DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

On 6/17/2022 at 9:28 PM, FireThunder said:

There's a few shows I'm sad I missed out on. Heaven and Hell before Dio's death is at the top of the list but not going to see Maiden is pretty high.

Phew. I never saw Dio, Slayer and never saw Motorhead, when I full well had the chance more than once for any of them. Haven't seen Priest or, thinking about it, Alice Cooper either, which probably is as bad as never seeing Lemmy onstage. Thankfully I have seen Blue Oyster Cult three times...

Shit, I never saw Manilla Road either before Mark the Shark died. I guess Cirith Ungol is still on the list? I mean I didn't expect to see Mayhem ever ever ever and that happened this year.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Phew. I never saw Dio, Slayer and never saw Motorhead, when I full well had the chance more than once for any of them. Haven't seen Priest or, thinking about it, Alice Cooper either, which probably is as bad as never seeing Lemmy onstage. Thankfully I have seen Blue Oyster Cult three times...

Shit, I never saw Manilla Road either before Mark the Shark died. I guess Cirith Ungol is still on the list? I mean I didn't expect to see Mayhem ever ever ever and that happened this year.

In 2002 I saw Maiden, Dio and Motorhead all on the same show at MSG (And yes it was every bit as awesome as you can imagine). In 1999 I saw Motorhead at The Chance in Poughkeepsie with the opening act being Dropkick Murphys (before they essentially became a Pogues tribute act and I stopped caring about them) and in the mid 2000's I saw Heaven and Hell at the MSG Theater and the opening act was (of all bands) Coheed and Cambria (who some people shit on but they are actually pretty good).

• Like 2

A lot of the reasons I didn't go to, for example, Slayer shows was that they would play with those kind of bands that I knew I wouldn't like. Even though I'm still that guy, I want to tell anyone younger reading this to not make the same mistake. Besides, you might end up being able to say that I you heard Devildriver play a CD over the PA while faking their live set, or Philip Anselmo saying he's the King of Heavy Metal and his terrible band is "the best fucking band in the world"! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Phil, Rex, Zakk, and Charlie Benante will be touring next year as "Pantera."

I don't like them just using the name with no modifiers, but it might still be a really good show.

Edit: apologies if this has been discussed in a different thread and I missed it.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since it went in the Dynamite thread it might as well go here too

Hell's Headbangers already has it available on CD and MC, waiting on the vinyl myself

If you want something a little lighter ("lighter" being figurative), here's the new Satan. I swear they cannot put out a bad release these days and how many bands that date back to the late '70s can you say that about? 

I listened to the new Ozzy album on spotify on Friday night and I thought it was pretty good. The standout tracks are the ones with Tony Iommi and Eric Clapton. 

Clapton apparently thought people would find the "I don't wanna believe in Jesus today" line to be controversial.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2022 at 5:07 PM, Lawful Metal said:

I'm pretty ok with the new Megadeth, which I didn't expect.

I enjoyed it, but not as much as Dystopia. That one was a REAL pleasant surprise - this one didn't knock my socks off in the same way. I'll put it in the class of "pretty solid" with United Abominations and 13.

On 7/16/2022 at 4:24 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Phil, Rex, Zakk, and Charlie Benante will be touring next year as "Pantera."

I don't like them just using the name with no modifiers, but it might still be a really good show.

Edit: apologies if this has been discussed in a different thread and I missed it.

If it has, I haven't seen it. As you might guess, I have some big feelings about this one. On the one hand, if you're gonna do it, these are 100% the guys to do it - the pedigree is there, and given the relationship both guys had with the brothers, it's about as close to "in-house" as you can get. They even brought Dime's guitar tech back to work with Zakk on dialing in the tone just right (I'm not 100% sure, but I'm assuming he'll be playing on some of Dime's stuff at least part of the show - every time I've seen BLS he uses a Razorback for at least a handful of songs).

On the other, it's a little gross. I don't care how many times they trot Rita out to say the brothers would have blessed it, if Vinnie wanted it, he would've done it while he was here. Period. Then you have Rex, who wrote a lot of nasty things in his book about Phil, out here emphatically going "If we ever toured, it wouldn't be with Zakk Wylde, I can tell you that." Go$h, I wonder what'$ changed hi$ mind? 

