DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

Yeah me listening to a new Obituary song, that ain't happening. Anyone who didn't give up on them after The End Complete is desperately holding on to something that isn't there anymore. I'd still love to see 'em live though!

EDIT: Speaking of great metal shows I'm missing, not only did King Diamond already pass through but Raven/Manilla Road is at Reggie's in Chicago this month and I'm probably missing that too. I might try Manilla in Indy but we'll see. Unemployment's a bitch.

I have no idea how I discovered this. Some high school metal band from around Trenton, NJ plays their second show at Champs Bar. The crowd is mostly their friends, it seems like. This sounds innocent enough. But go to the 10:30 minute mark and watch for about 45 seconds. A 30-ish man who looks like he was a backup small forward for a mid-major college basketball team emerges from the back hallway and starts tossing windmills and doing jump kicks like he's at a Youth Of Today show in 1983. He does not hold back at ALL and has absolutely no fear punching teenagers in the face and kicking them in the ribs.

Guest The Magnificent 7

WTF!  I hadn't checked the board and especially this thread in a few days, so missed these Carcass / Obituary show posts. I went last night (Saturday) and just got back, have been looking forward to it for a long time - second time seeing Carcass.  I thought you were in Holland, Zheroen?  If I would have seen this thread we should have met up at the show, shot the shit about the time I dusted you in FIFA, etc. If you happened to see a dude with a Necroticism album shirt that was me.  I took my wife for her first extreme metal show in the 16 years we've been married.  She enjoyed it even though the music isn't her cup of tea. 

For me, this show was incredible.  I had absolutely no hope that Carcass would play Forensic Clinicism / The Sanguine Article (my favorite song ever), but not only did they play it (well the second part), but it was 2nd in a 4 song close with no breaks that pretty much was my 4 favorite Carcass songs in a row.  Check this AWESOMENESS out:

Corporal Jigsore Quandary

The Sanguine Article

Ruptured in Purulence

Heartwork

It was GLORIOUS.  Imagine your favorite band ever and them playing your setlist.  This was it.  They absolutely killed it. 

They opened with Buried Dreams and Incarnated Solvent Abuse.  Plenty of good stuff sandwiched between that sweet opening and the awesome closing songs.

As for Obituary, my second time seeing them, too.  Last time was years ago with Napalm Death, and they are still great live.  I wanted Chopped in Half and they delivered.  No "Dying", but they were good throughout. 

Exhumed weren't my thing, but I actually thought Noisem were pretty decent. 

Surgical Steel is awesome.  Whoever said it wasn't is talking crazy talk. 

There was one guy who ran past me like Carl Lewis to the pit when Keep on Rotting in the Free World hit, and I thought that odd since he hung back on every other song. He must be the world's biggest Swan Song fan in the world. 

All in all a fantastic show at a decent venue.  Came away with a sweet new Carcass eagle tour shirt with the wings as the surgical tools, their new EP, and a poster signed by the band.  And my wife is going to not leave me even after subjecting her to this.  :)  Can't beat an evening like that with a stick. 

Nah, I actually live in the Louisville area (although I am of Dutch heritage and I'm close with cousins in the homeland).   I attended the show with my girlfriend and a couple of our friends who drove for a couple of hours to make the show, plus we ended up running into some other comrades at the bar.  I had no idea you were even remotely near my region, Mag7, otherwise we could have shot the breeze and discussed how PES 2015 absolutely obliterates FIFA 15 in every way aside from licensing.

Diamonds Pub and Billiards is a pretty nifty venue for a metal show, this was my first time seeing a concert there.  Apparently it has sort of usurped Headliners Music Hall for live metal shows with a decent bar in Louisville (which is where I last saw Carcass in March and Obituary in October of 2009).  Obituary was definitely on point.  I was slightly concerned that it wouldn't live up to the last time I saw them, after having read about personnel changes and not being terribly-impressed with the latest album - but they can still fucking bring it live.  I kind of hovered near the bar area/behind the soundboards for their set, along with Exhumed's performance (missed almost all of Noisem due to a delayed-arrival, unfortunately), more out of concern for my girl due to the fact that it was the first metal show that she had ever attended.  However, when Carcass took the stage and the strains of "1985" started playing, we just had to get as close as possible.  I can't really add much more to your review other than to mention that we were extremely close to Bill Steer's side of the stage, and one of my girlfriend's friends caught one of his guitar picks after their set was over.  All in all, she enjoyed it immensely and asked if we could go to another show like it again sometime soon - which only served to elevate my already high opinion of her, haha.

I ended up opting only for the purple Carcass tour shirt at the merch stand, as I had already blown about $50 at the bar on drinks for myself and friends.  When I got home, I ordered the new EP from Amazon.com, so I should be listening to it on Tuesday while playing PES 2015 on my next day off from work.  Good times.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Nah, I actually live in the Louisville area (although I am of Dutch heritage and I'm close with cousins in the homeland).   I attended the show with my girlfriend and a couple of our friends who drove for a couple of hours to make the show, plus we ended up running into some other comrades at the bar.  I had no idea you were even remotely near my region, Mag7, otherwise we could have shot the breeze and discussed how PES 2015 absolutely obliterates FIFA 15 in every way aside from licensing.

