DVDVR Message Board

March 2014 Football thread.

The Natural

A new international competition, the UEFA Nations Cup will begin in 2018, and replace most European international friendlies, with promotion and relegation.

www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26762899

Edit: Looks like the top division, Division A will feature 12 teams in four three team groups. 

And this will take some pressure off in Euro qualifying, as four European Championship tournament spots will be awarded to the top finishers in Division A.

The sounds like a big mess to me, and will lead to more shenanigans between clubs and countries. They are not going to be friendly games for the Division A nations, it will be harder to give youngsters international exposure etc.

• Like 1

So as more and correct information gets out, here's some more about the UEFA Nations League

4 divisions of 12-14 teams.

The winner of each division receives a Euro 2020 spot without having to qualify.

The initial breakdown will be based on UEFA National team qualification. If the breakdown happened today,, this is what it would look likeL

Division A: (4 groups of 3)

Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, England, Portugal, Greece,, Russia, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Ukraine, France, Croatia

Division B: (4 groups of 3)

Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, Belgium, Czech Republic, Hungary, Ireland, Serbia, Turkey, Slovenia,, Israel, Norway

Division C: (4 groups of 3)

Slovakia, Romania, Austria, Poland, Montenegro, Armenia, Scotland, Finland, Latvia, Wales, Bulgaria, Estonia

Division D: (2 Groups of 4, 2 groups of 3)

Belarus, Iceland, Northern Ireland, Albania, Lithuania, Moldova, Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Faeroe Islands, Malta, Andorra, San Marino, Gibraltar

Arsenal vs. Red Bulls at RBA on July 26th at 5pm just announced (and yes, it's THAT Arsenal, not the one from Argentina). Season ticket holders such as myself get the game included as part of my ST's. I will be on a plane to Sarasota (visiting the manatee in my avatar) on that day, so I will be going on the secondary market and paying for my season tickets in one shot.

• Like 1

This Euro League thing is incredibly stupid. I love how they act as if it was about giving "smaller" countries a chance when it´s more likely to turn out as some ridiculous way to keep a status quo and make it easier for the big countries to qualify.

So as more and correct information gets out, here's some more about the UEFA Nations League

The winner of each division receives a Euro 2020 spot without having to qualify.

The initial breakdown will be based on UEFA National team qualification. If the breakdown happened today,, this is what it would look likeL

Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, England, Portugal, Greece,, Russia, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Ukraine, France, Croatia

Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, Belgium, Czech Republic, Hungary, Ireland, Serbia, Turkey, Slovenia,, Israel, Norway

Slovakia, Romania, Austria, Poland, Montenegro, Armenia, Scotland, Finland, Latvia, Wales, Bulgaria, Estonia

Belarus, Iceland, Northern Ireland, Albania, Lithuania, Moldova, Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Faeroe Islands, Malta, Andorra, San Marino, Gibraltar

The whole thing of whether people get relegated/promoted or go through to play-offs makes my brain hurt. Surely it would be both if you hadn't already qualified for the tournament in question?

If you've already qualified for the tournament, wouldn't you want to try to get relegated as an insurance policy for next time? And why is a club manager going to want to give their players up 6 times in a 12 week period for potentially heated games. It's a huge mess.

It's one thing to have 24 teams in the EURO, but there's still only going to be so many places in the World Cup qualification stages to fight over - unless we're going to start having 5 team group stages in the finals or something. 

I like this not.

I really hate it for the reason mentioned before that friendlies were always a chance to experiment with new/young players and that's pretty much out the window (aside from clubs making up mysterious "hamstring pulls" and "sore backs" and all that shit you know is going on).

Great idea for a video game league though. I mean I'm sure I did something similar in the N64 days on the Fifa Road To The World Cup game that had like 180 national teams or whatever it was. Pakistan to the world cup baby.

The whole thing of whether people get relegated/promoted or go through to play-offs makes my brain hurt. Surely it would be both if you hadn't already qualified for the tournament in question?

If you've already qualified for the tournament, wouldn't you want to try to get relegated as an insurance policy for next time? And why is a club manager going to want to give their players up 6 times in a 12 week period for potentially heated games. It's a huge mess.

It's one thing to have 24 teams in the EURO, but there's still only going to be so many places in the World Cup qualification stages to fight over - unless we're going to start having 5 team group stages in the finals or something. 

I like this not.

The playoffs to determine the division winners (and thus the early qualifiers to the next Euro) will be before the Euro qualifying matches start.

The David Moyes protests will take to the skies vs Aston Villa:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26783751

That's one thing I've admired about UK supporters is their ingenuity to fly protest/celebratory banners. The most striking example is  "Avram Grant Milwall Legend" banner that flew during Wigan/West Ham when the Hammers got relegated a few years back.

Tickets to the Arsenal-Red Bulls game at RBA on StubHub start at north of $400. Between the insane demand, the fact that they haven't visited America in 25 years and the small capacity of RBA this might end up being the most sought after ticket in American soccer history.

I understand because there were NO defenders on the bench... But our best CenterMid is playing defense...

Fuck Moyes.

Course, he's playing better than the rest of our Defense.