DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

What's weird is the stuff people know lines up with about 75% of what I would put on there.  I think I need to redo this and do a top 20 "deep cuts" list to see how hard that would be to do.

So I guess the tl;dr version of this is definitely get S&M2 as it's such a treat to watch and listen to.  Heck, my wife loved it so much that she's putting the MP3 download on her Ipod.  And she doesn't listen to them either.  For the sake of brevity I'll put the rest in spoilers.

For starters as much as I loved the first one this one was way, way better.  I did splurge a bit and get the deluxe LP which has the records, CD, Blu Ray, MP3 download and sheet music from a couple songs.  Plus I also got a poster, photo book and guitar picks.  Not a bad deal.

As for the show itself one thing they pointed out was that the first S&M didn't have that much collaboration.  It was mainly due to Metallica's ego not fully trusting them with their stuff.  So for the second one they made sure that there was full collaboration and you see it throughout the whole show.  Which led to some of my favorite moments as they definitely didn't involve the main songs that were done before (Sandman, One, etc.)  One great example is James singing sans guitar for "Unforgiven III" with the symphony playing.  I never cared much for the song but that version was so damn beautiful that I really love it now.  And they did a good job making "All Within My Hands" nice and melodic compared to how it originally was.  Little things like that made it truly unique experience.  I also loved coming back from intermission how they played a couple classical songs with the band playing for the second one.

But aside from "Unforgiven III" the standout moment was their cello player doing "Anesthesia" and fucking NAILING IT!  The guy dove headfirst in and it was wild seeing him playing that.  They then put an effect on it to make it sound like Cliff and it gave me big-time chills.  If it's online somewhere it's worth looking up but holy crap did that rule.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

• 1 month later...

This is probably metal enough to put here (the cover certainly is). The longer this band's career goes on the more they mix it up. Now the Disclose-influenced fuzzy buzzy guitars are all gone so maybe their pedals broke and they got too lazy to buy new ones. Parts of this are real Hellhammer/Frost-y. 

Speaking of Frost-y here is them actually covering Celtic Frost

They did a Cover of the Month deal on Youtube that eventually ended up on vinyl. They did a nice swath of hardcore and metal bands, with their "Arise" cover being quite interesting especially. 

Was the original idea of this thread to introduce metal music to those that do not like/listen to metal music? If so, I point you ( I mean not metal listening people... ok, the rest of you can go as well) to the direction of Beast In Black and the entire album of From Hell with Love. I don't do links because I make you do homework, and am also very bad at this shit!

Yesterday I was surprised to find out about three new releases coming out: Wytch Hazel, Asphyx, and Raven! Here's the full Wytch Hazel (which is awesome, close in quality to the last one if not quite surpassing it; certainly an Album of the Year qualifier), and a video each for the Asphyx (coming next year) and Raven. 

Spoiler

...and yes, that is a BLAST BEAT at the end of the Raven song (!!!).

The full Raven is also on Youtube in individual songs, just look up Raven - Metal City. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cliff Burton. Gone way too soon. When I think of Metallica, it's James Hetfield/Lars Ulrich/Cliff Burton/Kirk Hammett. When I think of Metallica albums, it's Ride The Lightening (1984) and Master of Puppets (1986). Metallica's my favourite ever band and those are the two best albums. Not sure which I prefer.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2020 at 2:04 PM, The Natural said:

Cliff Burton. Gone way too soon. When I think of Metallica, it's James Hetfield/Lars Ulrich/Cliff Burton/Kirk Hammett. When I think of Metallica albums, it's Ride The Lightening (1984) and Master of Puppets (1986). Metallica's my favourite ever band and those are the two best albums. Not sure which I prefer.

While I can't tell you Metallica is my favorite band, I can tell you that those are my favorite albums by them. I can't say which one is my favorite, but while I'm partial to Ride the Lightening due to Creeping Death, The Call of Ktulu and Fade to Black, I'll concede that Master of Puppets is the stronger album overall. Also, Hetfield's voice had matured a little bit more by Puppets, so there's that.

• Like 1

I somehow haven't been paying as much attention to this thread as I should be.  But that Hu cover is just some outstanding stuff.  If you have time I also recommend checking out the other videos they put up.  The use of traditional instruments plus that distinct sound they make really takes it over the top.

On 12/19/2020 at 6:20 AM, Shartnado said:

While I can't tell you Metallica is my favorite band, I can tell you that those are my favorite albums by them. I can't say which one is my favorite, but while I'm partial to Ride the Lightening due to Creeping Death, The Call of Ktulu and Fade to Black, I'll concede that Master of Puppets is the stronger album overall. Also, Hetfield's voice had matured a little bit more by Puppets, so there's that.

Of the first three my favorite is Ride the Lightning.  I love the other two to pieces but there was something about Ride that felt personal in a sense.  In particular going from "Fade to Black" to "Escape" there's a journey from feeling almost suicidal to feeling like you can punch through a brick wall.  Then when the last two songs kick in you're ready to just go nuts especially with "Creeping"  And I can confidently say that because during 7th grade and especially while going to Greece I played this album a helluva lot which helped me quite a bit when I came back.  Now I don't know if the song placement was coincidental or what since I know "Fade" was the result of somebody stealing their gear.  But that is the thing that makes me like this more than the other two.

Sabbat have an enormous discography with different sounds to the band, so I might as well offer this up. Incredible album. 

Also, this is the band in my personal pic and I think they have a strong connection to the Hellripper sound. 

Edited by Curt McGirt