but he only had about 4-6 nonconsecutive years as a badass, with a ton of mediocrity before/during/after. So did Sgt. Slaughter. Sting was a bigger draw on a national/global level than Sarge, but in terms of talent, was he in any year of his career even a top 100 worker? At any given moment in his WCW run, there were at least 20 dudes in the company more talented than him. His best matches are with 1988 Ric Flair, 1992 Mick Foley, and 1992/1993 Vader, and of those only the Vader matches are truly great.

Look at who he was up against in the US category alone. I'd pick JYD, Lesnar, Koloff, Murdoch, the R&Rs, and Slaughter before I picked Sting.

There are people in the HOF who have a worse case than Sting. Ultimo Dragon, Jericho, Chono, Kensuke Sasaki. The guys who we always point to as flaws. They each got in for different reasons: Meltzer loves Jericho and thinks his '07-08 run to be brilliant, credits Ultimo for inventing things he didn't invent, deems Sasaki the last “epic” Japanese worker of the old guard, etc. None of them being in makes Sting's case any stronger. Meltzer has no such talking point for Sting. The talking point for Sting seems to be “Starrcade '97”.

Was he was a great wrestler? Did he make an indispensible contribution? I'd say no. At times a great draw, with a lot of charisma. Currently having his biggest moment since '97. But he's just not a good enough worker.

The WWE hall of fame has much more credibility. You look at who has been inducted and it really is a "who's who" of professional wrestling. They've gotten around to inducting dudes who performed elsewhere also. Plus, people will complain about Koko being inducted and other "career midcarders" but I'm sorry. The average wrestling fan knows who these guys are. A midcarder in WWF in the 80's is going to be more popular than someone from a hole in the wall territory. It's just the way it is.

Ask yourself this. Why did Sting receive a monster ovation in St. Louis the other night? It's been 13 years since anyone has seen him. Yes, his TNA run but we know that the average person doesn't even know what TNA is. If he came out to crickets, it'd make sense to say that he has made no lasting impact on the business. I would have said "wow, I guess people really don't know who Sting is" but that's obviously not the case.

Again, he was the biggest star on the babyface side when WCW was at its peak. That's why people still remember him and popped when they saw him in a WWE ring. Questioning his overall popularity or historical significance is nonsense.

Questioning his ring work is also insane. He had a ton of great matches up until 1996 with a variety of opponents.

• Like 2

On the Sting "not being a draw when he was on top" argument circa 90-92 I posit that NOBODY was going to be a big draw or turn WCW's business around at that point.  Wrestling as a whole was on a rapid downswing and WCW was horribly mismanaged at that point with constant management/booking changes that sent their business into the toilet.  WCW in 1990 with Ole Anderson booking and the Turner Entertainment spin on it was TERRIBLE and was actively turning away their fanbase, and that didn't have anything to do with Sting.  Then there was the Jim Herd era in 91.  This is the time period where even the almighty Hulk Hogan is starting to tank as a draw and fans are turning away in droves. 

I've always found the "Sting flopped on top" argument really disingenuous when looked at in context.  A while back I looked at the #'s for PPVs and big house shows he was headlining in that era vs. ones he wasn't and he stood out as the best draw in the company at the time.  I also know he was their best merch mover.  Lately Meltzer has taken a revisionist standpoint on Michaels as a draw on top in context whereas for years he said he was a flop on top.  I'd like to see him really analyze the numbers in context and do the same with Sting, but he probably won't, because in his eyes Michaels was a great worker and Sting wasn't, and he has an inherent bias towards work

• Like 1