DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Oh dude Robert, I am so sorry. 

Thanks Jenn.  We're all right.  We don't live there yet, so at worst we've learned an expensive lesson on how to build if we ever do move out there.  The houses off to the left are another matter, since they're older houses that are completely flooded.  At least everybody got out ok.

My 3 year old is excited at the prospect of having to use heavy machinery to clear the mess up, so there's that.

• Like 1

I live far enough south in the Austin metro that I haven't been subjected to the flooding Robert C has.  I am, however, feeling the full effect of the boil warning; since I own two saucepans and nothing bigger, and couldn't drive to pick up water before all the stores sold out, I'm feeling the pinch on drinkable H20.

14 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I live far enough south in the Austin metro that I haven't been subjected to the flooding Robert C has.  I am, however, feeling the full effect of the boil warning; since I own two saucepans and nothing bigger, and couldn't drive to pick up water before all the stores sold out, I'm feeling the pinch on drinkable H20.

I'm about tired of not having clean running water.  My wife had the good sense to have a meeting in California this week, leaving me at home with a three year old, two large dogs, and four cats, one of whom is 18 years old and has a feeding tube as he's fighting off pancreatitis and pneumonia.  Managing that last one is becoming damn challenging.

A friend picked up water in San Marcos yesterday.  They were limiting sales even there since they were getting swamped with people down from Austin.

• 4 weeks later...

Ended up having the day off since no one predicted the amount of snow we got so - since the DMV is good for this at least once a year - nothing was treated and nothing has been plowed.

This isn't the first snow of this season for us (it's now the third), but it's the first where the snow stuck to the pavement which means everyone drives like an asshole and forgets how to drive in this shit even though we're covered in snow and ice here for about 6 months out of the year.

I'm in my late 30s and I still don't understand how people's driving skills in the snow just completely disappear. You should be used to this by now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Ended up having the day off since no one predicted the amount of snow we got so - since the DMV is good for this at least once a year - nothing was treated and nothing has been plowed.

Sadly, closing post 2 hour early so people can get home does not help us driving in for night shift. 

Took me 5 and a half hours to get home from work last night, it usually takes me an hour.  It took me an hour just to get out of Lyndhurst.  someone skipped treating the roads this time and chaos ensued.

Twenty-Five pages of people complaining about how cold and wet it is, and the occasional Californian popping up to let everyone know how unseasonably warm and dry it's been for the last, what, decade? Then someone sets the whole State on fire. Bit of an overreaction, really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Winter Storm Diego arrived in the 804 around seven this morning.  It's quarter after Noon now and I can see the sidewalks and parking lot outside of my building starting to white over.  I can only imagine what the roads will be like around quitting time.

I'm headed back to MD after work.   It will probably take six billion hours to get to my crib but if post closes, I'd rather be back at my own home.

• 1 month later...

Been getting the normal mid Mississippi January weather..IE 3 days of 40s then 2 days of 70s and 80s. 

The worst was last Saturday. Went to visit some friends. Left around 11pm the husband warned me about the fog. To get from their place to mine I gotta drive for 30 minutes on a two lane road. Full of hills and blind curves. Normally I can do 60 on this road. But the fog was so thick I was barely doing 35. Plus had 3 times when deer darted out into the road.

On 1/22/2019 at 12:49 PM, J.T. said:

It was 11 degrees Fahrenheit this morning and it will be in the low Fifties by Wednesday.  I suspect I should see my first signs of a fierce head cold by this Saturday.

Well, if it didn't happen to you, it sure as shit happened to me. 

Here is the story about how in Chicago they are just lighting the train tracks on fire to keep the trains moving

https://jalopnik.com/chicago-is-so-ridiculously-cold-that-the-railroad-track-1832177510

Of course now I want @melraz09 to come in and drop some train knowledge on our asses

Like - has he gotten to drive on train tracks that were on fire?

• Like 2