DVDVR Message Board

This Weather Sucks

Dolfan in NYC

Going from 2(wind chill from -20 to -35) degrees on Tuesday to the upper 40s on Friday and Saturday is crazy. I hate Ohio weather. At least make up your mind!

Amateur. Going from not 30 here to 70 by Saturday. South Carolina - Come for a week, experience three seasons at once!

• Like 1

A bit better in the past day or so.  My street was finally plowed yesterday afternoon, but now I'm worried about car problems(it was shaking a lot when I accelerated on the highway).  A bit of snow overnight but not too much...just enough to screw up the roads on top of what we got on Sunday.  Supposed to be in the 50s this coming weekend...I do not have a problem with this.

• 2 weeks later...

In rural Kentucky, where I grew up, a little snow would pretty much instantly close schools. There's lots of people living on back roads and insuring the safety of those kids on buses is not happening.

I spent my freshman year of high school in Jackson, KY. One week we got enough snow to make a snowman. One of the teachers took our picture and we ended up with our pic on the front page of the local weekly newspaper.

The Snowpocallypse of 2014 is allegedly on the way to the 804.  Right now it is a balmy 36 degrees and the skies are barely cloudy, but if I manage to score a snow day tomorrow that will be cool.

The Snowpocallypse of 2014 is allegedly on the way to the 804.  Right now it is a balmy 36 degrees and the skies are barely cloudy, but if I manage to score a snow day tomorrow that will be cool.

Or you could have gotten snow day today like us cool kids

• Like 1

Or you could have gotten snow day today like us cool kids

I was praying for the "Open, but with liberal leave" loophole, but the CG kept business hours normal.  Understandable because the roads were fine, but I'd have still kept liberal leave open to give parents whose kids got a snow day the option to stay home with the young'uns. 

Richmond and Chesterfield closed, but IIRC, Colonial Heights, Hopewell, and Petersburg opted for early dismissal.

My kid is with her grandparents aka my ex-wife's folks (ie. not so affectionately known as my out-laws), so she is solid.

Snow started here around 9.

Projection is 10-14 inches.

Still at work. Hoping for early closure.

News says that the CG is tapping out and sending us home at high noon.  For once, we have a garrison commander that didn't spend his winters in Afghanistan and realizes that if commuters and snow plows are on the street at the same time, it kinda fucks with public safety.

The entire base is closing at the same time that snow plows will be out and about and the local schools that opted for early dismissal instead of closure will be releasing students. 

The commute home should be very interesting.

I find it odd that a giant snowstorm is about to hit and one of my customer's hasn't responded as he normally would, which is to try to ship as much as humanly possible, and then bitch when everything can't be delivered even close to on-time.

I'll finally be moving all of our stuff out of storage, in Houston, this Thursday - it's supposed to be in the 60's then. Won't miss KC's 7 degrees, which it was this morning, on that day.

Someone needs to explain why everyone has to buy toilet paper when dealing with the "devastating" :rolleyes:  snow storm.  I mean is there a correlation between a blizzard and explosive diarrhea?   Am I the only person in the DC/Virginia area that buys toilet paper in packs of 4 or 6?    It isn't like we are going to be locked in our house for 4 or 5 days. 

We closed at noon.

And then it took AN HOUR to get off post, which is maybe 5 miles.

That's what happens when a few thousand people all try and leave out 2 two-lane roads at the same time. In the snow.

I predict delayed start tomorrow.

Watching WNBC yesterday, it was so bad on Staten Island that the reporter missed his cue and was out there live. Someone then opened their front door and gave it to him since they were watching it too.

"YOU'RE ON!" "Thank you!"

We howled.

Cyrus from ECW just got out of the elevator at work and looked like he almost froze walking over here. There you go, crappy weather report combined with memories of promos about ROLLERJAM!!!!!! on TNN. :D

• Like 2

Shouldn't have said anything about our weather earlier this week.  Tomorrow I get the joy of watching my fellow Texans trying to drive on ice.  It's definitely a sight to see.  We're pretty much uniformly useless on anything frozen, myself included.