DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

It seems like you guys have some pretty sophisticated taste 'round here (what else is new!) but has anyone tasted the new Zakk Wylde? The harmony part of the solo is pretty sweet, but the rest of the song is kinda meh. I enjoyed the last album a lot, but in actuality, I think the whole BLS thing kinda peaked around The Blessed Hellride (I'll be generous and say that there are some decent cuts on Mafia, if only because that was probably the height of my fandom):

I thought the last two albums were mostly garbage, but I have high hopes for Catacombs for some odd reason. He did do one of the better cover songs I have ever heard in the past year, and I have been listening to a lot of 1919 Eternal era BLS recently. So that may have a lot to do with it.

It seems like you guys have some pretty sophisticated taste 'round here (what else is new!) but has anyone tasted the new Zakk Wylde? The harmony part of the solo is pretty sweet, but the rest of the song is kinda meh. I enjoyed the last album a lot, but in actuality, I think the whole BLS thing kinda peaked around The Blessed Hellride (I'll be generous and say that there are some decent cuts on Mafia, if only because that was probably the height of my fandom):

I thought the last two albums were mostly garbage, but I have high hopes for Catacombs for some odd reason. He did do one of the better cover songs I have ever heard in the past year, and I have been listening to a lot of 1919 Eternal era BLS recently. So that may have a lot to do with it.

I thought OOTB was a huge improvement over Shot to Hell and Mafia, so my hopes are high as well. Are you talking about Ain't No Sunshine as being one of the better covers you've ever heard, or did I miss one somewhere along the way?

Yeah AInt No Sunshine. Zakk does the vocals the only way he knows how, which makes it completely awesome.

Mafia is a mostly trash cd, but the standout songs really do stand out. "Fire it Up" and "Suicide Messiah" being the most obvious.

Been listening to a leaked copy of the new cd, and it isn't what i was hoping for, but it's really not that bad. I never gave OOTB a chance after Shot to Hell let me down sooooooo much. What are the better tracks from the cd?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah AInt No Sunshine. Zakk does the vocals the only way he knows how, which makes it completely awesome.

Mafia is a mostly trash cd, but the standout songs really do stand out. "Fire it Up" and "Suicide Messiah" being the most obvious.

Been listening to a leaked copy of the new cd, and it isn't what i was hoping for, but it's really not that bad. I never gave OOTB a chance after Shot to Hell let me down sooooooo much. What are the better tracks from the cd?

Crazy Horse, Overlord, Parade of the Dead (which you may have heard as the theme to that TNA-ECW tribute PPV some years back), Black Sunday, Southern Dissolution... pretty much the whole album is good to great. The ballads are a little meh at times, but I really enjoyed it.

Really, really trying to get into the new one, but it's not... great. Not as bad as Shot to Hell, but my hopes were much higher. Just no energy, no danger... I don't know what it is, but something in the sound has changed. He alternates between being faux-Eddie Vedder/Chris Cornell and faux-Ozzy on the vocals. He should probably just get a singer and start a new band, but I guess BLS probably still pays the bills. I dunno. I'll give it another taste when I'm not feeling quite as cynical.

Can anyone recommend a good metal review/news website?

blabbermouth.net and bravewords.com, obviously. Metalsucks.net has some crappy opinions sometimes, but they cover a pretty wide selection.

Did Zakk ever revisit the broader soundscape he had way back on Book of Shadows?  I think the nearly two decades of song writing since then mixed with the wider range of style could produce something really good.

You dudes heard the new Mastodon track yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0-EyHT1lJk

Thoughts?

I personally think it is awesome. Catchy as fuck, and makes a long night at work go by quicker.

Also, I am really getting into High On Fire. I have heard songs from Matt's side band Kalas. I was wondering, are any of the songs from his previous band, Sleep, worth checking out?

Also, I am really getting into High On Fire. I have heard songs from Matt's side band Kalas. I was wondering, are any of the songs from his previous band, Sleep, worth checking out?

Are you insane? YouTube Sleep's Dopesmoker and check back in an hour.

• Like 4

This.  Oh so very much this.

I'm currently feeling the need to tell everyone who might even be slightly interested about the new Lord Mantis album, 'Death Mask'. It's one of the most unrelentingly hateful, nasty albums I've ever heard, but at the same time it's about as listenable as blackened sludge metal albums by desperate lunatics can possibly get. The riffs are so huge sounding and triumphant that the overwhelming levels of bleakness and evil aren't totally suffocating, even though this thing out bleaks and out evils most music ever. I've never been fully sold on black metal, and I now think that's mainly because I was waiting for this album to exist.

Spoiler tagged for NSFW horrible cover art-

Re: Sleep. I highly disagree with the person that posted this that this film is "almost unwatchable", due to this alone (well, many other reasons, too, including Mystifier, Profanatica, the entire soundtrack that was released being a Spider from Metal Maniacs mixtape, and reasons not at all related to metal which aren't proper for this thread)

Oh SHIT.

10176042_10152805092414008_7599268784833

Mercyful Fate set to release "Don't Break the Oath" and "Melissa" on 180 gram vinyl!

Metal Blade Records and Mercyful Fate have completed preparations and will be releasing new 180 gram colored vinyl next month! The seminal/critically-acclaimed albums "Melissa" and "Don't Break the Oath" can be pre-ordered now and are available on red and yellow vinyl, respectively. Also, each vinyl is available bundled with an album cover t-shirt. These can be viewed and ordered now at the links below!

Mercyful Fate "Melissa"
Vinyl: http://goo.gl/pJI8PL
Bundle: http://goo.gl/2cmk73

Mercyful Fate "Don't Break the Oath"
Vinyl: http://goo.gl/NDIKUN
Bundle: http://goo.gl/0h7dhs

Yeah. Like asking if Ozzy's songs with Black Sabbath are worth checking out ;)

And those Mercyful Fate albums are great... but if it's yellow or red vinyl, I don't give a shit how much it weighs - it'll sound like my arse.

Anyone else heard the new Down album yet?  IV Part 2.  It's streaming here

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/stream-the-new-down-iv-part-ii-ep

And there's a new metal supergroup called KIller Be Killed...never heard of em actually, but I've heard Fowler and others here ranting about DEP, and they've got members from Sepultura & Mastodon so I figured someone would know about this group.

http://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/advance-album-streams-from-the-black-keys-down-swans-and-more

Guest The Magnificent 7

Yeah. Like asking if Ozzy's songs with Black Sabbath are worth checking out ;)

And those Mercyful Fate albums are great... but if it's yellow or red vinyl, I don't give a shit how much it weighs - it'll sound like my arse.

What if your arse sounds like Apollo's lyre?

Anyone else heard the new Down album yet?  IV Part 2.  It's streaming here

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/stream-the-new-down-iv-part-ii-ep

And there's a new metal supergroup called KIller Be Killed...never heard of em actually, but I've heard Fowler and others here ranting about DEP, and they've got members from Sepultura & Mastodon so I figured someone would know about this group.

http://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/advance-album-streams-from-the-black-keys-down-swans-and-more

I really liked the two Killer Be Killed tracks that I've heard, and have their album firmly pre-ordered. They sound exactly like you'd expect, but I'd expect a band involving those guys to be awesome.