DVDVR Message Board

The Batman: Arkham series.

Beat the game and most of the most wanted crimes (although I have still one more profile that is unopened). Some final thoughts:- Boss battles are a huge improvement of the previous games.I think every encounter is somewhat memorable... even Electrocutioner. They also did Bane's character justice and explained why he is just a big brute in the other games. - But then again, some characters could've been a lot more. Looking at you Shiva!

- Really liked the levels and story. It was pretty much structured like the comics: one huge arc and several mini arcs within without getting the feeling that some villains were crammed in for the sake of it.- The game is buggy. Last night I had to reboot my ps3 three times because it kept locking up at certain times (namely the Batwing loading screen). Really annoying and should not happen.- As mentioned before the countering seems a bit off. In Arkham City I could clear rooms without getting hit once. In Origins I sometimes had to struggle with three thugs due to poor responsiveness.- Voice acting wasn't bad at all. Sure, no Kevin Conroy or Mark Hamill, but their replacements were pretty damn good.

• Like 1

I've read a number of complaints about Batman: Arkham Origins freezing, glitches and loss of saves. That's not good.

Maybe i'm imagining it but didn't one of the previous Arkham games, i think City, have a problem with deleting saves as well?

Anyways, I've dropped a few hours into it so far and am enjoying it. I was a little worried from the videos and trailers that it was going to be too similar to Arkham City since it takes place in the same city but it hasn't felt like that so far. I also like that the opening in Blackgate felt like a throwback to the original Arkham Asylum game. Haven't read much of this thread since i've been staying away from spoilers but there could be something to the controls/counters not being as responsive, I've been getting hit a lot more than i did in the last game and put it down to me being out of practice but i'll blame the controls if i can get away with it!

I've read a number of complaints about Batman: Arkham Origins freezing, glitches and loss of saves. That's not good.

Maybe i'm imagining it but didn't one of the previous Arkham games, i think City, have a problem with deleting saves as well?

Arkham Asylum had a few deleted saves complaints, Arkham City had more. Arkham Origins has the most problems with loss of saves, glitches and freezes.

Anyways, I've dropped a few hours into it so far and am enjoying it. I was a little worried from the videos and trailers that it was going to be too similar to Arkham City since it takes place in the same city but it hasn't felt like that so far. I also like that the opening in Blackgate felt like a throwback to the original Arkham Asylum game. Haven't read much of this thread since i've been staying away from spoilers but there could be something to the controls/counters not being as responsive, I've been getting hit a lot more than i did in the last game and put it down to me being out of practice but i'll blame the controls if i can get away with it!

Arkham City was sometimes hit and miss mainly with the combo for shields and stun sticks.

I think we can conclude from some of the posters here that it's the controls. ;)

Batman: Arkham Origins sales down 50% on Arkham City in new UK charts.

The new Batman game has knocked Grand Theft Auto V from the top spot in the UK top 10 but its debut sales are well below that of its predecessor.

Almost of all this year’s big name sequels have seen sales slip from their previous incarnations, but the fall in interest for the new Batman game has been especially steep – with Arkham City’s launch selling ‘close to double’ that of Arkham Origns’ first week.

The primary problem is likely to be that gamers know the new game is not by series creators Rocksteady, but instead a new internal Warner Bros. studio. And even those that aren’t aware cannot fail to notice that it’s almost impossible to tell the two apart after a quick glance.

It didn’t help that the Wii U and PC versions have been delayed until November 8, but in actual the fact the best-selling Batman game in the UK is not any of the Arkham games – but instead 2008′s Lego Batman: The Videogame.

Elsewhere in the charts Grand Theft Auto V fell only as far as number two, with a drop in sales of just 28 per cent. FIFA 14 at number three fell by only 21 percent, but Skylanders Swap Force’s second week was down by 50 per cent.

The only other new entry in the top 10 was portable game Moshi Monsters: Katsuma Unleashed. It was actually released two weeks ago but, like Lego The Lord Of The Rings, owes its top 10 position to new hardware bundles.

The top 40s and the individual formats chart have not yet been released but in the all formats chart Rocksmith 2014 was the next highest new entry at number 15, with expansion pack The Sims 3: Into The Future at number 18.

Credit: metro.co.uk/gamecentral

Damn, that's a big drop.

Batman: Arkham Origins gets a 7.8 from IGN and a 6 from GameSpot. I was sure it wouldn't be reviewed as well as Arkham Asylum and Arkham City but I'm surprised at those scores. GameCentral haven't had a review copy.

GameCentral's review is now up, 7/10:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/28/batman-arkham-origins-review-the-dark-knight-repeats-4164080/

Some thoughts after finishing the main story mode:

Just like with Arkham City, I like how the story "continues" once the game is finished with NPC's and other dialogue reflecting events that already took place.

The last sidequest pretty much has to be done post-game and is built off the ending, so I like that.

Some things that kind of bothered me:

- They do the Bane breaks Batman bit, and Batman completely no sells it.  I repeat, Batman no sells the Bane back breaker.

