DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

Since "Looking askance at the circle pit" is gone we need a thread for metal and hardcore so here you go. 

My contribution for the day: http://dietimechicago.bandcamp.com/

Die Time came to Indianapolis and played with my band last weekend. For a three-piece, they're a force of nature. Distorted 8-string bass (!) locks in with the drums to create a whirlwind of thrashing punk madness. To create a visual for the bassist, if you've ever seen a flamenco guitarist, imagine that at the fastest speed possible. They hooked us up with their to-be-released 10" and it's not left my turntable since. It's weird at first to hear but once you get into it...

Saw Deafheaven and Marriages not too long ago.  Best show I'd seen in years.

SUNBATHER is my album of the year so far, and "Dream House" is my song of the year.  I'm just blown away. 

Marriages seemed out of place on a metal bill, but they fit in with Deafheaven just fine.  Excellent post-rock stuff.

Also got to see Intronaut, Scale the Summit and Mouth of the Architect.  Everyone but MotA were incredibly boring and awful.  Scale the Summit is my least favorite band in the world now.  Intronaut was so boring.  There's no weight to their new music.  And no Australopithicus.  Shame.

My go-to Mouth of the Architect song.  Love metal covers of pop songs.

Dilemma time.

The Summer Slaughter Tour is coming next week, and I can't decide if I want to go.  The Ocean is one of my favorite bands (and PELAGIAL is one of my favorite albums of the half-year).  However, I have never been a fan of the Dillinger Escape Plan (and I've tried).  Further, the other bands on the tour range from outright hatred (Periphery, Norma Jean) to well, they're okay (Animals as Leaders, Cattle Decapitation, Revocation, Aeon) to who? (Rings of Saturn, Thy Art is Murder). 

In other words, I'd really only want to see the Ocean.  But they tour North America very infrequently, and this is it.  And, they've admitted in interviews they're only playing a 20 minute set. 

I think I talked my way out of it. 

The whole math-thing is just so erroneous. I could maybe see it applying to Calculating Infinity, but after that, they are just one of those bands, influenced by both hardcore & metal at various points, but not strictly playing within the boundaries of either. And they really are a smashing live act, just go all out every time. Not for everybody of course, but I do think everyone should try see them at least once as I know people who aren't fans who really enjoyed them live.

But then I think calling music math anything is really silly anyway. Not that silly genre titles is a rare thing in metal though; who ever came up with Djent needs a slap in the face. At the very least

• Like 1

I'm not really a huge hardcore fan at the end of the day either, so my struggles with DEP are probably not that surprising. I don't dislike them but they are one of those acts that just doesn't quite land in the spheres that work for me. More an act I accept I don't totally get, and that has more to do with my own tastes than it does with them.

I liked Dillinger's work with Mike Patton, that's about the extent of it.  Recognize that there's a lot of talent in the musicians themselves, just not my personal cup of tea.Anyone care for Last Chance To Reason, at all?  They are currently on indefinite hiatus, as their vocalist Mike Lessard has joined The Contortionist full-time, but I was extremely keen on their work - very Cynic-esque, IMO.  And also, they created an awesome side-scrolling shooter to accompany their album Level 2, check it out:

So Black Sabbath 13 totally doesn't suck and I am a happy person.

NO ONE MAY SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT IT THEY ARE MY FAVOURITE BAND LEAVE ME ALONE.

Seriously though, every single thing on this is better than Psycho Man, which has to be the only reasonable standard of measurement for where one could have hoped this was going.

Boy am I glad to have this thread back as I've been pumpin' the metal jams and gotta share:

I ran into Ross Dolan of Immolation on the street and he was such a cool humble guy and it blows me away that he can sing like this because he talks in a high-nasal Yonkers accent. This track is sick because Immolation is awesome!

Stormcrow have been tearing it up on my iPod: the perfect marriage of Disrupt, Asphyx, Bolt Thrower, & Winter!

I liked 13.  A handful of the songs are really good, while a handful are a bit too much of a direct copy of something they did between 1970-1973.  More importantly, I have tickets to see Black Sabbath next month.

Two quick things:

The new Rob zombie is actually pretty decent for a dude who hasn't done anything worthwhile musically for around 15 years.

If you guys are into black label society then you need to check out the Texas hippie coalition or THC for short. Very similar in styles and the vocalist has got some great pipes, especially considering that he is a 450 lb Charlie Daniels/walrus lovechild thing.

Swans recently said they are putting out two new albums in 2013. From what I understand one is going to be based on the tour they are doing right now, and the other will be studio tracks. I think it means we will finally get a studio version for some of the songs played on the 2012 tours. This is the one I'm most in to: 

• Like 1