DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 37: Gustafsson vs. Manuwa (3/8/2014) - London, England, United Kingdom (The O2 Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_37_Gustafsson_vs_Manuwa_

UFC Fight Night 37: Gustafsson vs. Manuwa

March 8, 2014

London, England, United Kingdom (The O2 Arena)

Alexander Gustafsson (204) vs. Jimi Manuwa (205) - Gustafsson, TKO (punches), R2 (1:18)

Michael Johnson (155) vs. Melvin Guillard (156) - Johnson, DEC (unanimous)

Brad Pickett (125) vs. Neil Seery (125) - Pickett, DEC (unanimous)

Gunnar Nelson (170) vs. Omari Akhmedov (170) - Nelson, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (4:36)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Cyrille Diabaté (205) vs. Ilir Latifi (205) - Latifi, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (3:02)

Luke Barnatt (186) vs. Mats Nilsson (184) - Barnatt, TKO (strikes), R1 (4:24)

Brad Scott (186) vs. Cláudio Henrique da Silva (185) - Silva, DEC (unanimous)

Igor Araújo (171) vs. Danny Mitchell (170) - Araújo, DEC (unanimous)

Phil Harris (125) vs. Louis Gaudinot (126) - NC (Gaudinot Tested Positive For Diuretics)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Gunnar Nelson

Performance of the Night: Alexander Gustafsson

Fight of the Night: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Jimi Manuwa

Attendance: 14,604

Gate: $2,000,056

Cancelled Bouts:

Alexander Gustafsson vs. Antônio Rogério Nogueira - Injury to Nogueira (Back)

Melvin Guillard vs. Ross Pearson - Injury to Pearson (Knee)

Brad Pickett vs. Ian McCall - Injury to McCall (Torn Groin and Hip)

Davey Grant vs. Roland Delorme  - Injury to Grant (Torn Mensicus)

-

Still can't believe this on Fightpass in the US... I mean it's a shit card, but the main event will have significant relevance to the standings of the LHW division so it would be nice to have it on FS1.

Guest Edwin

Sucks McCall is out of the fight with Pickett. I was really looking forward to that.

Harris/Gaudinot and the co and main event should be good fights though.

This is on Channel 5 and BT Sport 2 in the UK. Not on any TV channels in America, but on two in Britain? Wierd.

I think they're using Gustaffson to get everyone to buy Fight Pass. Presumably they're thinking that they've got enough fans that are so hardcore into the Sport that they can't be overexposed to it.

It's just insane to me.  Unless they dwindle down the shows they put on TV there is zero incentive for me to buy fightpass.  Here's a glance at 2013:

December-  2 TV,1 PPV

November-  3 TV,1 PPV

October-     2 TV,1 PPV

September  1 TV,1 PPV

August-       2 TV,2 PPV

July-            1 TV,1 PPV

June-          1 TV,1 PPV

May-           1 TV,1 PPV

April-          3 TV,1 PPV

March-        1 TV,1 PPV

February-   1 TV,2 PPV

January-     2 TV

Pretty much every month there's going to be a PPV and a TV event at a minimum.  Why do I need fight pass?

From all accounts Fight Pass is terrible. If it was like the WWE Network and included EVERYTHING (live PPV's, live Fight Nights, all past events, etc...) I'd probably drop $20-25 a month on it. But $10 a month for terrible prelims that used to be free and the foreign cards that "might" have one or two fights worth watching... nope. No way.

$10 is like 2 meals from McDonalds. You're paying that for a whole bunch of content when other people spent more than that for a single event DVD (not from eBay of course). If it was over $25, then I could see the whining and complaining.

• Like 2

Guest Edwin

Foreign FN cards are usually better than PPV's. Free TV cards in general usually are better than PPV's and not only because they're free.

So far the 2 foreign FN cards have been the best UFC cards this year.

Also, when you overlook this card, the main card really isn't bad.

Gunnar/Akhmedov is a decent scrap. Good chance we get to see either Gunnar choke out Akhmedov or Akhmedov knock Gunnar out brutally.

Pickett's never in a boring fight.

MJ/Guillard should be a fun scrap and is probably ending with a brutal KO.

Gus/Manuwa is a somewhat important light heavyweight fight.

The prelims have some decent fights too; Harris/Gaudinot, Davey/Delorme and it's always fun watching Barnatt fight.

$10 is like 2 meals from McDonalds. You're paying that for a whole bunch of content when other people spent more than that for a single event DVD (not from eBay of course). If it was over $25, then I could see the whining and complaining.

