DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

Got the new Chimaira album Crown of Phantoms (Fan Edition) in the mail yesterday. After a few listens, it's definitely a Chimaira album and losing half the band, may have been an improvement if compared to their last album. Worth a listen, I'd say.

I'm going to go see Eyehategod in just under 2 weeks. Only be the 2nd time I've seen them. Just need Crowbar to head to Europe next as it's been a decade I think since I last saw them.

They played in Leeds two years ago, tops. Saw both EHG and Crowbar around that time.

And, as any Boards of Canada fan knows, 'Music is Math'. Sorry. 

I'm going to make a point of trying to link more new-ish stuff that I happen to stumble across in my listening. Digging through the current decade I'm currently going through some random-ish metal selections from 2011 and 12 and stumbled upon this death/doom album from... Spain? Okay. Quite a decent album actually, as far as taking punts on pretty much unknown material goes. Pretty well produced. Fairly predictable quiet/loud/quiet/loud thing that bands in all styles have been doing forever. But clearly a band that put some work in and it's not just some "hey let's go make a record" thing. A one-trick album, but they're very good at their one trick.

Evadne - The Shortest Way

http://youtu.be/lSKpAJCYQK4

Track listing:

1 No Place for Hope   7:00 2 Dreams in Monochrome   7:49 3 This Complete Solitude   9:10 4 One Last Dress for One Last Journey   8:21 5 All I Will Leave Behind   11:01 6 The Wanderer   4:25 7 Further Away the Light   8:02 8 Gloomy Garden   9:30

Guest The Magnificent 7

Aye, Enemy of the Music Business was such a beast after some of the experimentation with Diatribes through Words.  Another fave...  

Such a good live act as well.

Saw Black Sabbath last night.  For a bunch of guys in their mid-60's, they still rock pretty damn hard.

Played 4 songs off the new album (Age of Reason, End of the Beginning, Methademic, and God is Dead?) all the things you would naturally expect (War Pigs, Iron Man, Paranoid, Black Sabbath, Snowblind, N.I.B.) and a few semi-deep cuts (Under The Sun, Into The Void, Dirty Women.)  Really good show overall, although I am disappointed that Wheels of Confusion didn't make it onto the setlist, since they were playing it last year during the handful of concerts, but I guess it got dropped when they added in the new stuff.

I don't get why they keep rolling out Dirty Women. It might not even be a top 100 Sabbath song.

Still, Under the Sun and Into the Void in the same set is something I couldn't say I'd be all that upset over that's for sure.

I'm actually happy to hear they played 4 songs off the new album and didn't just play God is Dead? then ignore the rest. I honestly like 13 a lot for what it is (an album that obviously wasn't going to be, like, Volume 4 or something).

And I get that Ozzy's voice can't handle things like Tomorrow's Dream, or pretty much all of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage anymore, but, yeah, Dirty Women is really not that great a song.

It did give them an excuse to fill the video wall with topless women...

Oh, and Tommy did a drum solo that was over 10 minutes long.  I think maybe it was time for the old men to rest up, but he's really a god damn good drummer, even if his fills are a bit...  off.

This talk made me bust out Technical Ecstasy and really they should've done "You Won't Change Me" instead. Even if just because Ozzy's fallen off the wagon again, aside from the fact that it's great. 

Here's this. Crack some beers for Witchhunter, RIP. Or don't because that's why he died

I wasnt around too much of the last several months on the old board but did anybody bring up Amon Amarth's Deciever of the Gods? i think it is a pretty solid cd from them. I really didnt care for the previous two CD's save for a few tracks from both. (nothing like versus the world which is in the top five favorite death metal cd's for me personally)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG3SVH_x0KY

As Loke Falls

The version I got also has a bonus cd with it called Under the Influence which has one standout song because of the lack of growling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og-4b5sB-W4

As a matter of fact you can tell this has a Black Sabbath feel to it. Dude's Ozzy is spot on.

So, ahh, Carcass has a new album coming out. 

Most reunion albums suck. 

Surgical Steel, however, is going to rip your goddamn head off. 

It's been twenty years since Heartwork. Bill Steer and Jeff Walker are in their forties. 

They still have it. Hell, they're making bands half their age look like utter shit. 

Also, Watain has a new album coming out. I got an "official bootleg" copy yesterday. 

For the people that talk shit on Watain, this album is not going to endear them to the the band at all. There's a fucking ballad, clean singing, and a song with a fucking waltz part in it. The songs that are more "classic Watain" are full of curveballs, too. 

After listening to it constantly over the last twenty four hours, I can say that The Wild Hunt just might be their best album yet. 

• Like 1