DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

One of the things I've learned as I get older is that what's a normal winter in Alberta is actually a global catastrophe everywhere else because Alberta is uninhabitable for about 4 months a year.

A few years ago, i went on a hockey vacation where i saw games in Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto in a week in February.

The coldest place was Toronto. All the winter stuffi bought for Alberta got unused, as it was 40-45 degrees.

It's been a really weird winter here this year. It seems to alternate between 0C-5C, or -20C and below, and there wasn't really a ton in between until the last week or so.

53.6 and sunny!

Shit's getting real!

(I hope someone will acknowledge my dumb Portugal's temperate weather reports)

A real European would give the temperature in celsius and make us lazy Americans do the conversion ourselves.  Just sayin'.

Here in Spokane, we just got our second snowfall of the season - about 4" or so.  The commute yesterday was terrible - took an hour instead of the normal 20 minutes.  Not real sure why, to be honest.  The roads weren't great but weren't awful either.  A huge percentage of people around here have snow tires and/or 4WD vehicles so it's not like we don't prepare.  It just took a lot longer.  I did slide when trying to stop on one curve - same spot my Durango ALWAYS struggles with, a downhill curve.  Back end just kept on going, stopping about 2 feet short of the car in front of me.  So that wasn't good :)  We've been pretty dry and relatively warm - high 30s, low 40s with no snow pretty much the entire winter.  It can stay that way, if you ask me.

To give some context - Spokane is fairly hilly with some VERY steep hills connecting the north and south sides of town to downtown.  So pretty much everyone has 4WD and/or snow tires.  You just have to.  Our weather, though, is schizophrenic.  Last year we got one snowfall all year.  The year before, we got an inch - total.  4 years ago, however, we got 8 feet of snow in a stretch of three weeks - before winter officially started.  Cue a series of roof collapses and on store actually closing because the weight of the snow caused it to sink into the ground and become too expensive to repair.  A couple years before that, we got so much snow that my neighborhood went unplowed for what seemed like forever.  When we finally did get plowed, they brought in one of those huge road grater things to do the job - and it got stuck.  I am able to work from home and that year, I was working from home and my wife would tell me whenever somebody got stuck in front of our house so I could go outside and help them.  It happened so often one day that I finally told her to stop telling me because I wasn't getting any work done.

Just for fun, here's a clip that made the national news in 2010 of one of our more treacherous hills:

Another day, another storm, another personal day burnt.

Stay safe out there to anyone who is dealing with whatever winter weather your area is blessing you with...

Edit: We must be getting hammered here in central pa, because work closed already. We almost never close for weather. I'm pretty okay with saving my personal days and still getting paid!

It rained for like an hour right as the Super Bowl ended here and everyone freaked the fuck out.  There were so many news stories about how dangerous it was out.  People were actually refusing to leave the party I was at because they didn't want to drive home in the rain.  It's hilarious.

Speaking of a foot of snow. We are suppose to get that tomorrow. Not to say we haven't got a lot already, because we have, but our region has been so over hyped this winter, I don't know what to believe.

Well, we are off to a hot start to at least 11". We'll see by mid morning. Gah, I got to go out and clear off 5 driveways/sidewalks of this shit in the morning. (Helping out the older folks who cant get out, plus mine)