DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

cwoj2j, I appreciate your Sabaton somewhat on a musical level but I guess my threshold for basic power metal is minimal. It's also kinda wanker-y to have a whole band wear the same kind of pants and matching guitars... whew.... of course if it was nails and spikes and bullets and shit I wouldn't care at all, because I'm just a hypocrite like that. Por ejemplo: 

19470_photo.jpg?3625

So hey, it's all in the eye of the beholder. What is important is that metal lives, and we live together as fans and friends. As it has since before 1974

As far as power metal goes, I'm a huge fan of Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys albums.

------

How did I not know King Diamond put out a live album that includes Abigail in it's entirety?

Walls of Jericho is my Helloween jam. Keeper Pt. 1 is great, but they lost me on Pt. 2. 

Speaking of classics I FINALLY ordered Somewhere In Time by Maiden today (which I've never had a legit copy of), and Tankard's Zombie Attack just showed up today. Just in time for me to get back on the wagon.. *sigh*

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Tolkien dork before I'm anything else, so Nightfall in Middle Earth scratches my otherwise nonexistant power metal itch.

There's a 10,000 word essay to be written on the adoption of Tolkien nouns by black metal bands, given his devout Catholicism that suffuses his work. But I'm not going to write that. Instead, here's a former Venom cover band that plays around with the mythology and I happen to think is really fun.

Also, Darkthrone has a new album. I imagine those who are interested have listened. If not, it's what you'd expect, following Arctic Thunder. I liked it. I like this.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally bought the Hellhammer book by Tom Warrior/Fischer and it's a lot more forgiving than his prior book, in which he was honestly a prick. He owns up to as much in the beginning, saying that it took him a long time to come to terms with his past, and from the stories it's no wonder -- a lot of skeletons packed in back there. In any case if you're a fan of Hellhammer or Celtic Frost you should probably own this. 

https://www.bazillionpoints.com/product/only-death-is-real-history-of-hellhammer-and-early-celtic-frost-by-tom-gabriel-fisher/

Guest The Magnificent 7

Still the bee’s knees. Love that intro and Brett Hoffman was awesome. 

Some good cheapies in from Oldies.com 

These were a total of five bucks or so for original, sealed vinyl, albeit a bit bent and both having that cut on them which I'm still not clear what signifies -- label refusal due to damage or something? Anyway, two totally serviceable slabs of '80s metal for pennies on the dollar; I'll take it! (Wild Dogs is particularly awesome)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my Blower Box bass pedal back tonight, which sounds just like Blacky's tone on all the Voivod stuff (it would help if I could play bass worth a shit but hey I'll take what I can get). So, here's a very nice rarity

and speaking of great Metal Massacre rarities 

Man, these two bands just send a special shiver up your spine that nobody else can. So different, yet a similar reaction. This is what makes me obsessed with heavy metal, this is why it's the best. 

And after saying "this is why it's the best" I feel obligated to provide a more palatable example of why, so here's this

Spoiler

FUCK YOU YOU DON'T DESERVE TO KNOW WHY ITS GREAT THIS IS WHY IT'S GREAT FUCK OFFFFFFFFFFFF

(sorry, that's just me being a dick. Here's Iron Maiden) 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Just stumbled upon this and it is so epic I can’t even.

sludge? Doom? Heavy metal?  Everything? At one point there’s just a woman singing by a raging river. The album is 3 songs, 80 minutes. Got to listen to every minute.

between this and the Nasheim album, I’m really into these super long form songs that twist and transform into all sorts of stuff. 

Time to dust off Mirror Reaper and Dopesmoker. Any other super long songs to recommend?

On 8/23/2019 at 8:53 AM, Lawful Metal said:

Any other super long songs to recommend?

Something by Reverend Bizarre, perhaps? I've been wracking my brain with this question for a minute now and all I can really think of is bands that tend to play somewhat long or very slow songs, like Skepticism or Thergothon. Speaking of which...

On 8/23/2019 at 12:32 PM, christopher.annino said:

I know they're pretty divisive amongst metal fans, but this new Killswitch Engage will not get out of my head. Definitely a throwback to the first record. 

I like what I've heard of the new KSE. Naturally, it's getting a lot of airplay of SiriusXM's Liquid Metal. I pre-ordered my copy.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

New Lindemann! Till's gone back to German lyrics for the upcoming album, his second collaboration with the frontman of Pain and Hypocrisy, Peter Tagtgren. The first album by the duo (Skills in Pills) had all of its songs in English.

Edited by FireThunder

This came in from the Bay Area with a beautiful foil printed cover. I got five bucks off it because it has a barely bent corner. I don't get it -- folks are way too picky with their record conditions (probably because of bullshit resale value). I don't buy them to sell em, I buy em to listen to em...

Anyway, RIP David "Blackmoon" Parland who wrote most of this. It's way better than his other band (Dark Funeral)

Ex-guitarist of legendary Japanese maniacs GISM's band. RIP Randy. This stuff RULES

Ah, for that matter, here's GISM. Strongly straddling the barrier between metal and hardcore back before that was a thing, well known for lead maniac Sakevi who would wield flamethrowers, throw cinderblocks into the crowd, fire blanks from pistols into the crowd, etc. Find some live video of these guys and be amazed at the dichotomy between this guy screaming and growling while otherwise looking bored, wearing fatigues and bullet belts while the other members looked like Motley Crue or WASP got together with Venom and decided to bite each other's styles. 

EDIT: I am 90% sure I've posted the latter album here before, but fuck it

So, here's the live video 

Edited by Curt McGirt

• 3 weeks later...