DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

• 4 weeks later...

So, in my town, there was a massive rainstorm for half an hour. Started at 1440, ended at 1510.

I walk to work, it takes 15 minutes. My shift starts at 3 pm.

So, yeah.

My tops of my boots are 9 inches off the ground. The flooded pavement was a foot deep.

I work standing up. Did the first four hours barefoot, and after that my socks had dried out enough to wear them. Didn't put my boots back on until I absolutely had to, six hours after I took them off. Still bloody soaking.

• 3 weeks later...

We are back to being super hot in Spokane.  100 degrees yesterday, 100 again today, 102 tomorrow and Saturday.  We've been ridiculously hot for 2 months straight with only brief days under 95 degrees.  We have had our two hottest days ever this year (end of June  - 113 and 109 degrees).  We also have had almost no rain since April.  Annnd, as has become an almost annual rite, we are mixing it with awful air quality because of wildfires.  Air quality today is 152 which basically means you shouldn't be outside for more than absolutely necessary. Even by our standards, this summer has been crazy.

Edit: Just found an article saying we got 0.5" of rain from March 20 to May 20.  And then another saying the rain we got on July 21 was our first in a month.  And THAT rain was hardly anything.  So we've basically had about an inch of rain in the last 5 months.

Edited by Tabe

• 2 weeks later...

We were spared from Henri as he wobbled East.   Looks like his little sister Ida isn't going to spare Louisiana.  

She's a very strong cat 4.  If any of you guys live in the area, take shelter and stay safe. 

Remnants of Ida hitting my area tonight.  Not expecting strong winds or anything, but a lot of rain.  4-8 inches in 24 hours, according to various forecasts.  We'll probably be on the upper end of that.  We rarely get those sorts of amounts, but we have had a few thunderstorms dump 4-6 inches in a couple hours this summer.  Expect there to be a lot of flooding in the area.

Kinda worried about flooding.  We don't live near a stream or river, but we occasionally have gotten water in the house during storms.  Most of the issues have long since been fixed, but we habitually get water in the garage during rains.  5-7 years ago, garage flooded and water got under a door into the house.  Hasn't happened since, but it sometimes becomes an issue we have to watch.  Suspect I'm not going to be sleeping much tonight.

Edited by Eoae

"Once in a lifetime" rainfall from Ida turned out to be a little underwhelming.  Got some light rain last night along with a couple heavier showers, then it stopped for six hours, then rained steadily for a couple hours this morning,  Might have gotten 2 inches total in my area.  Flooding was even minimal compared to several summer storms.  A couple spots locally flooded repeatedly this summer after not flooding since the 70's.

Fortunately, my region got spared.  They were predicting 7-8 inches of rain locally (with the caveat that rainfall might be heavier in some areas) and we got 2-3 spread out over a 15-hour period.  Most of it fell in a 3 hr. period in the morning.  There was some minor flooding mostly caused by the fact that we've had above-average rainfall since June, but nothing like the damage done by several of the worst summer storms.  

It's absolutely surreal to see your neighborhood being mentioned by name on CNN and ABC World Tonight and those shows. But the Philly area got creamed by Ida. 

I live in a neighborhood called Manayunk. (I'm fibbing a bit, but Manayunk literally starts across the street from me.) It's on a giant hill. I live at the top of the hill, thankfully. At the bottom of the hill is Main Street, which is a popular stretch of restaurants and shops and right on the river. It's a 10-15 minute walk from my house. I go down there all of the time. It floods there during any major storm but I have never seen anything like this. I walked down on Thursday after I finished up work and I was just stunned because the road was literally the river. People down there told me that by the time I got down there it was like 10% as bad as it was, and from the water lines I could see I believe it. The district got lucky in how the water flowed because some of the areas that can get flooding were somehow spared or just their basements were flooded. But a few businesses were swamped at the front level. I went into one parking lot behind the shops and there were literally fish in people's cars. I'm not kidding. I'll post the picture later of this car that got washed on top of another car. Somebody told me that from this like like 5-6 cars were completely swept away.

There's a firehouse down there and I asked a fireman what the night before was like. He was shellshocked. They rescued at least 100 people who live in the condos and apartment building that were somehow allowed to be built next to the river or, in one case, on an island in the river. 

Center City also got flooded, which never happens. One of the most important roads in the region was under 10 feet of water. Yet, still, the city is having the Made In America festival today right next to buildings they were pulling people out of the other night. I'm furious about that.

The suburbs also got hit horribly. My friend works for this non-profit that makes a lot of costumes and things like that. I just spent a few hours with some other folks cleaning out the storage space. They had about 20 years worth of things they built and worked on and it's pretty much all destroyed. Another friend of mine who lives in the burbs says it looks like the Wizard of Oz, since they had tornados. 

It has just been a really intense few days here. No damage to us thankfully, but this has been pretty terrible. 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sitting with my wife and cats in a small bathroom waiting to see if any of the tornadoes that’ve spun up around the Nashville area will decide to turn our way is no way to spend a Saturday morning. 

We may be past the worst of the tornado threat (I hope!), but it sure sounds like a hell of a storm out there.

Stay safe, any fellow Tennesseeans on the board!

Yeah...  it was.  As you may have heard almost 70 people have been confirmed killed by the series of tornados on Saturday night in Kentucky.  

And holy crap... the story of the factory with 100+ people in it that got directly hit just keeps getting worse and worse...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/factory-bosses-to-workers-before-tornado-if-you-leave-you-re-more-than-likely-to-be-fired/ar-AARMoHP?li=BBorjTa

• 3 weeks later...

It's the first Icemageddon here in the 804.  I hate it when it can't decide whether to rain or snow.  Slush is fucking everywhere.   

Post is closed but we're teleworking today and have to submit progress reports by 1500 so the era of the adult snow day is dead thanks to technology.  Fuck you, COVID.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Yesterday it was 60 and cloudy in the DMV.  Today it is freezing with about 5 inches of snow.   Just bat shit crazy

Yesterday it was in the upper 70's in SC. Today the wind clocks in at 35mph and the wind chill is in the 30's.