DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Austin owns all the records, Punk, Bryan, Cena etc ate way behind.

I thought we were talking about post-Attitude era reactions. Bet you if you trotted out Austin today, crickets would be his response. By comparison, I mean.

Come on, Daniel Bryan gets bigger pops that that almost every week.

Great responses, everyone. Good points; I should have remembered obvious ones like Punk in Chicago at MitB.

Hulk Hogan on his orignal WWE return in 2002 got some of the loudest reactions I've ever seen.

I watched the RAW where Rock challenged Hogan and then the WM X8 Rock-Hogan match. First of all, that match is still awesome and is one of my favorite matches. It's so minimalist as to what they actually do in the ring, but man, every time I watch it, I'm completely into it. 

Second of all, the crowd for the match itself is basically unhinged the whole time. The crowd for Rock challenging Hogan on RAW is doing that annoying WHAT thing while Hogan talks, which brings them down a notch. I do appreciate Hogan following a WHAT with "CHA GONNA DO?!" though. 

The big thing about MitB 2011 isn't just how hot the crowd was for Punk in the main event, they were like that all night long. The fervor would ebb and flow, but the show opens with a massive CM Punk chant. Let us also not forget the hate Cena received. I'm not sure he's received boos like that since.

I'd like to point out that the crowd WHAT-ing Hogan during his return to the WWF after nine years was a Chicago crowd. 

You know, not because I think it means anything, but maybe FSW can tell us how this ties into his Grand Theory of Chicago Crowds. Note: Hogan pointed out that Chicago fans ran Michael Jordan out of town to go play for the Wizards, which I'm sure FSW can expound upon as well. 

• Like 1

I'd like to point out that the crowd WHAT-ing Hogan during his return to the WWF after nine years was a Chicago crowd. 

You know, not because I think it means anything, but maybe FSW can tell us how this ties into his Grand Theory of Chicago Crowds. Note: Hogan pointed out that Chicago fans ran Michael Jordan out of town to go play for the Wizards, which I'm sure FSW can expound upon as well. 

That was a weird night because that was also when they did the way too long backstage shit where a semi truck kills the Rock.

In seriousness, they really should have cut that skit after the nWo initial beatdown. No need for the semi-truck thing. 

I also think Austin, who was out there first doing his WHAT bit, probably initially led the crowd down that road. 

It's easy to feel nostalgia for Hulk now, but in 98-99 (especially after the fingerpoke)... and that was just a few years later. I think the general feeling about Russo and Hogan at the time is that he did what most of us wished we could, that it was the one good thing he did. 

Honestly, one of my favorite things about my evolving pro wrestling watching is that I've learned to accept and appreciate Hogan. 

• Like 1

In seriousness, they really should have cut that skit after the nWo initial beatdown. No need for the semi-truck thing. 

I also think Austin, who was out there first doing his WHAT bit, probably initially led the crowd down that road. 

I agree. The confrontation and beatdown were pretty awesome and then the goofy backstage stuff happened. Luckily it didn't really mar the greatness of the other stuff but it was still overkill. Still not as bad as Austin getting a cinderblock broken on one leg by Hall on RAW but selling the other leg on Smackdown.

The JBL and Cole Show (w/ Renee Young) today was just tremendous. Zeb cutting up Renee's green card, Cesaro literally swinging himself to and from the courtroom, JBL accusing Wade of being hungover. I love how WWE.com basically is allowed to exist in its own weird universe. I imagine Vince accidentally walking into them filming and wondering why there's a bear walking around or Torito is a lawyer. Of course, I also imagine Vince being very confused when all those online-NXT dudes and gals were hanging out for that weird year and a half run.

The JBL and Cole Show (w/ Renee Young) today was just tremendous. Zeb cutting up Renee's green card, Cesaro literally swinging himself to and from the courtroom, JBL accusing Wade of being hungover. I love how WWE.com basically is allowed to exist in its own weird universe. I imagine Vince accidentally walking into them filming and wondering why there's a bear walking around or Torito is a lawyer. Of course, I also imagine Vince being very confused when all those online-NXT dudes and gals were hanging out for that weird year and a half run.

Actually knowing Vince, he probably thinks this is the main show and approves of it. This is the guy who approved Katie Vick and has wanted to do multiple incest angles. Maybe this is how Triple H keeps Vince happy while he books RAW and Smackdown.

All I want now is for Torito to be a tiny little bull lawyer that competes with David Otunga to make partner at a hot shot law firm.