DVDVR Message Board

NHL - March 2014

Dolfan in NYC

The best part to me is that all of the coaches, players, and media drinking Kool-Aid and going "but we've been playing so much better lately, look at our recent record".

I defy anyone to describe how we've been playing better in a way that explains our improvement without using the words Ben Scrivens. The power play has been somewhat better but otherwise come on.

I'd give Nashville whatever they want for Shea Weber.  I think the "changing the culture" phrase is way overused but I think the core group in Edmonton has lost too much together and no one has really emerged as the guy who is going to lead them all out of this.

The real question is why would Nashville, a team that from management to coach focuses on a defense first mindset would tradeone of the best defensemen in hockey for players that will be a defensive liability. If they can there GM this could make sense, but in it's present form, I think the Preds would ask for shit tons. Hall + RNH for Weber plus something small or something close.

I don't see us getting Weber (though obviously I want him).

Barry Trotz if he finally gets fired, on the other hand... if you want to initiate a culture change in Edmonton, don't repeat the mistake of not hiring Hitchcock because "we don't play that style" or because he wanted too much say in shaping the team or whatever the fucking reason was. I loved old Oilers hockey as much as anyone but this team has to stop building a team based around a style of hockey that doesn't even exist anymore.

The one year we ran to the finals was the best defensive team we've had in like 25 years. Not a coincidence.

Oilers fans have been talking up getting him for months but I just don't see it, as nice as that would be. You don't leave a club that's been perpetually rebuilding for a decade to join a club that's been perpetually rebuilding for a decade, or Jarome Iginla would be a Hurricane or something. I also get the impression it's one of those things where the way local fans value their assets and how opposing GM's value our assets are miles apart (meat of deal: Eberle, but you are going to have to sweeten it substantially from there). See; every Reimer rumor ever.

Yeah that stuff came from out of nowhere and was completely unneccessary. I do love the talking point that Reimer (& somewhat Bernier when he plays bad) are the problem. No way it's the fact the Leafs are on track to allow the most shots on net in a single season in the last 25 years. Can't be that. Or that the Leafs puck posession is the dirt worst in the league & 70% of every game involves play inside their own zone. CLEARLY these goalies aren't doing a good enough job trying to stop 50+ shots per night.

Honestly I still we'll squeak into the playoffs & get fed to either Boston or Pittsburgh in round one. It's the more Maple Leaf thing to do - barely make the playoffs, lose quickly & pretend there are no real problems.

You know he is going to.  They already have the fiery torches ready to chase Reimer out of town.  At least he takes the heat off of David Clarkson for now.  Carlyle is hitting desperation mode now though.  Kessel, Bozak and JVR were on the ice for over 20 minutes against New Jersey.  May as well burn them out down the stretch

Add another near 50 shots to the tally. If not for Bernier woulda been 6-1 Blues after the first period. But instead the narrative will be how close to the Leafs got to tying the game. Totally lopsided loss even though scoreboard doesn't say so.

I went to see two games on Sunday (Columbus-NYI and Toronto-NJ) and didn't see a single good team. And I get to see the Leafs on Friday in Philly as well. Joy!