DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

I can't say I agree totally. The new songs smoked live but on record they just don't hook me as hard as anything off Heartwork or Necroticism. In some ways it just sounds like a blatant crowd-pleaser (and it did please the crowd last night) but where's the growth and challenge? It's the only Carcass record that doesn't offer anything particularly new or vital, instead just cobbling together the bits and pieces of their legacy that people liked best and smothering it in a too-crisp modern production. A good record, yes but not the masterpiece everyone is claiming.

Comeback of the year still easily belongs to Gorguts.

• 4 weeks later...

Forget my earlier post about the Amon Amarth doing the Black Sabbath tribute being the best, because I found another tribute by them from the same exact album that rocks just as fucking hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyvfFOeM7nI

Any song with

Some fellas like their women shortSome fellas like 'em roundBut me I like the kind of girlThat makes me stand up to go down!

as part of the lyrics is infinitely awesome.

While looking over the lineup of shows coming to our local metal club (Ground Zero, Spartanburg, SC) I came across a pretty good Death Metal band from South Carolina. Your Chance To Die features brutal rhythms, contrasting melodic sections and amazing female death vocals. They have done some overseas tours and their second album came out this year. I had no idea there was a death metal underground in South Carolina.

• Like 1

On the subject of female fronted metal bands, I've been listening to Oathbreaker's "Eros/Anteros" pretty much everyday for the last few weeks (along with Touche Amore's "Is Survived By", but I'm emo like that). Just another post-hardcore Belgian outfit with some tinges of black metal influence, floating around with some other stuff, probably. This is one of their more atmospheric tracks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Huh, I had no idea Messiah put out anything after Extreme Cold Weather. Doesn't sound as intense, little more generic. Still not bad.

They put out three more records after that but only Choir Of Horrors and Rotten Perish are worth a listen. A little more generic, yes, but still pretty killer.

I'm really out of the loop with new metal and hardcore (my job and my kid have put paid to most of my spare time and I only have an FM radio and tape deck in my crappy car. I mostly listen to the same Def Leppard and Status Quo songs over and over again thanks to my local shitty classic rock station). Anyway, I went on the Relapse website for the first time in years just to find out who the hell is on there nowadays and found this. Surprised I hadn't read it here: Ultramantis Black signs to Relapse.

That new Big Business is great, brilliant band. Anyway, just so this post isn't a bunch of boring shit, here's some raging grind/crust from Sayyadina.

Their album Fear Gave Us Wings is fucking brilliant. Hammering grindcore with a guitar tone like lead, if you like Nasum check them out.

Counting down my twelve favorite metal records of 2013 (three per day):

12) Grave -- Morbid Ascent EP

It's Grave, so you know what to expect: pulverizing Swedish death with lots of crushing grooves and old-school morbid atmosphere. And Grave delivers. This EP picks up right where last year's full-length left off and consolidates Grave as the best of what's left of the old Swedish scene.

11) Carcass -- Surgical Steel

How funny that my favorite song on this sounds the most like their most reviled album. It's the Swansong moments that get me the most on Surgical Steel, an insanely overrated but still solid record. Wish they'd been a little more adventurous and filthy with this but that's just me being non-conformist since apparently most people worship this record front-to-back already.

10) Coffins/Noothgrush -- Split 12"

Coffins may be 2013's most improved band, dropping an impressive slate of releases (this split, an EP and LP) that all killed. Just listen to that fat slab of a death-n-roll riff, the brute swing of it is madness. I love it! The Noothgrush side is their first new music in 17 years and it's pretty dope: dark bluesy sludge ala Eyehategod but with a crustier vibe. Try "Humandemic" on for size:

https://soundcloud.com/user3105090/noothgrush-humandemic-6