DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, you can go back to the vintage days of Hobbs Angel of Death, Slaughter Lord, Armoured Angel and Sadistik Exekution. Unfortunately there are a lot of politically shady bands in the scene that are quite popular (and some of them are musically awesome besides that, also unfortunate). Still, there's awesome stuff like Stargazer going out there.

I've been crushing on HÄMATOM recently. They're... kind of a hard band to nail down. Yes, they primarily do an industrial style like Neue Deutsche Harte, but they have a punky feeliing to a bunch of their songs. They're done orchestral songs, they've done metal covers of classics like I Want It All, they've done folk metal songs with Saltatio Mortis. And a bunch of political songs like Schau Sie Spielen Krieg and Mörder.

14 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

Hobbs Angel of Death are my favorite so far. 

Their self-titled is so good. I always put the second side on first for some reason; I got a ridiculous offer for it from a friend of mine but I'd never part with it. They're also one of the rare bands that reunited years later and had halfway decent material with Heaven Bled. The only other thrash band I can think of that did that is Bulldozer, who put out the killer Unexpected Fate album.

Sad Ex is probably my fave from the whole scene. Legitimate psychos (who puts a row of safety pins through their skin all the way up their arms for live performances?!) who also have a sense of humor about themselves and somehow got even crazier sounding and faster as they continued on as a band. Plus Rok is an awesome painter.

EDIT: Necrodeath (also Italian like Bulldozer) does solid stuff years later too. They just put out a Clockwork Orange themed album for some reason. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Somehow I've never listened to them, or Trust. But I love Sortilege, ADX and High Power. And the French Black Legions bands but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Oooo, and I would be VERY remiss to not mention Agressor or Massacra.

Edited by Curt McGirt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very rare I go this part of the board. Metallica's 72 Seasons Album is out this Friday. Let's rank the ten from worst to best:

10. St. Anger (2003).

9. Hardwired...to Self-Destruct (2016).

8. Reload (1997).

7. Load (1996).

6. Death Magnetic (2008).

5. Kill 'Em All (1983).

4. ...And Justice for All (1988).

3. Metallica (1991).

2. Ride the Lightning (1984).

1. Master of Puppets (1986).

So close between Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning for top spot. St. Anger is the only one I don't like.

• Like 1

1. Ride
2. Puppets
3. Kill 'Em All
4. Justice
5. The Black Album
6. Hardwired
7. Load
8. Reload
9. Death Magnetic
10. St. Anger

I've got half a mind to switch Kill 'Em All and The Black Album. Justice would be higher, but some of those songs are just too damn long. I never bothered with Death Magnetic, so I can't really rank it, but I know it's at least better than St. Anger. Reload sucks, and ya know what, Load probably does, too. They were EVERYWHERE at that point, like, U2 in your iPhone everywhere. I like Hero of the Day, though. Hardwired is as good as they're gonna get at this point, they're happy and out of their Kiss in 1981 plot loss phase. 

The song Escape fucking rules. 

• Like 1

Ride the Lightning (1984)

Metallica (1991)
Load (1996)
Master of Puppets (1986)
...And Justice for All (1988)
Reload (1997)

Honestly didn't like the stuff after Reload enough to listen to the entire albums and rank them. I also know my opinion of Load is weird, but it came out at a time in my life when I needed it so it gets a big pass from me.

• Like 1

Speaking of which: 

1. Hell Awaits

2. Show No Mercy

3. Reign In Blood (shocking, I know)

4. Divine Intervention

5. Seasons In The Abyss

6. South of Heaven

And then a dramatic dropoff. Actually Undisputed Attitude was the first Slayer record I ever heard, bought, and also the first punk record I ever heard. It would TOP the list if I could do that, but it's not fair.

Slayer Live Intrusion Full Concert - YouTube

I also rented this, on VHS, a thousand times as a kid. It's wild watching again as a grown person. The death's head on Hanneman's guitar and some of the lyrics are disturbing but, well, it's Slayer. (They definitely didn't get Dahmer right in "213" as queer, which isn't fair for a number of reasons, like even though he murdered and ate a bunch of people. Come on, at least get his sexual identity right.)

I have super conflicting thoughts on Metallica. Loved them when I was younger, absolutely hate what they've become. Also to be really honest the only two Metallica songs I've gone out of my way to listen to in the last few years are King Nothing and Fuel, which I wouldn't have expected when I was younger but here we are.

I think it's best I keep my opinions on Slayer to myself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1