$10 is $10.  I'm not saying it's not worth it for some people but for a lot of people it's not and it's mainly because of the amount of content they already flood the market with on a monthly basis.  If you get the most out of the content they provide then obviously it's a good deal.  

Foreign FN cards are usually better than PPV's. Free TV cards in general usually are better than PPV's and not only because they're free.

No.  Some foreign FN cards have been better than some PPV's, and this is mainly under the current model of running a shit ton of shows every year which degrades the quality of each show.  

$10 is $10.  I'm not saying it's not worth it for some people but for a lot of people it's not and it's mainly because of the amount of content they already flood the market with on a monthly basis.  If you get the most out of the content they provide then obviously it's a good deal.  

Yeah, ten bucks is ten bucks. $10 is breakfast and lunch for one day. You're spending that for ONE MONTH. That's THIRTY-THREE CENTS A DAY. Don't make me go into Sally Struthers mode.

Unless you live in a bunkhouse w/ no cable, you can afford that just for the fight archive alone. Unfinished or not. 

• Like 1

I think what bothers most people is that they now have to pay for what was essentially free before.

If you pay a cable bill, it ain't free bro. Before that, you had to track it down like a crackhead looking for something to pawn to get more rock.

• Like 1

That is why I said "essentially" free.  Yeah, you are paying a cable bill, but you weren't paying the UFC anything to watch prelims or overseas cards.

You are still PAYING. There is no cable bill below ten dollars. If there is, someone needs to hook me up.

There are several channels most likely on your package you do not watch. You might as well pay ten bucks for something you will watch.

I think there are some people that don't realize a chunk of America is on a tight budget, for one reason or another.  I make decent money now, but in the last year I cut my cable, cancelled Netflix (only 8 dollars a month!), and cut my cell phone bill from $70 to $30 a month.  Which saved me about $108 dollars a month.  You know, old debts to pay off.  I sure don't have 'only 10 dollars' to spend on the UFC Channel, that would be counter-productive.  That is how people get in trouble, add up 20 different things that are 'just ten dollars' and suddenly you got a big 'ol bill.  It is great if $10 a month is nothing to you, I can send you my paypal if you'd like..... every dollar counts :)

A chunk of America isn't MMA fans though. I know people living on shoestring budgets who still find a way to get the NFL Sunday Ticket and/or NBA League Pass. Even though those sports are much bigger, we're still talking about something seasonal. Keep in mind, I live in (last time I checked) the third least expensive state but with the second highest unemployment rate. MMA, from the get go, was a very expensive sport to follow if you were into tape trading and buying DVDs along with paying for internet to keep up with it. Luckily for me, I was in college when the sport started turning around.

However, the range of people that would fit into that "chunk" most likely wouldn't be MMA fans to begin with. If you're cutting down to the bare essentials, you wouldn't be watching FX or Versus or in some cases Spike. You had fight content on all those channels when the economy was truly in the toilet. You definitely wouldn't have Showtime to watch EliteXC and Strikeforce. If anything, Fight Pass would be a blessing. I assume if you're not watching those channels and FS1, you're on the streams. So if you are on the streams and they crap out, you wouldn't have to go very far to LEGALLY watch the stuff you missed (better quality than 90 percent of the illegal streams too). 

One thing also worth noting - the Fight Pass exclusive cards are ones that simply would not have existed without Fight Pass. Today's card is already the eighth of 2014 - last year, the eighth card of the year was held in April. The Jones-Glover PPV in April is the 14th show of the year - the 14th show of 2013 was in June.

In some ways, these live cards are also replacing the Fuel shows that no one got (because Comcast and the other major providers still haven't added Fuel, even after it's rebrand). They threw some pretty good fights on Fuel last year too, except there was really no way to watch it afterwards. At least now you have an option. If $10 a month is too big a deal for you to afford, that's cool too, just watch next week PPV at a bar and Shogun-Hendo II on FS1. Over the next two months, there are only two shows there are Fight Pass exclusives... it's not as if you're missing tons of content by not paying your $10 per month.

• Like 1

It's not too much to afford. For me it's just the fact that they already supply me with enough mma, really more than I can keep up with. And the fact that they're adding events only cements my opinion that it degrades the quality of each card.

• Like 1

Fight Pass really isn't targeted to that specific set of fans, though. There is a nucleus of UFC fans who will pay to see the extra content and warrant having it be an option in the first place. There is also a demo of fans who only catch the PPVs and maybe a Fight Night/Fox show live periodically. Even though Fight Pass isn't for the latter, the option is still open and more than reasonably affordable. 

• Like 1