DVDVR Message Board

MARCH WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Speaking of THOUGHTS, I was thinking about this earlier today and was curious about Rey's place in wrestling history. Where does he stack up against the best of all time? His promo work is really weak, but does he have enough top end matches against a variety of opponents to deserve mention alongside of people like Flair, Hart, and Jumbo?

I'm leaning towards yes, but will have to go back and watch a lot of his stuff before I could make a good argument either way. Regardless, I'm starting to realize Rey Mysterio is one of my favorite wrestlers. 

To me, Rey has really hurt his all-time standing with his last few years. I started to sour on him with his Eddie Guerrero Memorial WHC run, but I really feel like he's hung around too long now.

Since we're talking Divas did anyone see AJ vs Nattie from Main Event? One of the better WWE women's matches I've ever seen.

I'm co-signing this.  I'd like to hear Nattie-haters convince me that she's still the worst female worker on the main roster.

Great match.

Clearly she isn't the worst in the ring with Cameron and Eva Marie about. Her commentary appearances are always horrible and she's not got a very good understanding of how to be a babyface; I think tonight's performance shows she is also phoning it in most of the time.

That match was so unfair to Rey, he has to go through a tournanment to win but Cena gets an instant title shot against a tired Rey. I know heel Rey wouldn't work but that should have been reason for Rey to turn on Cena and have a Cena vs Rey feud.

Speaking of THOUGHTS, I was thinking about this earlier today and was curious about Rey's place in wrestling history. Where does he stack up against the best of all time? His promo work is really weak, but does he have enough top end matches against a variety of opponents to deserve mention alongside of people like Flair, Hart, and Jumbo?

How can you hold bad promos against him but at the same time include people that don't speak English or work in the States? Shouldn't everyone be graded equally? People aren't holding promos against guys like Misawa or Kawada, right?

Since we're talking Divas did anyone see AJ vs Nattie from Main Event? One of the better WWE women's matches I've ever seen.

I'm co-signing this. I'd like to hear Nattie-haters convince me that she's still the worst female worker on the main roster.

I'm not a Nattie hater, but I didn't like that match. There was the missed drop kick followed by the announcers awkwardly covering for it, along with the visibly standing up out of the sharpshooter so AJ, of all people, could power her way over to the ropes.

April 25th of this year will be Rey making it to 25 years as a pro wrestler.

Dude isn't even 40 until December.

The 1997 awards issue of the Observer just got put up and Rey is like half of the top ten for best wrestling move with all the crazy shit he was able to do when he was healthy. Shit, he's still better than a fuckload of people, including you reading this right now, whoever you may be. Let's see you do a bullet tope, motherfucker, I don't care how many good knees you have. Rey has none.

• Like 4

THOUGHT OF THE DAY.

I think I'm retroactively hating Mike Tenay's WCW commentary because of his TNA commentary. I don't remember caring before, but now when his voice chimes in I vomit all over myself.

I have the same problem but it's with imagining the stupid fucking face he pulls when he's not talking. Like Droopy trying to solve a magic eye puzzle.

Agreed on that face. No matter what Taz or West or Schiavone would say, he just has this weird look of concern. In retrospect, it may be a cry for help of some sort. And for what it's worth, I loved Tenay when I was a kid. I think it was '96 or '97 where he had this little five minute video segment about lucha every week on Nitro, and I thought he was like this serious, 60 Minutes-esque investigative journalist or historian or something because there was b-roll of him walking through like, a mask shop somewhere in Tijuana.

I'm leaning towards yes, but will have to go back and watch a lot of his stuff before I could make a good argument either way. Regardless, I'm starting to realize Rey Mysterio is one of my favorite wrestlers. 

To me, Rey has really hurt his all-time standing with his last few years. I started to sour on him with his Eddie Guerrero Memorial WHC run, but I really feel like he's hung around too long now.

I think the arguments either for or against Rey's title runs can be boiled down to these questions:

1) Would he have gotten the WHC if not for Eddy's passing?

2) Would he have gotten a run if there was only one World title?

3) How much of his perceived success or failure hinges on the way the booking was handled at that time?