- I think it's a little too over the top to me that the main story has Batman meeting up with many of his famous rogues on the same night for the first time ever.  Also I think ending the game back at Blackgate with another BREAK-IN was a little contrived.  Not too bad, but I would've picked a different setting.

- I like how cool Bane was in this game, but I don't understand why he beats up Alfred, trashes the Batcave and just leaves.  Bane actually figured out Wayne was Batman.  Why wouldn't he try to murder Batman in the cave or why wouldn't he blow up the manor?  

- I think my only problem with the Bane story is I'm not clear on what his motivation was.  Batman has a working knowledge of Bane and he seems surprised that Bane is in Gotham working as an assassin for Black Mask.  There's a slight impression that Batman is a test for Bane down from Ra's Al Ghul.  I've read some other theories that Bane wanted the challenge of destroying Batman since his mind and body were deteriorating to his Venom addiction, and defeating Batman would be proof of how awesome he was.  Something like that.

One thing I'm really digging as I play more is how the city is an expanded version of the AC build with differences to mirror the earlier place in the timeline. Gotham feels fucking HUGE and I enjoy that.

Less so, however, are various minor bugs and glitches. I've already had a freeze or two and the thing where doing a sidequest makes it stop giving you a waypoint option for certain main quest stuff is fucking obnoxious. Hopefully it'll be 100% patched soon.

Collecting all the Enigma data packs unlocks the new 52 Batman skin.  I've already got like 6 alternate Bat skins at this point, plus the ones for Deathstroke.  Just trying to find the last of the Anarky tags before I move on to new game plus.

Honestly, my hope is that the story DLC is the following:

Deathstroke going on some badass mission from Cadmus and Amanda Waller going off of the post-credits cutscene.  

Maybe a stupid question that i probably already know the answer too since there wasn't one in the last game but there is no 'point of no return' right? I can go back and do side quests after i beat the main story? I'm about 20% through so far and i'm sure i'm missing some of the side quests since there are gaps between some of the ones I've unlocked on the mission screen.

Agreed that it feels huge, I've dropped several hours into this already and i'm sure there are parts of the city i haven't even been too yet, never mind about any parts that may unlock as the game goes on.

Threw in the towel on the Deathstroke fight in New Game Plus. He was already to incredibly hard and annoying on normal mode, but It's honestly not worth the swearing and breaking of controllers. I can't even seem to get out of the first round without an asskicking.

Everything else in the game is almost a breeze.

Maybe a stupid question that i probably already know the answer too since there wasn't one in the last game but there is no 'point of no return' right? I can go back and do side quests after i beat the main story? I'm about 20% through so far and i'm sure i'm missing some of the side quests since there are gaps between some of the ones I've unlocked on the mission screen.

Agreed that it feels huge, I've dropped several hours into this already and i'm sure there are parts of the city i haven't even been too yet, never mind about any parts that may unlock as the game goes on.

Yeah all the sidequests will still be there.  I didn't finish a couple of them and the collectible missions until after.

I think the game does have a point of no return.

Once you go to the bridge to pursue Firefly.

Thanks, i'll keep plugging on then and clean up anything i miss along the way once I've beaten it.

Had my first freeze today. I was gliding along the bridge and while saving it just froze up. Had to reboot the console and when i started again i was in some weird textureless part of the map where if i walked around i'd fall through the floor, i could grapple but couldn't find a way out of it, luckily fast traveling to another area seems to have cleared it up.

Yes I had a similar incident playing yesterday.  Granted, I've had PS3 games freeze up on me other than Arkham City before.  So it's not like its the worst offender.  

Interestingly enough, I'm hearing the Wii U version of the game is the most optimal (on consoles).

Several agency job postings for an unnamed British developer matching text of Rocksteady career openings says the developer's current project "has been tipped to be one of the most successful games of 2014," suggesting we'll be seeing Rocksteady's next game next year.

A widely circulated Variety report from July 2012 claimed Rocksteady's next game was a Silver Age-inspired prequel with an assortment of DC characters that focused on the Caped Crusader's first encounter with the Joker, but those details that roughly match the plot line of the recently released Arkham Origins from WB Montreal. Interestingly, that article has been changed somewhat since its publication: at some point this year, the sentence talking about a 2014 or later release for the next Arkham title became "New game, ‚'Batman: Arkham Origins' bows in November." Given the details matching the recent Arkham release and that sentence change, I'm going to guess the writer was alluding to Arkham Origins, not Rocksteady's next title.

But Rocksteady's title is likely another Arkham game. Kevin Conroy, longtime voice of Batman, accidentally let it slip that he was working on a new Arkham title that was not Arkham Origins. Conroy was not voicing Batman in Arkham Origins as it was a prequel, and developers wanted a younger-sounding voice actor; if he were returning to voice Batman, I would think the game might follow Arkham City.

