DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

Ugh... so much slush and ice. Got a nice light show this morning from the trains on the Hell Gate Viaduct shooting by with all the ice on the wires, so there was that.

Freezing rain by my house caused be to be cracking off ice this morning.  Being above freezing and all this shit having no where to go caused me to have to ford the NJ Turnpike like I'm living Oregon Trail to get to work this morning, and the inability for the cities of Nutley and Clifton to plow a fucking road gave me an offroading experience.

My morning travel is complete.

Sleet in New York always means the most disgusting slush you've ever seen in your life on every street corner and the most gigantic gray puddles of absolute unknown depth everywhere.   

The fact that I'm at work in sweatpants because I fell in thigh deep slush is testament to this.  

I hate this. 

Crossing my fingers but it looks like might be on our way out of dealing with this winter weather.  The 10 day forecast on weather.com has today as the last ridiculously cold day for a while, tomorrow the high will get up to 37, then thursday will be in the 40's through the weekend then into the 50's by early next week.  It probably won't be short weather until late March at best but looks like might be past the worst of the weather.

This shit seriously sucks.

The greater Philly area had a sort of mini-Sandy here. It wasn't anywhere near as crazy as what the New York area went through but 750,000 blackouts over a period of several days is insane. There weren't any gasoline shortages or, thankfully, deaths from the ice storm but it was still really bad.

Our house was fine. It was mostly the burbs that got crushed. But I'm super worried about the impending nor'easter coming tomorrow night. We loaded up on our emergency supplies last night AND also managed to find some rock salt miraculously.

But it still sucks. We live in the only part of the city with hills, and they're fairly steep. My street is really steep and feeds into a major road. There have been a few accidents the past few weeks since Philly's pretty bad with plowing the small roads. I essentially can't drive anywhere if the snow/ice is bad. I can work from home at my leisure which is nice but I can't really go anywhere without mass transit. And mass transit usually shuts down during the bad weather, too.

So I'm expecting to be stuck inside for the next 3-4 days. Sigh.

I was in Chadds Ford and Wilmington on Saturday. There were still traffic lights out. I stopped to get gas and the place was closed and the sign said "closed for the weather."

I think they are hedging their bets with the "possibility of 5+ inches" language.

I just hope the R train goes down. I've already been sick a bunch this year so I can't take a sick day. But if I can get out of schlepping into Midtown for work tomorrow, that would be super great.

Our road salt shortage is going to make Thursday morning's commute absolute hell.  

This is how we'll need to get into the subway:

tumblr_ml10rlcG2A1rxagu2o1_500.gif

I always joke about how I'm gonna move to San Diego because the weather sucks... but I'm actually gonna try to do it. The older I get (I'm only 26, but still), the less I tolerate the cold/snow and the heat. Sunny and 75 virtually everyday of the year? Sign me up.

• Like 1

Craziness in Philly!

We just had thunderstorms come through. It didn't seem too bad. But at about 10:30, I saw a lightning bolt hit what looked like a block or two from my house. This was followed a second later by 30-45 seconds of the loudest thunder I've ever heard in my life. My house shook and my dog bugged out.

I went on Facebook to check to see if anyone else heard it. Apparently, the whole city did. It's actually the lead story right now on one of our news stations. People downtown (like five miles or so from where I'm at) said their buildings were shaking and they thought it was an earthquake. Craziness.

Apparently, lightning took out a transformer a few blocks from my house and a bunch of traffic lights are out. Someone over there said the thunder blew her windows out! Someone else said their stove and kitchen island slid from the thunder. ADD: Someone on my Facebook group said five houses had all of their windows blown out and all of the transformers, too.

The theory: The cold air causes increased density, which can amplify thunder. There is also no tree cover right now, which also increases the acoustic effects of thunder and deafens storms down in the spring and summer. Who knew?

It was legitimately frightening.