DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 22: ELGIN vs. REGAL

MICHAEL ELGIN vs. WILLIAM REGAL  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Quantity? Quality? Both? Neither?

With how big a blowout this is, I have to defend why I voted Elgin:

As said in it, quantity was why I said it. William Regal's matches were all great- but for most of the year he was a color commentator. Elgin was lower, but his body of work as a whole made up for it. 

Regal's matches were great- but I just can't justify someone who is basically a color commentator, no matter how good in the role they are, advancing.

Michael Elgin might be my least favorite Indy name right now. Every match that he ends up getting pimped in I find boring and contrived. I think he is just as guilty of being a "get all my spots in" worker as Davey and some of the others, but Elgin gets away with it a little more because his spots are strength spots and not flips.

I actually like Elgin quite a bit. I remember watching the Davey/Elgin match after all the praise it received and I came away impressed with Elgin... Since then I've watched quite a few more matches of his and he always does some cool spots..  he has potential. However, this is Regal. He got a shit draw. There are many wrestlers in this that I probably would have voted Elgin over.

I can't vote for someone who has 2-3 matches a year, no matter how good he is.

Would you vote for Larry Z because of his excellent matches with Regal when that was all he wrestled?

(admittedly I'm higher on Larry Z than much of the board)

• Like 1

I voted for Regal because he's Regal.  Also, his hair isn't as stupid as Elgin's.  Plus there isn't like a zillion massive power moves that are kicked out of in his matches.  I mean, if you're Michael Elgin and you're doing all these power moves and guys are still kicking out, maybe you should switch it up and become a high-flyer or something.