With potential back-to-back Arkham games in 2013 and 2014, I also have to wonder if WB wants the series to become annualized. WB Montreal began development on Arkham Origins around Arkham City's fall 2011 release, leaving a two-year development cycle. If WB wanted to target that same gap for WB Montreal's next title, their next title could hit in fall 2015.

Credit: kotaku.com

Rocksteady really can't do a prequel at this point since it just got done.  We really need to see a continuation of the events of Arkham City.  

That's my first choice, second is Batman of the Future. I'd like to see Nightwing, Robin and Catwoman return from Batman: Arkham City as playable characters.

As much as i love these games, and i'm still plugging away at Origins, i think a yearly game is too much, the quality will drop for sure unless its like the COD releases and they alternate between Warner and Rocksteady so each game has 2 years to be developed. Even then, how long can they keep a strong story going?

As for Nightwing and Robin, you'd think the next installment would be a PS4/XBox One title and with the consoles extra power there would be plenty of room to fit a couple extra characters in the story mode right?

Excuse the double post.

Finished the game this morning. Pretty damn good. I can see why its not getting the reviews Arkham City got. Arkham Asylum was a great game and somehow City was a huge improvement over that but there's not that leap in quality here. I think the game its self is every bit as good as City but its more of a side step rather than a step forward or backwards for the series. If they released this instead of City back in 2011 everyone would be raving over this in its place. The boss fights were more fun in this one though.

I've still got a fair amount left to do though, I've got one more 'Most Wanted' i haven't unlocked yet, 2 case files and god knows how many Riddler trophies and signs left to find. That reminds me of one thing i miss from this that was in the previous 2 games, There are no riddles to scan unless i completely missed something? You still have the trophy/date packs to find, which make a lot more sense than the actual trophies in the previous games, and the

Anarky symbols to scan in place of question marks

but i miss having to scan for things like newspaper clippings on characters, Ra's Al Ghul's missing body etc.

I agree with the comments TheVileOne made about the story. If City went over the top towards the end with how they finished so many characters stories then this one was a bit over the top with how so many were introduced.

In a nutshell guys, i've avoided all spoilers and even information about games i'm getting the next few months (such as this, Pokemon, would have been Watch Dogs..)

How does this stack up against Asylum and City for you all? Am I right in hearing that this was made by a different team those games as when someone said that I was kinda put off as I loved them both.

Cheers

In a nutshell guys, i've avoided all spoilers and even information about games i'm getting the next few months (such as this, Pokemon, would have been Watch Dogs..)How does this stack up against Asylum and City for you all? Am I right in hearing that this was made by a different team those games as when someone said that I was kinda put off as I loved them both.Cheers

I think the combat is a bit slower.  I love the environments and stages more.  Gotham City looks fantastic.  I love the music and how Gotham City looks a little more elegant and brightly lit with all the Christmas decorations.  The story and emotional depth here is an improvement over Arkham City I think.  I'd elaborate but I don't want to risk spoiling any of the story for you.  

I like the new enemy types, love the Bat-Cave and Alfred, getting to play the challenge maps as you progress in-game, crime scene reconstruction, and quick travel.  Boss fights are way better and more varied as well as very satisfying.  Now in terms of overall presentation, Arham City has this beat because of how well presented and polished it was.  It didn't have all the issues at launch that Origins did.  Like it wouldn't save my progress if I interrogated an Enigma thug and returned to the Batcave.  Also, there was another glitch where I after I defeated a thug I needed to interrogate, the interrogate prompt just wouldn't pop up and let me finish it.  Plus the lag issues with the cut scenes and quick travel, it's something that detracted from the overall experience.

The challenge maps are great, and I love getting to play as Deathstroke.  Multiplayer to me doesn't work very well.  It's a very clunky multiplayer.  It's hard to see anything in the maps.  I don't think this style of game worked well for multiplayer.  I think maybe they should try co-op for like the combat challenge maps or like a co-op combat arena.  

There is something just off about combat. It seems like the enemies don't "feed" your combo as effectively as they did in the Rocksteady games. I've lost numerous combos because I've anticipated a guy, any guy, attacking me...but then nobody does, they all just stand there looking at me, and I press counter to nothing or that slight hesitation makes me not hit the attack button quick enough. Drives me nuts.

I've been stuck on the "perform 20 critical stikes in one combo" Dark Knight challenge forever because of that.

• Like 1

I had a rather annoying bug yesterday afternoon which i don't know if its cleared its self up since i haven't played again yet. After collecting all the data packs in Park Row I've noticed one of them is still showing as not found on the map, forever stopping it from recognizing that part as finished. I'm hoping it sorts its self up when i play again later.

Speaking of data packs, for those who have finished the main game,

Not sure if its available during the actual game or if its only doable once you beat it. I stumbled across a mission not on the Most Wanted list or casefiles. While collecting a data pack on the roof of the church i found a letter from a Cyrus Pinkney. It unlocks the final profile that i was still missing and starts a small side quest where you have to find the rest of the letters dotted about Gotham. I've found 4 so far but there are at least 7 since that's the highest numbered page I've got so far.