Personally, I think Rey is great. He's been around forever, is perpetually over, and has had great matches with nearly everyone. In my opinion, his difficulties with injuries over the last few years have hurt him a lot more than any crowd reaction, booking decision, or other extraneous factor. Not so much in that he can't do what he used to-- I mean, how many guys that are still around are just as good as they were in the '90s?-- but more so in that I get the impression it's difficult to commit to any kind of booking plan for him.

He's the best ever at the 5-15 minute tv match.

Let me pose this question, not just to you, but anyone else who wants to chime in: As far as the 5-15 Rey TV match goes, would you rather watch maskless, Filthy Animals Rey, doing bronco busters and shit or the Rey of the last couple years?

His stuff teaming with Kidman was good from that time period.

After I read this, I went to profightdb to try and look for Kidman/Rey tags from that period to check out, and aside from the names one would expect, I saw a couple Disorderly Conduct matches (one of my favorite C-show teams), a couple with various configurations of Barry Windham, Hennig, and the rest of West Texas Rednecks, and a singles with Bam Bam that I don't remember seeing when it was on. So needless to say, I know what I'm doing for the rest of my evening. I also want to re-watch some of the super late WCW stuff with them against like 3 Count or Jung Dragons.

Outside of his tag team with Kidman, I always hated unmasked Rey. He was just so obnoxious. I'll take knees-held-together-with-duct-tape Rey over Konnan's-bitch Rey all day, every day.

I didn't care for it at the time, but it's been a good long while since I last saw a lot of that stuff. Thats sort of why I was asking. Honest to God, I don't even know if I thought it was BAD per se, just nothing is really sticking out for me like I thought it would. I remember the initial mask stuff with Nash but really, it's all sort of a blur after that until like, the very tail end

I'm co-signing this. I'd like to hear Nattie-haters convince me that she's still the worst female worker on the main roster.

I'm not a Nattie hater, but I didn't like that match. There was the missed drop kick followed by the announcers awkwardly covering for it, along with the visibly standing up out of the sharpshooter so AJ, of all people, could power her way over to the ropes.

Was it a flawless match? No, but it sure told a pretty good story, had a bunch of submission attempts and only a few glaring mistakes.  I just don't understand how people can say Nattie is a horrible worker. I'm not saying she's the top, but to even put her in the bottom 5 divas doesnt make sense to me.

The missed dropkick was bad, and I didn't notice the sharpshooter bit. I was very into the match and thought it was cool to see Nattie really selling the disappointment of losing.

Rey is definitely up there with the all time greats. He had about a 15-year stretch where he was a top 5 wrestler in his company (at least when he was healthy), has a laundry list of great matches, and his contributions to the style of US wrestling can't be overlooked. 

Right now he's like watching Shaq on the Celtics, but I'd imagine he's top 20 all-time on most lists.

Is Rey the best babyface in the post-Steamboat era? I think he might be.

Don't hold Rey's "Ken Griffey Jr. on the Reds" era against him. The guy's WWE run was fantastic. He really adjusted to that style of wrestling pretty perfectly and was in some legendary matches and feuds. Also, the ladder match with him and Eddie fighting for custody of a child is maybe my favorite single gimmick match of all-time. I wish every custody dispute was settled in that fashion.

We also forget how revolutionary Rey was to wrestling. I really don't think the timeline of US wrestling gets to where it is now without Paul E. bringing in Rey and Psychosis and then Rey ending up in WCW. Rey put so many eyeballs onto the cruiserweights when he was breaking out stuff no one in the US had ever seen before. There's certainly no Chikara without Rey.

On another note: Watching that match and other Eddie stuff, I think he's sort of the WWE's platonic ideal for the dudes coming up through training. Eddie's WWE stuff is really what they're going after with these dudes.

Nattie also hit a nice snap suplex in that match. I didn't think it was a great match or anything but it was enjoyable. As far as divas matches go, Emma/Paige from the NXT show smokes it.

I actually preferred AJ/Nattie to Emma/Paige by a decent margin.

• Like 1

The missed dropkick was bad, and I didn't notice the sharpshooter bit. I was very into the match and thought it was cool to see Nattie really selling the disappointment of losing.

Ha, I forgot about her crying at the end. Reminded me of Kaitlyn getting crapped on by the crowd after losing to AJ and made me wonder if they're setting up a Nattie's heel turn.