I say all this with the full acknowledgement that I *will* be going to this when it comes to my town. I really can't sit there and justify shitting on it and 'voting with my wallet' when I've seen Down, BLS, and Anthrax countless times since Dime was killed.

Like you, however, I'm really not digging the whole "no modifiers" thing - this really ought to have been called like, "Reinventing the Steel" or something.

On 9/12/2022 at 2:33 AM, Phantom Lord said:

I listened to the new Ozzy album on spotify on Friday night and I thought it was pretty good. The standout tracks are the ones with Tony Iommi and Eric Clapton. 

I thought the Clapton one kinda sucked, but agree on the Tony tracks big time. His and Zakk's are the only ones I keep revisiting (though the title track is a bit of an earworm). It's pretty interesting to me to hear Ozzy singing about mortality and things like that on this one and the last one, when so much of his usual lyrical output is the total opposite - think "I'm Not Going Away," "I Don't Wanna Stop," "You Can't Kill Rock N Roll," "Hellraiser" etc. Now it's like, some of this stuff is almost a thought experiment on "What if Johnny Cash's version of Hurt was heavier?" Overall, it's a pretty solid effort, and while I probably won't ever revisit it cover to cover, I think it's probably his strongest record since Down to Earth, possibly Ozzmosis in some places.

On 9/28/2022 at 4:26 AM, Travis Sheldon said:

Although it's hard for me to believe that Zakk Wylde can play a song without 50 pinch harmonics, so he'll have to keep himself in check.

FWIW, he's definitely put himself on a bit of a diet with them on the new Ozzy and the last couple BLS records (Full disclosure, I haven't really thought much of Zakk's output since Order of the Black is all that great/memorable). 

Editing to say, while we're still on it, there's a song called "Mr. Darkness" on the new Ozzy where Zakk just kills it. Really strong track with big "Diary" vibes, the lyrics seem to be sort of a metal version of Eminem's "Stan." 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

Is it gonna be like the Stone City Band where they hired a Rick James impersonator to fill the Mustaine spot? There really isn't anybody that sounds like him vocally...

That new Sumerlands continues to impress. The singer is similar to someone I can't place. I almost wanna say the dude for Sound Barrier but that's probably wrong. @Zakk_Sabbath tell your buddy that his solo on "Death to Mercy" is KILLER. 

There are quite a few things I've been listening to recently. Got the Sextrash debut in the mail; lyrics are even dirtier than I imagined. (Interestingly I also scored a Youth of Today record from the same distro. Talk about a gulf in between bands...) Trying to play catch-up again I got Funebre's Children of the Scorn (Finnish death metal), Saint Vitus' C.O.D. (highly underrated), Gorement's only LP (Swedish death, pretty much forgotten), Warfare's Metal Anarchy, the reissue of Holocaust's early material from High Roller Records (Metallica didn't have the balls to play "The Nightcomers" instead), just a lot of stuff. On the thumb drive front I went through a bunch of Sodom. The new stuff just isn't really good. Better Off Dead, however, came off like a stone classic that doesn't get any appreciation. I also got hipped to Liege Lord after all these years, a newer doom band called Spiritus Mortis who are quite good, the first Nuclear Assault which besides the poor guitar sound is good too and ignored by me for years, the new Sigh record is awesome, Transgressor and Contagion have held down the death-doom side of things for now... it's just a lot of music. This is not mentioning all the punk (last one was Sleep In Safety by 45 Grave which is a definite Halloween treat). 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1

So the guy singing was Chaz Leon who did have a Megadeth tribute band, covered the material with out coming off like an Elvis impersonator. Probably sang it a big better than Megadave did considering.

Anyway an excellent Thrashtober seeing Death Angel, Exodus, Testament and Kings of Thrash over a three day weekend looking forward to Death Metal December seeing Exhumed, Amon Armath, Obituary, Cattle Decapitation , and Carcass

• Like 1