Diamonds Pub and Billiards is a pretty nifty venue for a metal show, this was my first time seeing a concert there.  Apparently it has sort of usurped Headliners Music Hall for live metal shows with a decent bar in Louisville (which is where I last saw Carcass in March and Obituary in October of 2009). 

I was at that same Carcass show at Headliners back then as well, ha.  I'm about 2.5 hours from Louisville, but my parents live southeast of there so I get down that way more than a few times a year and am familiar with the city. 

I liked the Diamonds venue, thought it was funny when I had to go to the car that the main entrance was a sports bar part where folks were watching college football games and there were some puzzled stares at the metal heads passing through.in front of the big screen.  Lots of couches and shit in the venue, too, so you could rest the legs between sets.

We were on the Bill Steer side as well, but up in that wing area up those couple of stairs.  I did see a woman get hit in the head with a guitar pick and wonder what it was that hit her in the head, and it looked like two friends of hers were pointing at the ground explaining things at the end there (I was hanging around waiting to see if they would do an encore).  Maybe that was your crew.

If I get a soccer game this year it will definitely be PES. 

Carcass were so good I'm still buzzing about it a few days later.  If they come to your area you need to do whatever it takes to see them. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

You were cool, once?  Just jokin'. 

Honestly I really can't give much of a verdict on that album because I didn't listen to it much because every time it randomly comes on the Ipod, it's 450% louder than every other song on my device and it either blows my ears up if I'm wearing headphones or my car stereo up.  So I get pissed and just skip it if it's a song from that one. 

I can't be bothered finding the remixed version or whatever where they fixed the compression / loudness issue. 

When it first came out I remember I thought it wasn't terrible and I wanted to like it, but it definitely wasn't crazy good or anything. 

Yeah, I grabbed a lossless rip off the guitar hero version of the album and it sounds so much better.

"Best album since Load" isn't the highest praise, but it's a perfectly decent record, with one stand out great song (Cyanide) IMHO.

Metallica rules.  Garage Inc. and Stanger suck eggs.  I never listened to garage inc. all the way through until a few years ago and the covers STINK.  I heard all the radio singles but the vocals on the Mercyful Fate and Motorhead shit makes my asshole frown.  Death Magnetic's good.  Hetfield's voice is blown.  Their live repertoire is fucking amazing.  Just try not to enjoy yourself when they do any of those old twin guitar solos.  Fucking A.

Testament have been putting out better shit for their entire lifespan.  Put The Gathering against anything the other old thrash bands were putting out at the time.  Put The Gathering against anything the new thrash bands are putting out right now. Important thing is to crank The Gathering way the fuck up regularly. Only skippable album would be Demonic.

I love Death Magnetic.

It reminds me a lot of justice for all in that it takes a few listens to get into, but by god is it mixed ridiculously loud.

I'm currently digging Blind Guardian, what other bands (Demons and Wizards apart) are worth checking out in a similar being.

Hey, you get to see Revenge! Kudos. 

Funny/cruel story, some friends of mine went to see Watain. One of them wanted to fuck with another in their group, so he took his finger and wiped it along the edge of one of the Watain dude's boot while they were soundchecking, then wiped it under his friend's nose. While dude was trying not to vomit the rest of the group and the band were laughing their asses off. 

If you don't know Watain you won't get the joke, sorry.

• 1 month later...

Hey, it's January, might as well revive this.

Finally got a new CDR burner so I went a little Soulseek crazy and downloaded a ton of stuff I've had an my to-get list. This one was unexpectedly maybe top of the entire pile. It's a bunch of Swedes that played in various death/black/thrash bands (the main dude was in Unanimated, Entombed, Merciless, fucking NIFELHEIM, so he clearly gets around) but the music is not that at all. It looks like they're a stoner band, but this is unabashed NWOBHM that has a strong whiff of the first two Maiden records. I really can't recommend it enough, the whole thing is incredible. 

Speaking of Nifelheim they just put out a tour-only EP. This song eerily sounds exactly like a local band I've known for years... completely bizarre. The other two songs are much more traditional Nifeheim. The Broderna Hardrock ride again...

I didn't listen to a lot of new stuff last year but this is right up there with the new Teitanblood. Never thought MD would come up with such a dark and awesome work as their classic material. Great bass playing, especially...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest The Magnificent 7

So I used to check Primordial's site once a month since Puritan's Hand to see if they'd have news about a new album.  Nothing, nada, never any updates at all.  So I stopped checking sometime last year, but just checked and these dudes released an album at the end of November.  WTF.  I'm hitting up the store tomorrow and buying it.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Ok so I didn't make it down to the record store today and I'm not driving down there right now since I'm about to settle in to watch the Hoosiers make Purdue cry.  Tomorrow, though.

I offer these three songs, though, so you don't feel like you wasted your time clicking on this thread...

Guest The Magnificent 7

So while I'm watching the ND - Duke game waiting for IU - PU to start I decided to go back through this thread to check out some of the older recommendations.  Saw this:

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:07 AM

Also, Primordial has a new album coming out in November.  Fuck yeah.

I posted that.  I really need to get checked for early onset of Alzheimer's.  Memory is fucking shot!

Guest The Magnificent 7

I'm no expert on them, but I do like the song The Ghost I Used to Be off that album.  Been listening to that lately.  Pretty good slower stuff.