DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: R1 Match 6 Ishii vs. Magnus

Ishii vs. Magnus  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one.

Fuck Magus.  Yeah, he's alright, but the booking of his title run in TNA has done him no favors.  And he isn't Ishii.  

Ishii's match with Naito from New Beginning Osaka is must watch.

I'd recommend the following Tomohiro Ishii matches during the voting period:

vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW G1 Climax 23, Day Two.

vs. Katsuyori Shibata. NJPW G1 Climax 23, Day Four.

vs. Tetsuya Naito. NJPW The New Beginning, 11th February 2014.

If this board has any soul it'll be Ishii in a landslide. His run during the G1 was incredible. I think I prefer the Tanahashi match over the Shibata match but both are awesome and for different reasons.

Always preferred the Tanahashi match. Shame Ishii/Tanaka in February 2013 just fell short of the voting period.

I am trying to think of people who if Magnus was against I would have voted for Magnus

The list is really really short

Mason Ryan is the only name I can think of.

Mason Ryan was once on NXT... that might bias me towards him

I really want to like Magnus.  He has a whole lot of tools and can really be something one day.  Ring Ka King really showed he could work main events and put guys over and all this wonderful stuff.  But man... TNA as a brand is so poisonous it makes me want no parts of even watching matches from this year.  Its a shame that guys like Magnus and Aries are getting pulled in with the tide of sucking suck.

Ishii leaves me cold.  Could he try to be a little less generic "I do a lariat and a brainbuster and I throw forearms" New Japan guy?  

Not voting.

Ishii leaves me cold. Could he try to be a little less generic "I do a lariat and a brainbuster and I throw forearms" New Japan guy?

Not voting.

I feel bad for you. Ishii gets as much crowd support as anyone in NJPW. He's a great underdog. He's not a pretty boy like Tanahashi or super skilled like Nakamura. He's just a tough guy who will fight as hard as he can.

The problem is the roster is full of tough guys who will fight to the end.  Its not like he is in there with Tyler Breeze or something to provide contrast.  Whats the main distinguishing points of emphasis between him and Makabe for instance?  Why is one better than the other from either a workrate or a kayfabe point of view?    

Ishii was in my match of the year against Tanahashi from the G1. So no way am I voting him out in round 1.

Magnus is good, has that British dickheadedness about him, main event guy? Probably not but he is nowhere near Ishii.

The problem is the roster is full of tough guys who will fight to the end. Its not like he is in there with Tyler Breeze or something to provide contrast. Whats the main distinguishing points of emphasis between him and Makabe for instance? Why is one better than the other from either a workrate or a kayfabe point of view?

Good question. At least for me it's very subtle. Makabe comes out roaring with the chain while Ishii just comes out and won't be pushed around. Also perception. Makabe is a former IWGP champ so he should be able to hang with anybody on the roster. Ishii has long been pretty low on the card and continues to show that fighting spirit. That's why his win over Tanahashi was so special while we'd have already forgot Makabe over Tanahashi.

See, that I don't get Rippa.  I've quite enjoyed Magnus on a number of occasions teaming with Joe and Williams as well as some of his solo work in RKK.  What does he do that makes him worse than say, Gunner?